Painting Advice

Since Icrontic as a whole is good at everything, and I know many have become master painters just by helping with ICHQ, I ask for advice.

I'm painting a room for the first time as part of my adventure as an adult. I'm just painting the walls, not the ceiling. I just finished taping (used gorilla tape). I pressed down on that paint and rubbed back and forth with fingers to get heat on it, really trying to make a seal and avoid bleeding. The floor is covered, the walls are washed.

I'm ready to dive in. I have all my brushes/rollers and I'm getting Benjamin Moore Natura "no-voc" paint. It occurs to me I should ask first though:

Any good advice you guys can give?
Should I have sanded off the old paint first?

Comments

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA

@PirateNinja said:
    Any good advice you guys can give?
    Should I have sanded off the old paint first?

What colors are you going from and to? This affects the sanding questions potentially, but you can typically just paint over it with a new primer coat (if needed) and color coats. Everything else prep wise sounds good from the times I've painted rooms from blank sheetrock and repaints.

Make sure to watch out for paint bubbles.

• Going from a light blue to a light tan. Was planning on two coats, 3ish hours in between the first and second.
    The paint I want has primer built in according to the last sales guy I talked to.

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI

Test on a small patch in a less-visible area (inside of a closet, behind the main door, etc.) with your expected three coats, follow the same process as you would in a full scale. The primer point is often more about neutralizing the old color so it doesn't bleed into the new, so better to test in a hidden area to make sure it'll do what you expect.

PirateNinja
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA
    edited March 2014

Sounds good to me then :) but you may want to let someone else with more recent/frequent experience weigh in. I don't think three hours is enough time from past experience and from searching 4+ hours was minimum, with 8+/overnight recommended.

PirateNinja
  • LincLinc Bard Detroit
    edited March 2014

Honestly? I do the second coat when it's convenient. If I can wait 4 hours, great. If I'd like to put the furniture back for ICSP after 2 hours, whatever, that's when it's going on.

I have no experience with primer-in-paint stuff. I use Killz latex primer for light jobs and Killz oil primer for problems. 1 coat primer, 2 coats paint, every time.

My general advice is: get goin' and just do it and see how it goes. Any paint job can be fixed.

PirateNinja
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA

We just painted one of the upstairs rooms in our house. It was purple and green (literally Joker colors) and had black permanent marker graffiti all over everything from squatters who lived here. We bought cheapo white contractors paint (like $30 for 5 gallons), did 2 coats of that and then only took 2 coats of the off-white that we put on afterwards.

• midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)>

@PirateNinja said:
    gorilla tape

This stuff? The stuff that's supposed to hold better and last longer than duct tape? You used it for paint masking? D:

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL
    edited March 2014

Hopefully not, that stuff will take paint off when it is unpeeled also....

• Derp I meant frog tape

midga
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL

That is better-- I hope frog makes masking tape.

• midgamidga "There's so much hot dog in Rome" ~digi (> ^.(> O_o)>

PirateNinja
  • PinkPink Colour Sweden

When I painted my apartment I just bought the paint, covered the floor and got to painting.
    I do say that the amount of preparation you seem to have put in is a lot higher than me and if you want my advice (Even if it might be a bit late) it would be to just get painting! Just cover the surface with enough layers for it to be the right colour and then have a beer, you've earned it!

PirateNinja
  • @Pink said:
    When I painted my apartment I just bought the paint, covered the floor and got to painting.
    I do say that the amount of preparation you seem to have put in is a lot higher than me and if you want my advice (Even if it might be a bit late) it would be to just get painting! Just cover the surface with enough layers for it to be the right colour and then have a beer, you've earned it!

There can never be enough prep work in painting. Get some razor blades for removing the tape when you're done. Gently cut the tape where it ends, and gently seperate it from trim/wall. Don't just yank it off, thats how you get ants end up pulling apart the sheetrock/plaster.

I do agree with the beer part after completion.

PirateNinja
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana

The only thing I can add for now in addition to what everyone else has said is that if your current coat of paint is water based then your task just got that much simpler. When you attempt to paint over with water base Killz or paint it should adhere with no issues and you will home free.

If in fact it does not adhere and peels off after it has dried then you've more than likely got oil based paint on your walls. If this is the case then you will need an oil based paint to go over what you have.

You should only need a light sand if any at all on either application. If your wall is porous, or textured, then you should be ok. Also, if your current coat is matte, flat, or satin finished then your paint should adhere easier, but not much to worry about.

Typically, your paint can should have clear instructions. Try water based first on a small area if in doubt ...get a can of white base and if it holds take the can back and add color.

Sorry if I repeated anything from above as I didn't have time to read it all.

PirateNinja
  • Thanks for all the advice everyone, paint came out really good. Frogtape was great, there was zero bleeding. A single coat seems to have done the trick. I'll post up a few pictures later today.

midgaGHoosdum
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI

I rarely ever use tape. Just make sure you have a good "edging" brush and a steady hand with even pressure as you go across, and have a wet paper towel handy if you accidentaly get any on the trim or ceiling to wipe off right away. And as long as you aren't going a lot darker or lighter, if you've gotten good quality paint, you might not need a second coat, or at least just kind of eye-ball it where you see it needs a second coat/touch up. I've painted my bedroom with just one can of paint before.

• edited April 2014

Pardon my horribly crappy iPhone pictures.

Blue Room Before:

Blue Room After:

Purple/Yellow Room Before:

Pruple/Yellow Room After:

HumerusMegBasilBobbyDigi
  • LincLinc Bard Detroit

I don't understand... there's... less color now.

Thrax
  • MY CHILDREN WILL GROW UP WITH BORING FUNCTIONAL COLORS AND LIKE IT.

BasilCreeperbane2Tushonardichoke
  • d3k0yd3k0y Loveland, OH

I should have looked at this before I painted my nursery, which is a bright green with a light beige accent wall. I was trying to make it feel like you were inside a tree with the trunk being the beige part. Our theme was forest animals as well.

I will get some pictures up once BuyBuyBaby remembers what they did with my damned crib I ordered 1.5 months ago

• @PirateNinja said:
    MY CHILDREN WILL GROW UP WITH BORING FUNCTIONAL COLORS AND LIKE IT.

BORING FUNCTIONAL COLORS ARE BEST COLORS.

Says the guy with the red living room...