If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who know what these are?

SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
They don't look like a resistor. This is a picture of the PCB from the instrument cluster of a 2000 Buick Century. I need to figure out what the black cylinders are and replace them.

Comments

• WingaWinga Icrontian South Africa Icrontian
    They ARE resistors

• IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    edited May 2013
    Judging from the circuit path and from a larger reference of the same board model those are bandless non colour-coded resistors.

If they are themselves caput then you need to find out what the resistance is/was and replace accordingly. If not I'd suggest resoldering them to the board and giving it a little test.

EDIT: From looking at your picture those things run freaking HOT the board shouldn't have that discolouration around them.
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    edited May 2013
    That discoloration is from my dad's shitty attempt at soldering. I was brought into the repair after he started working on it. Thanks for the help I just needed to confirm that they were in fact resistors.
  • trolltroll Icrontian Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    The discoloration is just flux on the board no big deal, is this by chance from the instrument cluster?
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    @troll yes it is. The odometer stopped working and the Web nets says that these resistors are the culprit.
  • trolltroll Icrontian Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    It should say as well what the values are and you can get them online or at a local electronics shop. You need same resistance and wattage, then a quick solder and it should be good to go!
  • d3k0yd3k0y Icrontian Loveland, OH Icrontian
    troll said:

It should say as well what the values are and you can get them online or at a local electronics shop.

If you like to save pennies like I do, avoid Radio Shack, their resistor prices are crazy.