Superman's worth 25(canadian)Cents

oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French CanadianMontréal, Québec.
discuss.
Cliff_ForsterJBoogalooUPSLynxChooch

Comments

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan
    Want.
  • Double Want!
  • midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)>
    Superoldman
    oni_delsJBoogalooUPSLynx
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO
    edited September 2013
    I'm confused why is Canada giving Superman, an American comic hero, limited edition coins?
    Linc
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA
    Yeah, I really, REALLY want these, but confused for what @koreish said

• JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA
    I'm confused why is Canada giving Superman, an American comic hero, limited addition coins?
    Because, he's World's Finest...duh! :)
    Cliff_Forsteroni_dels
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO
    The only connection I could find was that the co-creator, Joe Shuster, was born in Canada. Though it appears that he didn't live there for very long before moving to Ohio. I wouldn't think that would be a sufficient enough reason to mint Superman on coin but, I guess Canada thinks it is.
    oni_dels
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan
    If those are intended for circulation I can see where the US mint might take exception. They have some pretty strict rules.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX
    The Canadian mint is a business just like the US Mint. Where as the US Mint has been changing the back of the quarters every year to generate sales, the Canadian Mint has taken to minting/printing anything they can get a license to do so on their coins. They are not meant for circulation but they are legal tender and inevitably some Canadian kid will buy Ice Cream with their dad's Superman coin collection.

I am sure the World Type coin collectors out there are shaking their heads.

-Digi
    oni_dels
  • oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French Canadian Montréal, Québec.
    This is being made for the same reason New Zealand had Pokemon Quarters in the 90's: collector.
    Like Digi said they are legal but not for circulation, mostly since some are marked at 50cents, 20$ and even 75$.
    edited September 2013
    some more pics:

and link to buy them

EDIT OH MY ZOD:
    Features Superman’s native Kryptonian language which reads “75 Years of Superman” in English and French.
    UPSLynxJBoogaloo
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK
    How the hell are you going to use those quarters? They're way too big to fit in a pocket.
    midgaoni_delsUPSLynxJokke
    also some specs since now i have the info:
    most of these coins are actually a bit larger than a toonie. (so they really wont be in circulation)
    some have lenticular effect (you move them back and forth and the pic change) other with funky color changing. rest is regular.
    all the back are showing the queen. (we really don't care about this part...)
    most of them come in a display box, and some even come with a legal stamp (although i wouldn't use it to mail something... who mails stuff anyway?)
    How the hell are you going to use those quarters? They're way too big to fit in a pocket.
    we have some training in the matter...
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI
    Features Superman’s native Kryptonian language which reads “75 Years of Superman” in English and French.
    They must be Superman themselves, because I can't imagine any possible way to write French in Krypton. Or am I writing Krypton in English right now...?
    Linconi_dels
  • LincLinc Bard Detroit
    edited September 2013
    @oni_dels Do you actually see 50 cent coins in circulation? I've spent a cumulative 30 days in Montreal using primarily cash and never seen one.
    edited September 2013
    @oni_dels Do you actually see 50 cent coins in circulation? I've spent a cumulative 30 days in Montreal using primarily cash and never seen one.
    vending machine don't take them and Royal Mint stop giving them to bank in 2002, so i haven't seen much since then.
    i remember seeing a couple in the 90's but still then it was rare. it started to fade away a long time ago

They must be Superman themselves, because I can't imagine any possible way to write French in Krypton. Or am I writing Krypton in English right now...?
    i admit this sounds a bit weird. i guess they mean it translate to this in both language (duh), or that they wrote it phonetically. either way this is kinda dumb.