Detroit's most awesome cop

oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French CanadianMontréal, Québec.

voilà

Comments

• ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI
    I'm excited.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA
    Oh god yes.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK
    Awesome
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan
    Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes.

This is definitely an opening-night kind of thing.

ICRC (must happen in/around Detroit, of course)?
    oni_delsChooch
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK
    Hopefully this coincides with Expo.
    oni_dels
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA
    It looks nice :D
    oni_dels
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi
    I like what I am seeing.
    oni_dels
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA
    Looks like a successful reboot!
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA
    Lots of people are whining about this, but I think it looks great. I'll see it. The black suit sucks, but it's obvious he's in the gunmetal gray suit most the time anyways.
    oni_dels
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth
    It's the dude from the Killing. Interesting.
  • LincLinc Bard Detroit
    I'm surprised they framed it so prominently as an internal struggle and it gives me hope this is going somewhere good.
    oni_dels
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA
    It looks WAY less campy and just plain awesome. I'm so stoked for this!
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA
    Lots of people are whining about this, but I think it looks great. I'll see it. The black suit sucks, but it's obvious he's in the gunmetal gray suit most the time anyways.
    It looks like it plays into the inner struggle piece @Lincoln mentioned
    Just found out this movie is gonna be PG-13. Nevermind what I said earlier, it is confirmed to suck.
    oni_dels
  • Bobby I love the trailer but share your concern. The original RoboCop has grit. The murder of Murphy to ED 209 malfunctioning in the office, those R rated moments blended in with some campy dark comedy for a well balanced popcorn flick. It's a classic. I will still see it, but I wonder if it would be a better R rated film?
  • Films can have grit through character development which does not deeply ingrain itself in tits, blood, and fuck.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA
    Films can have grit through character development which does not deeply ingrain itself in tits, blood, and fuck.
    You're right in and they're right.

Also, tits should be PG-13 :D
    JBoogalooCliff_Forster
    Agreed with you @cliff_forster. I know you don't need Rated R to have grit, but Robocop is not a deep, character-driven narrative. The grit tells the story through the shock of the gore and violence. It's a punch to the gut that reminds you just how dark the setting of Robocop's future really is. I'm going to give the new one a chance, but I fear the lack of those out of nowhere shocks will end up keeping the new film in the shadow of its brother.
    Cliff_Forster
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI
    I'm sorry but the original Robocop scene where the ED-209 obliterated the OCP board member was a very important plot point. It would have been way shittier if it wasn't as graphic as it was.
    Cliff_Forster
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX
    I'm skeptical.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri
    Bobby's got a point though. This is like future (now?) Detroit. Shit is pretty fucking real. Maybe they don't need ridicugore to demonstrate the darkness of the setting, but it sure as hell is the easy way to do it.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf-
    The original Robocop was gratuitously gory, especially that boardroom scene. Sure, it was memorable, but it was absolutely not necessary to the plot for it to be so gory (also: the scene doesn't make any sense, even in context). I would never write off a film based solely on its rating. It's entirely possible to tell a good story, even one containing violence, without splattering people all over the place on the screen.

In fact, it's easier to ruin a story with too much splattering than too little. Case in point: the new Evil Dead
    oni_delsLincMiracleManS
  • oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French Canadian Montréal, Québec.
    I'm pretty sure the original Evil Dead was gorier... Blood in lightbulb? From wall and water conduit? I think it's just because new one had access to better special FX and bigger budget...

it still sucked though
  • The boardroom scene is absolutely critical in establishing the corruption of the city's leaders. The gratuitous violence gave it some extra bite.

Some films, once you have seen them as an R, it's hard to go back. Take the PG-13 Alien Vs. Predator film, just abysmal. Live Free or Die Hard before adding the F word back in for it's unrated DVD release, just terrible.

I appreciate the argument though. I kind of resent the PG-13 target, it's a trick to walk that line, sometimes I think a PG-13 film would be far better served if they made it a little more family friendly. The Michael Bay Transformers films come to mind (The best Transformers film is still the Animated movie). PG-13 is a magical target for studios. Stephen King wrote a great editorial in Entertainment Weekly some years back about the MPAA good ole boy system and the PG-13 rating. When Return of the King came out, he said all you would have to do is change the title to John Carpenters Shelob the Spider, and bam, it's an R rated film. They cut people open, heads come off, entrails even fly into the air, and somehow, PG-13.... (money, influence) PG-13 is often that line for things that should probably be R rated, but because they make one of two small concessions edits, it makes more money. It's a compromise made for money.

I look at it and say make up your mind Hollywood. Are you going to make a family accessible film, or are you going to make a movie for adults? PG-13 is a necessary evil I suppose.
  • LincLinc Bard Detroit
    edited September 2013
    I agree with @CB. I've always thought the original was a bit over the top on the gore.

You can do the boardroom scene without splattering him across the room with a friggin' chain gun.
  • edited September 2013

You can do the boardroom scene without splattering him across the room with a friggin' chain gun.
    They could have, but you would not have remembered it. I remember seeing that and feeling an incredible sense of horror. The gore makes that scene memorable.

Murphy's murder too. Clarence Boddicker sticks out as memorable because of the violence and brutality.

• oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French Canadian Montréal, Québec.
    I post a link from a youtube clip: get a bunch of comments about story telling in Cinema and general excitement
    i post an "article": i get tumbleweeds.

/ragequit
    Cliff_Forster
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England
    edited January 2014

Some footage from the shittastic new rubbercop.

tl;dw It's just some guy in tacticool armour dual wielding peashooters. There's just no weight to its actions—doesn't move, speak, aim or do anything 'robotically'.
    The fact that the drones can't hit a target 3 feet in front of them in its unarmoured face or faphand is pretty pathetic too, even ED209 wrecked robocop up close (until, ya know, stairs).
    midgaoni_dels
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)>
    lol @ rubbercop