So I have to have surgery, kind of scared.

Comments

• airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX
    edited October 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    Scars are great! :D

As has been mentioned, you get to invent your own dramatic story about how you got it. When <s>hot babes</s> people ask about my gallbladder scar I tell them that it's a dueling scar I got while studying at The University of Heidelburg.

Bing-O! ;D

I have a scar on my right fore-arm, its about 1.5 inches long, and it was a cut that I got from barbed wire, I didnt have stitches, so it scarred pretty bad. But I told this chick that I got in a fight and this dude pulled a knife, but I still whipped his ass. She ate it up.:vimp:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2006
    ...She ate it up.:vimp:
    Ate what up? :eek:

(Please don't answer - it's a rhetorical question...) ;)
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina
    edited October 2006
    haha. I actually have told people before that I got the dent in my chest because I got shot, and some people really believed me, lmao. The scars should not be very big at all, about 2 inches on each side from what I have seen. But scar stories are pretty cool though lol.
  • DeanoDeano Leicestershire, England
    edited October 2006
    all the best Clutch, and good luck with the surgery.

I have a scar on my left hand, about an inch and a half in size, because of a burn when i was younger. it looks kinda cool though, even though it's not really noticeable.
    She ate it up.:vimp:

lmao nice choice of words Airborn!
    edited October 2006
    Thanks Deano :)
  • Red-DawnRed-Dawn Been kidnapped and being held hostage in Edinburgh
    edited October 2006
    i have a scar about a foot long from the top of my left shoulder blade down to under my left arm as a result of recent heart surgury. its been affectionatly nicknamed the shark bite by most of my mates.

Surgury today is so much better than it used to be so u'll be fine, those 2 inch scars u'll have could be a result of a medievil dueling accident, u can even say the pike was stuck in there for a few days an u had to walk sideways through doors :P
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied?
    edited October 2006
    Jer, you know I'm not around much these days, but I still think about ya and in particular what you went thru with your dad. With this, and the weight thing, I'm thinkin your overdue for a big score, so keep an eye out for a really hot nurse with no ring, mkay?

Be thinkin of ya, best wishes for speedy recovery with minimal pain.
  • edited October 2006
    Hi everyone,

I came across this forum post and am (or was) a fellow Pectus Excavatum sufferer too. I just had surgery in the UK and thought I'd just let the user 'Clutch' know:

Don't be too worried about the procedure. It seems you will have the Nuss procedure done which is minimally invasive so the scars will be small. I on the other hand had the Ravitch procedure done for different reasons. I'm assuming you are under 20, Clutch?

Anyhow, the recovery will be a little shaky at first but it is down to individual health. SO you may be jumping up and around within days or need to take it very easy for the days following surgery. As for work and other things like driving and sports, I would say leave them until at least 2-3 months and once you have have had at least one or two follow-up appointments with your surgeon/doctor after surgery. There is a possibility you may aggrevate the bar in place or the wounds.

I sympahise with you Clutch as as a teen I had the same physiological and psychological barriers to overcome. Pictures of me with my top off were rare and very self-conscious and exercising did have its difficulties so I had to persevere for treatment on top of all my responsibilities.

But in any case best of luck with the surgery and I hope it goes well and you have a speedy recovery from one PE sufferer to another. Do feel free to contact me. I also have a blog/website to document my experiences post-surgery which I had this month (October 2006).

www.doesthis-lookinfected.blogspot.com

Take care,
    theshinobidragon
    edited October 2006
    Thank you for dropping in. Good to hear from someone who has dealt with PE before. I am 21 years old, and I am going to have the nuss procedure done. My Pre-op is going to be on the 30th of this month, and then Nov 9th is the big date. I will drop by your blog and I know I will come up with some questions as the surgery date nears, so I'll get up with you. Again thanks for dropping by the forums.
    edited October 2006
    Okay so I went back to the Hospital for my pre-op today. The Dr. told me how the surgery would go, what to expect and all. The nurse said it would hurt really bad, which made me feel pretty good about it all, lol. They also said I would have to sleep in a hospital bed for 4 weeks :bawling: That is going to suck because those things are not comfortable at all. I can't lift anything over 10lbs for 3 months and cannot drive for one month. I should be out of the hospital in 5 days or once I can control my pain with percocet. I should be able to walk around and give myself a shower after about 3 days. The procedure will take about 2 hours or so and then I should be awake.

So that is what will be going on. Thank you everyone for your kind words. I will be sure to keep you guys updated as soon as I'm able to sit down in front of a machine and type.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC
    edited October 2006
    Were you able to get a laptop and do hospital rooms have internet access?
  • LincLinc Bard Detroit
    edited October 2006
    So... does that mean you're staying at the hospital for 4 weeks, or are they giving you a bed? Sorry man, that sounds pretty rough.
  • EssoEsso Stockholm, Sweden
    edited October 2006
    Shall we advertise in the NC news paper, 3-4 weeks from now.
    "Young girls watch out, there is a new kid in town".

Read some books, films etc, just take it easy, relax
    Short media will be here after you recover :thumbsup:
    edited October 2006
    I have a laptop setup that I can use. Going to start pulling my mp3s and all over this weekend so I can listen to them. I will only be in the hospital for 5 days. After that I will have a hospital bed here at my house that I will have to sleep on for 4 weeks. I know the hospital has wireless access,but not for sure if everyone can connect to it, but I will find out. I plan on watching a lot of movies Esso, kind of like a mini vacation with some pain, hehe.
  • EssoEsso Stockholm, Sweden
    edited October 2006
    Get married...
    and you will know what real pain is :vimp:
    edited October 2006
    Esso wrote:
    Get married...
    and you will know what real pain is :vimp:
    Spending four weeks in bed might be a little more fun, though. :p
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan
    edited October 2006
    I'll be prayin for you man.
  • edited October 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    Spending four weeks in bed might be a little more fun, though. :p

I know you are joking there prof, but I've been there and it ain't fun. When I was 15 I got in a motorcyle wreck (wino ran me over going to a bar :rolleyes: ) and spent over 9 weeks confined to a hospital bed, first with my leg in traction then after that didn't work, recovering from the operation that put a metal plate on my femur. I still have the damn metal plate in my leg too and it does get picked up by metal detectors. :D But I wouldn't wish a long stay in a hospital bed on my worst enemy. At least Clutch will be able to get up after a few days, with the help of some good pain dope. ;)

Clutch, I wish you all the luck on your operation, man. I know that when I had the surgery done on my leg, it hurt like a mofo for 2 weeks or so, but demerol and morphine helped. And percocet should also do you some good too, after you get out the hospital. I do hope they give you some morphine for a few days after the operation takes place. That stuff kicks Mr. Pain's ass for a while like nothing else. And nowdays they have those neat dosing machines with the magic button instead of having to wait for a nurse to come give you an injection every 3 hours, if she doesn't forget, like I had.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin
    edited October 2006
    Man, the morphine button is the best thing ever. Ever.
    edited October 2006
    I had eye surgery when I was a wee little man but don't remember it. This will be my first time being old enough to know what is going on. I heard good things about Mr. Morphine, lol. The nurse told me to not let anyone know I got percocet because if anyone stole it I would have to file a police report to get a refil, lol must be serious stuff. I'm fine now, but I know as the days get closer I will get a little scared, and that isn't far away.
    edited October 2006
    muddocktor wrote:
    I know you are joking there prof...
    I meant that it would be more fun to spend four weeks in bed because you were married; not as a result of surgery. ;)
  • edited October 2006
    Good Luck and quick healing...

"g"
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX
    edited October 2006
    My mom has percocet, and she keeps it under lock and key.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana
    edited October 2006
    Don't let anyone know you have percocet. I think that is excellent advice. A student of mine had a full script and I guess some of the guys in class asked him what kinds of meds he was taking. Well he went to the restroom during class and when he came back the bottle was almost empty so ...

Don't let anyone know you have percocet.

When he reported it to me I was like ..."well first of all you aren't supposed to have drugs of any type unless you have special ...yada yada". What could I do at that point interogate the stoners?

Don't let anyone know you have percocet.
  • maxclarkmaxclark In a hole in the ground
    edited October 2006
    Suprisingly i have never been in any sort of accident yet...haven't gotten a broken bone or a sprain of any sort...:)

wish you all the best clutch...Mr. Morphine is a nice guy when he's needed...lol...cheers, clutch! :thumbsup:
    edited November 2006
    I am supposed to take a bath with this special kind of soap called Phisoderm for some reason two days before surgery. I picked up some last night, but it was in the face wash section and not the soap section? Does anyone know why you have to bath with this stuff before surgery? I guess it is a really clean soap maybe? I took a shower with it last night and I will tonight before D-Day tomorrow morning. So far I'm not to nervous, but I'm sure once I get to the Hospital in the morning and I'm laying on the bed it will sink in.
  • JengoJengo Pasco, WA | USA
    edited November 2006
    You have my best wishes clutch!

:thumbsup:
    edited November 2006
    Nothing to worry about, Clutch. You're going to do just fine. :)
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA
    edited November 2006
    Good luck my friend, please keep us up to date on how you're doing.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA
    edited November 2006
    Good luck.... look forward to seeing you at SM-LAN'07!!!