Your tech stories (people think they know but they don't know)

erichblas2005erichblas2005 Your Native TexanHouston,Texas
Ok I was at my ex's parents place visiting my son. I decided to bring my macbook to do something for my ex. So I asked her father for the encryption key and he felt uncomfortable with my mac storing his wifi encryption key. His only condition was that I delete it from my computer while he is present. I guess he thought I was going to hack his network. I did tell him if he was so worried about security that he should change his router's password and that would be one of many ways someone would gain access to his network well that and war driving. pretty much every thing I said went over his head. Some what of a laugh.

Comments

• BetsyDBetsyD Cincinnati, OH
    My sister is no longer allowed admin access to her computers because I am her go to tech support and every time she had admin access she installed viruses/spyware that would take me forever to clean off her system.

Also anyone in the business/call center/anywhere other than IT telling my QA analysts how to test this or that enhancement that they only vaguely know is being implemented. My favorite is "Oh you don't have to test that field with null values. All of our end users know to fill that field in when they are issuing a policy." (1 production blow up later they 'have no idea why anyone would ever skip filling that field in')
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan
    Never assume end-users know anything or can follow even simple instructions. This must be done because there is always at least one end-user who refuses to read (or look at the * for required fields) or is incapable of following the simplest instruction. Testing must involve ALL scenarios, yes, even the one where the user fills out no form fields and still hits 'submit'.
  • PinkPink Colour Sweden
    Well, working as tech support I get a lot of people calling me that know nothing about how things work but still think it's a good idea to question every single little thing I do.
    I had this one customer that called me a few days ago, he said that he wanted an app sent to his phone.
    I asked him what app and he didn't know, so in response i suggested a few apps that were common until he finally stopped me when I reached a specific one.
    To send out the apps I need his username and his phone number (I have to ask for the phone number because our system for some reason constantly fails to show it when I enter his username only), but when I asked the user for this he starts sounding awfully suspicious...

- You need my phone number? Why the hell would you need that?!
    - I'm sending an application to your phone, sir. I'm going to need your number so that I can find your phone in our system.
    - No no no... That's not right! You don't need my phone number!
    - Sir, I'm more than willing to send the app to your phone but to be able to do so I will need your phone number.
    *Long period of silence*
    - You don't need my phone number!
    - *grits teeth* Sir, I'm afraid I won't be able to send the app to you if you refuse to give me your number.
    - You just keep talking bull! I'm going to call you supervisor and make sure they know how you behave with customers!
    - *sigh of relief* Okay, sir. Have a nice day!

About an hour later I get another call from the same guy, it went something like this:

- Welcome to the servicedesk, you're talking to Pink.
    - Oh... It's you...
    - Why hello sir! Did you ever reach my supervisor?
    - My number is 070-*******, Just give me the damn app!
    - Absolutely sir, it will arrive in about ten minutes!
    *Customer hangs up*

Of course I'm pretty annoyed with this customer at the moment and I decide to screw with him a little by not sending the app to his phone anyway. Give it another 30 minutes and he calls again.

- Welcome to the servicedesk, you're talking to Pink.
    - Why isn't my phone getting the damn app!
    (At this point it is clear that the customer is absolutely infuriated, so I decide to do the right thing and simply send out the wrong app to his phone instead)
    - Alright sir, I'm sending the app now.
    - *phone beeps* FINALLY! How hard can it be to send a damned app to a damned phone?!
    - Easy as a piece of cake once I have your phone number, sir.
    *Customer hangs up*

After another 20 minutes the user calls me again (Our phone system works so that if you talked to a certain number earlier, they will be connected to you again)

- Welcome to the servicedesk, you're tal... *Get interrupted*
    - The app doesn't work! I'm so tired and I just want to go home!
    - Sir, which app was it that you wanted?
    - I don't know! *User starts to cry*
    - Uhm... Sir?
    - I'm sorry, my wife is in labour and I've been missing it because it's been hell at work and now this damned phone just wont install the app!
    - *Feel like a horrible person* Oh... Well sir, Im sending the app now
    - Don't hang up! I want to make sure this works...
    - *Clear throat awkwardly* So...?
    - There it is... There it fucking is... I have the app...
    - I'm happy it finally worked out for you!
    - And there it is! HOLY SHIT! OH MY GOD! I'm a dad! *User sniffles as he is obviously reading a text message*
    - I'm happy that you got the app, sir. Best wishes to you and your wife
    - Thank you. *Hangs up*

______________________________________________________________________________________________________
    This probably wasn't the most interesting or the most relevant story, but it still felt pretty good to tell it to someone.
    Even if this probably isn't the best example of someone without any technical knowledge being a jerk (This is more likely a case of a person under stress), it still made me think, and it gave me a small piece of insight in the life of a stranger.
    And maybe... Juuuuust maybe, users are people too... Food for thought.
  • Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian Scoundrel Indianapolis, IN
    In my DE class my Junior year of High School, we used a circuit simulation program called Multi Sim, well one day we were building counters (I forget what scale integration I think they were J/K flip flop based possibly D), well I built it on the program as the instructions stated but still it did not work as intended, I called my teacher over to check it out and looking at what was happening he said something as to how what I had accidentally done was amazing because there is no way it should work like that. I asked what and was told to look closer. Apparently I had accidentally turned an up-counter into a random number generator. As to how the hell I did it I don't know.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related
    A few years ago my sisters' ex-husband wanted to show me this "really cool laptop" he got at a pawn shop. I don't remember ever seeing a slower, more shit filled computer before. He had no idea what 3/4 of the programs installed on it were or how to remove them. Several of the keys on the keyboard did not work. At the time I'm pretty sure he could have bought that same model at Best Buy for less than $350. When I asked him how much he paid for it he told me....

THREE THOUSAND DOLLARS
    from his combat pay during his 6 months in Afghanistan.
    This is the same guy who admitted to false accusations of child abuse because he, "was tired of answering so many questions about it".
    yeah...................
    oni_delserichblas2005
  • erichblas2005erichblas2005 Your Native Texan Houston,Texas
    Ok I was at my ex's parents place visiting my son. I decided to bring my macbook to do something for my ex. So I asked her father for the encryption key and he felt uncomfortable with my mac storing his wifi encryption key. His only condition was that I delete it from my computer while he is present. I guess he thought I was going to hack his network. I did tell him if he was so worried about security that he should change his router's password and that would be one of many ways someone would gain access to his network well that and war driving. pretty much every thing I said went over his head. Some what of a laugh.
    No sooner I get in the door he told me that someone was parked in the front for three hours and called the police because he suspected the man of war driving and hacking in to his wifi. He asked me if I deleted his AP info from my mac thinking the man got his address by hacking into my mac to get his AP pass-phrase and drive to his house to surf the net. I quickly changed the subject in fear I would spend the next hour WWW works. OMG :(