Caution: Avoid OCZ Rebates.

CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷDer Millionendorf-
edited August 2006 in The Pub
I've had problems with rebates before, but never had such trouble with the support staff. In fact, I just recently had an issue with a Creative rebate, and the person on the phone was nice to me, and fixed my problem right then.

I had a similar problem with an OCZ rebate just today. I got a notice in the mail that my rebate was denied because my product was purchased a day before the rebate period began.

There was a number listed for people with questions about the denial, so I called.

First: The automated system sucked. The first question it asked me was how many weeks ago did I request the rebate. Since it was less than 8 weeks ago, the system hung-up on me with a message to call them back after 8 weeks had passed. :mad:

I called back, and this time, I tried to lie about when it was sent out, and it would still not get me to a person. The system was assuming that I was a person who had not yet recieved my rebate, and that I should just wait a few more weeks.

Finally, I called back, and just strted hitting buttons randomly untill one of them started making the line ring. I got an Indian woman. I told her my problem. She apologized to me for the crappy phone system, and for the error in my rebate. She told me that there was a simple solution. ZipZoomFly had linked me to the wrong form, having supposedly updated their link a day too early, so all I had to do was get the right form, and resubmitt. Unfortunately, however she had no idea where I would get a copy of such a form, and she had no idea who could help me. She also pointed out that it proly wouldn't work anyway because I don't have the original UPC anymore, and it's past the submission date... :mad:

"Why don't you have the form I need?" I asked her, "Can't you just change my status to 'valid' in the computer? Isn't this your job?"

She let me know that she doesn't work for OCZ, she just processes the forms. I asked her if there was any other number I could call that would actually get me in touch with someone who can help me. She said that she had no idea.

So, I'm just screwed out of $40... :mean:

When I called Creative with a similar problem, the just hit a few keys on the computer in front of them, and now my rebate is on it's way...

Lesson learned: Don't buy from OCZ with a rebate, because if there is a problem, there is no one to help you.

Comments

• HawkHawk Fla
    edited August 2006
    I've had problems with ZipZoomFly before too. I don't buy there anymore.
    They burned me a couple of times sending me the wrong mobo & cpu, bought at different times. Had to go through a lot of crap to get it straightened out both times and still got the wrong mobo a second time. I just ended up keeping it because I didn't want to go through any more hassles.
    Oh, And by the way we have our own OCZ representative/member right here at S-M.
    TheLostSwede in OCZ Technology Support.
    Read his sig.... Problems with your OCZ product? Feel free to PM or email me here.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI
    edited August 2006
    The real lesson here is this: Avoid rebates. I hate them. I think they should be outlawed.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida
    edited August 2006
    They are a pain in the ass sometimes, but they're a nice little surprise when you forget about them. I got a $30 check from XFX today. It was kind of cool.

But, I agree: MIRs should go to hell. :)
    edited August 2006
    I got the $20 rebate check from Microsoft the other day for buying an Xbox live arcade gold premium subscription. The box says "$20 off coupon for any xbox 360 game" - it's not until you open it that you realize it's a $20 mail in rebate voucher that you have to include about six pieces of arcana with. It's like:

"Please send this completed rebate form in with the following items:

The original, unaltered UPC code rectangle from the Xbox 360 game packaging, cut at perfect 90 degree angles, preferably machine cut.

A copy, NOT THE ORIGINAL retail store receipt showing the date, time, price paid, and SKU number of the Xbox 360 game. The receipt must be done on thermal roll paper register tape, not inkjet or laser printed, and the following register models are acceptable: Intos 3000 series, IBM PS/2 POS system and compatible, QualityScan Register 2000 and 2500 series (but not 2700 or newer), and Toshiba POS XFF 2 or older systems. The register roll tape should be flattened in a dry chamber or dehumidification system, and can contain a curvature of no less than half of the length of the original receipt. The receipt should be no longer than 5 inches from end to end, and must be in the original rectangular form. Any nicks, scratches, stains, or "bad perforations" are automatically disqualified from this rebate.

A pinch containing no less than 200 of your hairs. If you are bald, body hair from the following appendages will be acceptable, in this order: legs, arms, underarms, pubic region. If you suffer from Alopecia, you are automatically disqualified from this rebate offer. If you are completely hairless for religious, cultural, or philosophical reasons, an essay describing your reason of no less than 1000 words, written in American Standard English, will fulfill this requirement.

A cotton swab of the inside of your cheek must also be included in the envelope.

etc. :rolleyes:
  • edited August 2006
    I always quadruple-check the rebate forms before I send them to make sure that I fulfilled all of the ridiculous requirements. Most rebates are a complete pain - with the possible exceptions of Costco and Staples "Easy Rebates"

My worst rebate experience was similar to yours, CB - except it was Amazon that supplied the incorrect rebate form. The manufacturer referred me to Amazon's customer service, and Amazon referred me back to the manufacturer. Eventually, Amazon was able to provide me with the proper form.

My best rebate customer service experience was when I sent in a rebate one day after the postmark deadline. I received a rejection in the mail, and called the customer service number. The guy I talked to asked what the problem was, and I said that I realize that I sent the form a day late, but it was a holiday weekend and I got sidetracked... he marked me valid, and I got the check, even though I was actually at fault that time.

That being said, this really sounds like it's ZipZoomFly's fault and not OCZ's.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California
    edited August 2006
    It is like they make things up to see how far people will really go to save money.

Hey Jon what rebates deals should we offer this month? we can give them $10 off if they send in a image with them shaving all their hair off their head...

2 months later . . .

I can't believe we got 3000+ suckers to do this one.....
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf-
    edited August 2006
    I know it's ZipZoomFly's fault for sending me to the wrong form, but it's OCZ's fault for making it impossible to talk to an actual person who actually represents their company for anything other than sales.
  • edited August 2006
    It is like they make things up to see how far people will really go to save money.
    Hey Jon what rebates deals should we offer this month? we can give them $10 off if they send in a image with them shaving all their hair off their head...

i'd do that for 10 bucks...just gotta find someone to take the picture
  • MountainDewMountainDew Kentwood, MI
    edited August 2006
    I got a notice in the mail that my rebate was denied because my product was purchased a day before the rebate period began.

happened to me too, it was like 30 or 40 bucks. :mad2:
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana
    edited August 2006
    I can get $ for armpit hair?
  • V-PV-P State College, PA
    edited August 2006
    The real lesson here is this: Avoid rebates. I hate them. I think they should be outlawed.
    Mail-in rebates that is. Instant rebates are fun. They're like a cyber moon bounce.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi
    edited August 2006
    This is why you see Marcus and I around forums....to take care of problems.

There is a post at the Official OCZ forums about rebate problems, it says the same thing I say here:

Email me :)
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX
    edited August 2006
    Yes, CB, we have not one but TWO OCZ chaps on the forum. Email them.. Really. Things get solved.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA
    edited August 2006
    Yeah... who else can brag about having two OCZ guys!!! Well, I guess OCZ's forums, but who else. :D
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf-
    edited August 2006
    Hmm... I guess I didn't imagine that OCZ techs would be able to help with my rebate...
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi
    edited August 2006
    OCZ Tech's are like Superman, we can do anything :thumbsup: :smiles:
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan
    edited August 2006
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    OCZ Tech's are like Superman, we can do anything :thumbsup: :smiles:
    Can you give me fifty bucks?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2006
    Nightwolf wrote:
    Can you give me fifty bucks?
    I don't believe that Superman was known to fly around town passing out the greenbacks. :vimp:

Come to the LAN next year and you might win a nice pile of RAM from them, though. :thumbsup:
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan
    edited August 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    I don't believe that Superman was known to fly around town passing out the greenbacks. :vimp:

Come to the LAN next year and you might win a nice pile of RAM from them, though. :thumbsup:
    Oh i'll be there alright.
    edited August 2006
    Don't bother. My kids and friends will win everything good. I'll see to it :ninja: :crazy:
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier
    edited August 2006
    How is that Xbox 360 these days?
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX
    edited August 2006
    Don't bother. My kids and friends will win everything good. I'll see to it :ninja: :crazy:

Die.
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA
    edited August 2006
    I bought OCZ memory off ZipZoomFly in April/May 2006. Even after moving from Tucson, AZ to Brea, CA I still got my $40.00 rebate in the mail. It arrived a little over a week ago.

Been buying off them for since they were GoogleGear, never had a problem.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX
    edited August 2006

Wanna be my friend?:rolleyes: