Dan's quitting smoking daily update thread...

Comments

• edited January 2006
    Sorry for the confusion, I guess I should have identified myself. Sheesh I'm glad I didn't use a "dirty" word. Bad BOY!! BAD BAD BOY!!! :rant:
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK
    edited January 2006
    Sorry for the confusion, I guess I should have identified myself. Sheesh I'm glad I didn't use a "dirty" word. Bad BOY!! BAD BAD BOY!!! :rant:
    Yes.. you should have.. quitter, we don't do trolls here.. and as such you would have been subjected to terrible pain with our electric e-cattle prod :p

So you stopping smoking as well then...?

Btw folks...

DAY 14!!!!!!!!!! Two weeks today :D
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX
    edited January 2006
    Congratulations, Dan. Stick to it buddy, I know you can do it. Sorry I didn't weigh into this thread sooner, mate.
    edited January 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    Congratulations, Dan. Stick to it buddy, I know you can do it. Sorry I didn't weigh into this thread sooner, mate.
    I am mate.. I am :D

It's day 14. Cravings get less everyday now. Even yesterday when I had a tough, tough day @ work.. I resisted the urge. A week ago, I definitely would have crumbled!

:D
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida
    edited January 2006
    Excellent, Dan!
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA
    edited January 2006
    :celebrate
    !!! 14 Days !!!
    :celebrate
  • edited January 2006
    Great accomplishment so far, Dan. Keep up the good work!

Obviously, we are all pulling for you. :thumbsup:
    edited January 2006
    Day.. almost damn well lost count :D ;D

Working away at work, I never even realised that I've not had a patch on for two days. Im not a smoker anymore peeps, not anymore :D
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh
    edited January 2006
    I had a 35-year habit. I quit over a year ago. Most of it was mental for me. I cold-turkeyed. I just had to treat each temptation like a bad date- just walk away. Honestly- huge respect for you, man. I know. Just walk away if all else fails.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI
    edited January 2006
    Dan, I'm really proud of you :)
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff
    edited January 2006
    It's not easy, Dan, just take every day as it comes. You're almost over that initial hump. It's gonna get easier every day.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2006
    Shorty wrote:
    ...I've not had a patch on for two days. Im not a smoker anymore peeps, not anymore :D
    Not to minimize the effort it's taken, but if you are already at the point where you're forgetting to wear the patch then I'd have to say that this has been the most successful attempt at quitting I've ever heard of. Most people need something for at least a month, if not much, much longer.

You are incredible, Dan. :respect:
  • KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited January 2006
    I smoked from age 12 to 18. Quitting the first time was pretty tough because I'd been doing it almost as long as I could clearly remember, but I did it cold turkey. What got me is that the smoking finally caught up with my youth, kicked its ass and gave me asthma. When I couldn't play sports anymore, it hurt. So I quit.

Now I smoke socially... I can't drink without smoking, but I never have issues with it (I'm almost 22, FYI). Every now and then I'll smoke for a whole week, but if I don't set myself straight in short order, my girlfriend does. If I could get rid of the asthma, I'd probably stop smoking entirely... But I can't, it's chronic and never gets better (Or worse), so I'll smoke one or two weekends out of a month.

It's hard to convey to anyone who has never been an addict, but the temptation is ALWAYS there. I mean always... There's really no such thing as breaking the addiction entirely, at least not in my eyes. In fact, I got completely trashed last weekend and have had a horribly stressful week at work, and I'm craving a smoke right about now. Sigh... Should have never had that cig out behind the bleachers at the high school football game. >.<

And no, I didn't always smoke socially. At first I just went without for years because it was too hard to not start back up if I had one.

At any rate, that's my story. For me, the best way to quit is to just get it in my stubborn head that I'm going to. Of course, that can go both ways, because sometimes I get pissed and get it in my stubborn head that I'm gonna have a smoke even if it means my girlfriend leaves me and/or runs me over with her car.

Grats to Dan and all the other quitters in the thread. It's a great thing to do, and if you can improve your health, by all means. If I'm any lesson, don't let it go so long that you get stuck with a chronic illness... Or worse, terminal. A lot of people fully recover from the damage smoking does.
    edited January 2006
    Rob, you nailed it mate. You nailed it right there. That is so true. The temptation will never go away now, to those who aren't smokers, don't even consider starting!

I've got myself into a stubborn mode and refuse to be beaten by the ciggies, which is why after a couple of weeks, Im even off patches. I just need the patches to kick it off in my mind. Knowing I couldn't light up with patches on was my mental barrier to falling down.

I do have the patches in my rucksack. If I start to fail, Il grab back on but the moment, Im standing on my (abeit short) two feet and am not a smoker :D
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited January 2006
    I have (probably) the worse cold I've ever had, sore eyes, shivers, the lot. I've just had a ciggy after 14 hours, only seven of them asleep. That is a big deal for me. I don't even know why I had one but this thread gave me some encouragement to resist for so long. Keep it up guys, you are a great example.
  • HelloKittieHelloKittie Charlotte, NC
    edited January 2006
    Ok, back on line! Dan, You've come a long way! Wow. Congratulations, man! I broke down last week and had one on Friday night. I was out drinking and just totally lost the battle. I lost the drinking battle, too...lol! no hurling for me though. I had a nicotine overdose on the 21 mg patch on thursday so I switched to 14 mg. The nicotine overdose felt like heartburn and a tummy ache until I realized it WAS my heart and my stomach and, suddenly, I was about to pass out. Scary... :doh:
  • mcwcmcwc Vancouver, BC
    edited January 2006
    I found this while looking for extensions, Quitomzilla, and thought of this thread.

Good luck to those who are quitting.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2006
    mcwc wrote:
    I found this while looking for extensions, Quitomzilla, and thought of this thread.

That is so cool! :thumbsup:
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan
    edited January 2006
    mcwc wrote:

I installed this just cause i thought it was cool.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited January 2006
    I quit smoking!!! well actually I smoked 1 cigarette on my 18th birthday just because I could. To any of you smokers, why did you start smoking? It tasted like a burning piece of plastic/wood/rubber/other-bad-smells to me, so yea i dont think i'll start smoking any time soon.
  • Red-DawnRed-Dawn Been kidnapped and being held hostage in Edinburgh
    edited January 2006
    tmh88 wrote:
    I quit smoking!!! well actually I smoked 1 cigarette on my 18th birthday just because I could. To any of you smokers, why did you start smoking? It tasted like a burning piece of plastic/wood/rubber/other-bad-smells to me, so yea i dont think i'll start smoking any time soon.

I know i started after i started working in bars. To be honest i used to think that smoking was the most vile disgusting habit anyone could have but i think i got hooked on nicotine at work. i moved on to being a casual smoker only smokeing when i was out with friends for a few drinks but slowly that changed and before i knew it id fallen into the nicotine trap and was smoking on a regular basis.

I've tried quittin a few times an its not easy, so a big well done to shorty for doing it. but then i'm still working in bars/clubs and i'm still surrounded by smoke so i'll see hjow i go when the smoking ban comes into effect here on 26th march this yr.
    edited January 2006
    So, shorty... how's it going? Still going strong, I hope!!!
  • WingaWinga South Africa
    edited February 2006
    If my calculations are correct today (or Tomorrow depending on where you live) will be a month since Shorty rolled his last cigarette.

This thread has been deafeningly quiet for a daily update post, so I thought I would resurrect it before it gets buried. :sawed:

Shorty, sorry mate, but we all rooting for you and we wanna know how you doing. Post us a progress report :vimp:
    edited February 2006
    Hey gang :)

I haven't smoked since, im off patches.. job done :)

Nothing more else needs to be said!.. I've been keepign busy with learning to drive .. coding the new short-media and writing music again for the first time in ages
  • DonutDonut Maine
    edited February 2006
    Ya-hoo!

I didn't dare to bump this thread in case you had a relapse.
    Shorty, Great job.:Rocker: :thumbsup:

FWIW, this is coming from a smoker with alot less will power.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI
    edited February 2006
    nice work! I'm so proud!
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida
    edited February 2006
    Awesome, Shorty! That is definitely a great achievement.
  • JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
    edited February 2006
    congratulations short man!!

now dont ever think about smoking ever again, or i will beat you down and shove cigs down your throat. :rant:

kthxbye
  • HelloKittieHelloKittie Charlotte, NC
    edited February 2006
    well, congrats, shorty!! im doing fairly well. i smoked on saturday night but its only the third time since i quit. i dont have cravings any more and im really excited. i dont even think about it any more. im not sure when to drop down to the 7mg patches...i believe i have been successful so far. i dont consider myself a smoker anymore which is a big step psychologically. i'm even going thru a really rough time emotionally and it still has not occurred to me to smoke. YAY!!
    edited February 2006
    Great work Dan... Just don't fall into that "Just one for old times sake" trap... :thumbsup: