So Cal Fires! anyone else affected?

Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California
edited October 2007 in The Pub
Not to sure if this news is all over the Nation, But so Cal is under massive fire. I am not directly affected as of now as my house is about 40 miles away from the nearest fire currently. But I was unable to travel to work with all the main routes closed due to flames jumping roads etc... My grand parents who live in La Casta (San Diego) area, are now at my house as they were forced to evacuate their homes.

The Governor called a state of emergency this morning, and now over 200,000 acres of land are burned and over 700 homes are destroyed.... over 300,000+ people have been evacuated and the worst part about it is they only have 10% containment... Santa Ana winds have made this the worst fire season in just 24 hours.

I think there are over 23 separate fries right now, with new ones popping up all over the place due to high winds. Keep So Cal in your prayers and pray form rain or no wind!

Comments

• ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX
    edited October 2007
    Yeah, it's national news. Don't die. :(
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska
    edited October 2007
    23 separate fries right now, with new ones popping up all over the place
    Just go to McDonalds and have more than 24. (alright, that was a cheap shot)When it gets up to 1,000,000 million acres, then it's a real fire. We had that in Alaska in 04. Bet it didn't make the news most places.

But then, with as densely populated as Southern California is, a big fire there, admittedly, is much worse. There are so many homes that will be destroyed and so much economic activity disrupted. The huge fire in Alaska didn't harm much at all. Probably actually helped things by putting a lot enrichening ash into in the earth and clearing out deadwood.
  • IndigoRedIndigoRed Perth Western Australia
    edited October 2007
    That's what happens when greenies don't want undergrowth cleared... I feel for the victims loss, but it isn't going to slow until land is allowed to be cleared. Might as well fill your property with crumpled up newpapers.
    And I hear the US is going through a drought. I think fire is a close relative. Don't want fire? Clear the fuel. Defeats the fire triangle everytime.

I'm not being nasty. Google "Australia drought" and you'll see what I mean. I'm personally on stage 4 water restrictions. I feed my garden water from the washing machine. One wash gives me 12 buckets. The lawn turns a little green after a rain but gets none from me. Against the law. Wash the car? Nope. We go to carwashes and they're recycling the water. Only the final rinse is allowed to be fresh, and it's almost a mist. No sprinklers on the football ovals, no fountains running.

Cattle are grazing in the bottom of one of the closer lakes and the marina that serviced it last I heard is now 5 km from the water that's left.

Definitely parched down here. With all that said and done, I still think Global Warming is a crock...
  • BetsyDBetsyD Cincinnati, OH
    edited October 2007
    My aunt and uncle and grandmother were all evacuated. Good luck.
  • JBJB Carlsbad, CA
    edited October 2007
    Yep, checking the progress right now:(
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI
    edited October 2007
    Stay safe :(
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA
    edited October 2007
    It is pretty much a given that my fiance's folks lost their house in Lake Arrowhead yesterday :(

Amanda's dad was a sheriff for 20 yrs in the area, so he knows the Lake Arrowhead area well. He's 90% sure from the reports of where the fires are/were that the house is gone....
  • edited October 2007
    Im glad that my computer shipped out of CA yesterday so its still not there.

Everybody stay safe down there.
    edited October 2007
    I have an uncle and aunt in San Diego. Haven't heard from them.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf-
    edited October 2007
    So. Cal can have some of So. Ohio's rain.
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier
    edited October 2007
    Scary stuff. Forces us to realize that nature can and does have her way with us.
  • McBainMcBain San Clemente, CA
    edited October 2007
    I'm in San Clemente....smack dab inbetween San Diego and LA....closest fire is in Irvine a good 30 miles away. I'm hoping nobody decides to go camping anywhere near here.
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida
    edited October 2007
    The fires have been all over the news even in Florida. Looks really scary... I hope everyone is safe.
  • SPIKE09SPIKE09 Scatland
    edited October 2007
    nationwide sledge, courtesy of the BBC you are being reported globally and yes Leo they even reported the Alaskan fire, hope everyone is safe and another prayer for rain and less wind.
    edited October 2007
    I just went to lunch w/ co-workers..

Our cars are covered with a coating of ash, such as you would see in a volcano documentary on Discovery, or Nat'l Geo TV...

The air is very warm, and heavy with the smell of burnt wood. My eyes get very irritated from spending any significant time outside. The sky has an orange-tan tint to it, and sunlight is difused, but still very bright.

As of the last new report:

Over 170 homes in the Lake Arrowhead area have been lost. This is where my in-laws home was. One person died this morning from burns suffered late Sunday night, while trying to protect his home. Winds gusts exceeded 90mph last night during this conflagration. One other individual died in the fire in the San Diego area, and another 4 were lost during evacuation.

Over 1300 homes in the San Diego area have been lost. Evacuations of the area could top 700K people by this evening.

Some better news:

Some areas are noticing a reduction in the wind velocities this afternoon.

People that have been evacuated to Qualcomm Stadium, and food, water, and household supply donations have been so abundant, that officails are refusing any more supplies to the Stadium, redirecting them elsewhere.
  • MrBillMrBill Missouri
    edited October 2007
    Good luck to anyone in the fire areas! Tragic news. :(
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego
    edited October 2007
    Area's a mess where I am. I'm about 4 minutes from Qualcomm Stadium, one of the evac centers in SD. I keep trying to find different ways to help volunteer, but most of the areas that I can get to have plenty already, which is a good sign. School was canceled for the week, they're debating whether or not to use USD's sports complex as another alternate center. One friend's house is in the path of some fires north of SD. The Santa Ana winds are supposed to die down today and tomorrow, so we're hoping for the best.

I was living near Malibu for the 2003 fires, and it was chaos then, too. It's a shame what's happened to some of the residences up there, namely the castle. It felt like Pompeii when ash fell then, such a weird feeling.
  • ThelemechThelemech Victoria
    edited October 2007
    Hope all are safe down there.:sad2:
  • IndigoRedIndigoRed Perth Western Australia
    edited October 2007
    Saw pics of Qualcomm and Mission Beach in the papers her in Aus. Scary stuff all right. Getting full coverage down here and Australia's prayers are with those in the thick of it.

Don't forget those on the front lines, folks. This year's heroes, for sure.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA
    edited October 2007
    Hang in there Cali folk. I hope and pray the winds die down and you get some rain. Hang in there...
    edited October 2007
    UPDATE:

The winds have finally died down, at least here in western Orange County, CA. The smell of smoke is still in the air, but it is much easier to breathe today. The sky has is much more of its natural blue, with some smoke clouds mixed in.

Radio and TV are reporting that the Santa Ana Winds (the main reason we have fire storms in SoCal) are dieing down. Local Red Flag (High Wind) warnings are slated to be dropped by 3 pm today. Some local weather forcasters are worried that the fires could turn in a different direction once the winds start coming in off the ocean.

Amanda and I still have no confirmation of the fate of her parents home. The fires are still in an uncontained state in the Lake Arrowhead area. They actually caught a jack**s on a motorcycle trying to start fires yeasterday. He was spotted by one of the water dropping helicopters, who radioed his location and description to the police. Looting seems to be another big problem in this area too...
  • edited October 2007
    good greif I hate it when people loot other peoples stuff especially after a natural disaster, thats when its even harder to bare.
  • KentigernKentigern Milton Keynes UK
    edited October 2007
    Our prayers are with you, hope the rains come soon.
    edited October 2007
    UPDATE:

My in-laws house was spared!! We don't have a lot of details, but the house is OK!

More later...
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX
    edited October 2007
    Just got word in that my family's closest aunt, uncle and cousins on my father's side are 4 miles away from the Irvine, CA fires in Tustin, CA. :(
  • maxclarkmaxclark In a hole in the ground
    edited October 2007
    global warming...
    edited October 2007
    global warming...
    Well, California right now, for sure.
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier
    edited October 2007
    ORANGE COUNTY, California (CNN) -- One of the larger fires in Southern California is a suspected arson, a fire official confirmed Thursday.
    <!--startclickprintexclude--> <!----><!--===========IMAGE============-->art.santiago.gi.jpg

<!--===========/IMAGE===========--><!--===========CAPTION==========-->Firefighter Luke Perisin sets a backfire Wednesday against the Santiago Fire in Live Oak Canyon, California.<!--===========/CAPTION=========-->

[URL="http://javascript<b></b>:CNN_changeMosaicTab('cnnPhotoCmpnt','photos.html');&quot;]more photos »[/URL]

corner_wire_BL.gif

<!--endclickprintexclude--> The FBI, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and the Orange County Fire Authority are investigating the Santiago Fire, which has burned more than 22,000 acres, Orange County Fire Battalion Chief Kris Concepcion told CNN.
    "The reason we think it is [arson] is because we found multiple points of origin," Concepcion said. "... Our investigators have confirmed that this is, in fact, arson."
    Concepcion would not say how the fire was started, but said evidence indicated the arsonist wanted the fire to grow rapidly.
    All three of its points of origin are considered crime scenes, said Jim Amornino, a spokesman for the Orange County Sheriff's Department.
    A $70,000 reward is being offered for any information leading to the arrest of those responsible for setting the fire. No suspects have been identified.
    The state established a toll-free arson tip line at 800-540-7085. Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger said anyone convicted of arson would be dealt with harshly.
    Concepcion said about 1,100 firefighters were working on controlling the blaze, which has destroyed at least 22 structures. The California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection said the fire was only 30 percent contained Thursday morning after being 50 percent contained the day before.
    Concepcion said onshore winds Thursday morning should help firefighters "get the upper hand on this thing." video.gif Watch the Santiago flames rage »
    The arsonist's motive was a mystery to Concepcion.
    "That's the part that I really can't figure out, to tell you the truth," he told CNN. "That individual knew on Sunday when this fire started that we had, really, the perfect storm, if you will. We had the heavy Santa Ana winds, we had the low relative humidities, we had the high temperatures.
    "And then for someone to even think about doing something as reprehensible as starting a fire where they knew the fire would grow as rapidly as it would -- traveling about three, 3 ½ miles in about an hour -- is just really absolutely unconscionable," he said.
    The smaller Rosa fire in Riverside County, 100 percent contained at 411 acres Thursday morning, was also probably arson, state officials said.
    In San Bernardino County, a 48-year-old Hesperia man was arrested Tuesday and charged with setting a small fire along a rural roadside near Victorville.
    <!--startclickprintexclude-->
    Passers-by reported seeing a man crouching near the fire, the county sheriff's office said. The man fled on a motorcycle and the witnesses put out the fire with shovels and dirt, the sheriff's report said.
    <!-- ADSPACE: us/intg_story/lft.180x150 --> <!-- CALLOUT|http://ads.cnn.com/html.ng/site=cnn&cnn_pagetype=intg_story&cnn_position=180x150_lft&cnn_rollup=us&page.allowcompete=yes&params.styles=fs|CALLOUT -->
    <!--endclickprintexclude--> A police helicopter spotted a motorcycle with a rider matching the witnesses' description, and John Alfred Rund was arrested. Investigators were trying to determine if Rund might be connected with any other fires.<!--startclickprintexclude-->