Star Wars Episode VII discussion

Comments

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX

I don't feel that Luke going to the dark side is completely out of the realm of being addressed in the trilogy here (if not Episode 7 specifically). I've always hoped for an official telling of that story. I would love to see it.

-Digi

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares

@ardichoke said:
    Where's the "Boner" button, because I feel like I need to give this post a Boner. Bompz, Awesomesauce, Lulz, Real Talk, and Hugs just don't feel right in this case.

Ask about the Boner button next time you're at ICHQ.

BlackHawkardichokeLincCreeperbane2
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related

Dude either is Luke or trained by Luke. Who else is there that could teach him to use a lightsaber?

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA

@Thrax said:
    Kylo Ren is JACEN SOLO.

This is what I suspect. Kylo Ren is the son to one of the original trilogy characters.

• I'm fairly certain this is Luke, and if it is, Artoo ain't hanging with no bad guy fool! Artoo is the most heroic character of the saga.

• @Thrax said:
    Kylo Ren is JACEN SOLO.

I believe there will be some kind of family story here but I'm not sure how they will go about it. The EU is so rich, maybe they could add a few parts back in as cannon after the film release? I doubt it, but it isn't entirely outside the realm of possibility.

What does seem odd is that Finn and Rey's last names have been held back. Likely a little plot surprise there.

• CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related

Finn Fett and Rey the Hutt. I want this.

• CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL

@BobbyDigi said:
    I believe I had a full set of those cups. Also had a full set of the Coke/Diet Coke/Sprite/Coke Zero cans with the characters on them. Quick search shows the cans listed for $100s of dollars on eBay. Threw mine away when one of them popped and leaked all over the shelf I had them on. I still remember the pain of throwing them away.
    -Digi

Same. They were all sitting in plastic buckets in my mom's basement for years. The last time I went home I found that they had all leaked and the bottom of the bucket was about 3 inches of pop sludge. They were Pepsi cans BTW, Pepsi, Mountain Dew and Pepsi One.

BobbyDigi
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX

holy fuck

ChoochGarg
  • So do you guys remember in the trailer the guy that starts screaming before the low altitude dog fight? That's Han and Leia's kid. Luke killed him, that's why they are embracing emotionally. Death by Uncle. The unlikely heros are the ex storm trooper guy and the girl. Skywalker bloodline is dead. Luke is the ass hole in all black, Ren was basically written in as a distraction from this exact idea. The original trailer featured a recording of Luke's voice, much like Leia's hologram recording and nothing more. /theory

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA

I'm going to be avoiding this thread now. I don't want anyone to actually guess it correctly.

CB
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI

That trailer is better than Episodes I-III combined.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan

@pseudonym said:
    Recut trailer using the original 3. This brings SO. MANY. MORE. FEELS.

I seriously can't wait. Freeze me in carbonite till December. Not on board with the whole Luke went dark thing yet, but I could see it happening. Maybe he went a bit grey and then went hermit.

I started playing this while I eating my lunch today. Had a crowd around my desk about halfway through and had to restart it.

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares

You know what I'm looking forward to? 20 years from now when the whole series is rebooted.

• 20 years from now they will be just getting around to writing the scripts for episodes X, XI, and XII.

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US

@primesuspect said:
    That trailer is better than Episodes I-III combined.

I don't care what anyone says. I loved all of the Star Wars movies. I am not old enough to have seen the original trilogy in theaters, but I had them on VHS. I have lost count how many times I have seen Luke battle Vader, or how many times my throat was knotted up as Yoda slowly faded into the force. Episodes I-III didn't have quite the emotional impact on me but they were even more influencing on my imagination. To me they are essential to my Star Wars experience. They filled the gaps. Completed what I was always looking for. The origin story of so many characters that I came to love over the years. I can honestly say that those movies are some of my favorite of all time. All six of them.

RahnalH102Cliff_ForsterBobbyDigi
    edited October 2015

I honestly think it's just an age gap thing. People my age grew up with 4,5,6 being our childhood. I was 20 when Episode 1 came out and it yanked my childhood out from underneath me. It was the first time I had gone into a movie with childlike wonder and walked out cynical and jaded and thoroughly disappointed.

People your age grew up with 1,2,3 and you loved it because you were kids. There's nothing wrong with that. I just cannot adequately explain what it was like to wait 15 years for something and then have it be that movie. You have to remember that we never even KNEW a new Star Wars movie was being made until fairly close to the release. It was like the biggest, best kept secret in entertainment for the late 80s and early 90s. We never, ever thought there'd be new movies. And then that.

GargGHoosdumSazbeanBuddyJ
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA

@primesuspect said:
    I honestly think it's just an age gap thing. People my age grew up with 4,5,6 being our childhood.

This. The @EAStarWars accounts that I run are followed primarily by people in the 18-24 age group. Episodes I, II, and III are their Star Wars. Seeing the kind of comments that come in from people that are desperately passionate about characters, worlds, and scenes from the new trilogy has really changed my perspective on things.

It's easy for me to brush off the new trilogy. Granted, I wasn't a kid seeing the original trilogy in theaters, too young, but I grew up watching those films over and over again. It's my Star Wars. And while the new trilogy is also my Star Wars, I have too much affinity for the originals to give the new films a fair shot. For the longest time, I thought it impossible for anyone to actually care about the new trilogy, but I couldn't have been more wrong.

There's an entire generation out there that grew up with pod racing, Count Dooku, and General Grievous. To these people, those are the stories that matter to them, and it's all they want. And again, when The Force Awakens and subsequent 2 films come out, there will be an entirely new generation that views Star Wars differently than all of us.

_kprimesuspectGargRahnalH102
  • I just watched that recut trailer again and I just can't believe Luke goes dark. I CAN'T. When he says "I won't leave you." It just gives me chills. It just doesn't add up.

• WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri

The age gap argument is pretty interesting.

I was in 5th grade when episode 1 came out. By that time I had watched the original trilogy at least 7 times through.

• When you watch this you see how much effort and passion went into Episode I. If you didn't like it, it wasn't for lack of effort or caring.

I mean, nobody doubts that a massive amount of effort went into making Episode I. It just sucked despite it. The acting was terrible, the story was lame, and it was way, way too goofy.

GnomeQueen
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX

@primesuspect said:
    The acting was terrible, the story was lame, and it was way, way too goofy.

No it wasn't.

-Digi

• RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico

I was 6 when Episode I hit theaters. If I saw the previous episodes before then, I don't recall. I remember the spectacle the most about it. I didn't really care about the story, nor do I remember much cause I'm not sure I've seen the thing in full since then. For me it was all the alien creatures, alien environments, and interesting technology that was so fascinating. As it should have been since I was so interested in life, tech, and the environment in the first place.

Now having seen all of the main movies, some of the animations, and played some of the games, my interests remain mostly the same. The tech, the aliens, and the environments. Some characters have stood out among the bunch (2d animated Grievous, Master Yoda, later Luke), but for the most part the characters and story haven't interested me as much.

The adventure is what's important to me. If these new ones can scratch that itch, I'll be content at least.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan

@primesuspect said:
    I honestly think it's just an age gap thing. People my age grew up with 4,5,6 being our childhood. I was 20 when Episode 1 came out and it yanked my childhood out from underneath me. It was the first time I had gone into a movie with childlike wonder and walked out cynical and jaded and thoroughly disappointed.

People your age grew up with 1,2,3 and you loved it because you were kids. There's nothing wrong with that. I just cannot adequately explain what it was like to wait 15 years for something and then have it be that movie. You have to remember that we never even KNEW a new Star Wars movie was being made until fairly close to the release. It was like the biggest, best kept secret in entertainment for the late 80s and early 90s. We never, ever thought there'd be new movies. And then that.

I remember the frenzy over Ep1 like it was yesterday. The first theatrical trailer dropped with The Matrix, which was a MASSIVE movie on it's own. People were buying tickets to showings JUST to see the new trailer. I had to have watched it at least 100 times before the actual release.

I wasn't QUITE as disappointed in Ep1 as some, as I still enjoyed the experience. But looking back with a more critical eye, I agree quite a lot.

primesuspect