The Dark Knight (spoiler alert)

Comments

• WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri
    edited July 2008
    Going tonight to Springfield. Should be able to catch a viewing, along with a delicious meal at Lambert's. Going to be a good night tonight.
    edited July 2008
    I thought it was easily the best movie I've seen all year. Heath was an awesome joker, at least as good as Jack Nicholson's in the first one. The movie didn't really point to a sequel, but I have heard that this director is not doing another batman. Something to do with Heath dying. Any truth to that?
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX
    edited July 2008
    Wait, did you just say that Jack Nicholson's Joker was good? :horrified:
    edited July 2008
    Thrax wrote:
    Wait, did you just say that Jack Nicholson's Joker was good? :horrified:

It was better than all the others before him.
  • NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales
    edited July 2008
    Me and Shorty are off to see this in the IMAX in Manchester on Friday. I am SO looking forward to it.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou
    edited July 2008
    The director is locked in for one more batman
    Christian Bale is locked in for two more batmans

I'm pretty sure if they do two more, Nolan will be doing both.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff
    edited July 2008
    TDK is the #1 movie on IMDB, kicking The Godfather off its throne after umpteen trillion weeks.
  • edited July 2008
    fatcat wrote:
    Ok, Heath was excellent as the Joker. He truly captured it.

Overall it was a good movie but.

I did not like the new "bat" costumes. Batman Begins one was better. I did not like how they killed off Two-Face. I felt they should have just let him be shown as two-face, and then save him for the 3rd movie and have a longer stand-off vs batman. I understand why they didnt show the death of the Joker, just left him hanging there. But honestly, will anyone be able to replace Heath as the joker in the 3rd movie? Rachel dying is fine with me. Bring on Vicky Vale and Catwoman. Scarecrow is a little bitch now.

So this leaves Batman to face-off against: The "new" joker? Scarecrow? The riddler? There was no signs as to who the next villian would be like there was at the end of Batman Begins.

Hopefully they bring back the mansion and batcave in the 3rd movie, as I felt the penthouse/underground lair didnt suit the batman image.

Heath as the Joker made this movie good. He nailed the part and kept ya on your toes about what would happen next. He did an outstanding job, which I doubt can be done again.

We shall see.

You just had to put it there for the guy who hasn't seen it. Damnit!
  • BLuKnightBLuKnight Lehi, UT
    edited July 2008
    Great movie. Ledger definitely our performed Bale and was by far the best Batman villain to date.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou
    edited July 2008
    Purplez wrote:
    You just had to put it there for the guy who hasn't seen it. Damnit!

That's why it has the spoiler tag. It was your weakness that ruined it for you, not I.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2008
    That was awesome.
    Don't necessarily count on Two-Face being dead. It's likely that they'll bring him back because they never actually said - yeah he's dead. Though it was implied. Joker, was originally setup to continue on as a villain and they have been talking about recasts for him. Heath set the bar, but in a year or two from now they only need to get an equally good joker and not a direct replacement. I was a little shocked they didn't have a 'look who's next' villain moment. But they have plenty of options to choose from.

Really my biggest beef, and it's the main one I had from the first, is the Batman voice. It sounds like a bad Clint Eastwood impression. "So you gotta be asking yourself PUNK! Did I fire 5 battarangs or 6?"
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou
    edited July 2008
    kryyst...

now that I think about it, I know who the next villian is...
    throughout the entire movie, harvey keeps saying "you either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villian".....batman is the villian now. at the end he runs as "the one" being chased now. prolly not so, but just a thought.
  • edited July 2008
    I just got back from the movie. I left at the beginning of the credits... I hope there wasn't a
    Picard comes back to life
    scene after the credits that I missed or anything.

I was also irked by the voice. Aside from that, though, I really liked how the movie kept you on your toes.
    I think the ending was meant to show just how heroic batman really is. True, there's always the chance that the protagonist will turn, but I'm thinking we've still got plenty of traditional villains to go through. I also hope Two Face isn't dead. I was actually surprised that they ran through his whole character development in the movie... I was thinking they'd have Dent become Two Face right at the end, then develop as the main villain next movie. Guess not!
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL
    edited July 2008
    He fell off a building and was not Batman, so I think it'd be hard for Dent to stil be alive.
  • edited July 2008
    Crazy Joe wrote:
    He fell off a building and was not Batman, so I think it'd be hard for Dent to stil be alive.
    I don't think he fell any farther than the mob boss did. Plus he's a VILLAIN.
    edited July 2008
    Batman won't be a villain, he may be hunted, much as he's always been and to some in the public eye he'll be the bad guy. But he's a true vigilante and that means that the cops have to take the position that he's the bad guy. There will be more uber villains for him to go after
    yeah dent was a villain he only fell 2 or 3 stories from the looks of it, if they want him a live he can be. Simple enough to have a scene at the start of the next movie where he sits up on a stretcher or just have him reach out and grab his coin. Nothing major, just enough. I would imagine in the next movie, if they bring back someone else as the Joker we'll see his sidkick Harley Quinn. I was originally thinking it may have been the spanish cop before Dent killed her off.
  • edited July 2008
    Dent didn't kill her. He flipped "good side" on his coin and simply bashed her unconscious with the butt of his gun.
  • LincLinc Bard Detroit
    edited July 2008
    Yeah, I'm sure Gordon missed the part where Dent still had a pulse and accidentally forgot to put a body in the casket at his elaborate funeral :rolleyes:

Dead.
  • edited July 2008
    Keebler wrote:
    Yeah, I'm sure Gordon missed the part where Dent still had a pulse and accidentally forgot to put a body in the casket at his elaborate funeral :rolleyes:

Dead.
    Was there a casket in the funeral scene? I must have missed it... It seemed more like a press conference than a funeral to me. I thought of it as a way of reaffirming Dent's heroism to the city than an actual funeral to mourn his death.
    edited July 2008
    Keebler wrote:

Dead.

I can see your smilies through the spoiler tags :tongue:
    I wouldn't be satisfied with two-face as the next villain. He's just a pissed off dude with half of his face gone. The only angle they can work is that he wants revenge for Rachel, which is a thin angle. I would much rather see catwoman or the Penguin enter as the villain of the next movie.
    edited July 2008
    Two-Faced in the comics made for a good running villain he was mean methodical and unpredictable he wasn't the hack from the previous movie. He's also not a master criminal as his goal was rather specific - take out batman.

Catwoman also makes for a decent secondary character but she's not strong enough to build an entire movie around. The Penguin was always full of grand enough schemes so he could be a major villain, though I personally hope not as I can't stand him. A psychotic version of the Riddler would work as well.

Then we've got one of his more powerful nemisis in Bane, but I would think they should leave that for a later movie as Bane actually broke Batman's spine in the comics and retired him for a good while. The biggest problem is that there are lots of usefull minor villains in the Batman verse, but only a few major ones to build an entire movie around and unfortunately Joker was the king of that list. Perhaps some of the organizations he goes up against may work well like the League of Assassins or another member of the Al Ghul chain.
  • edited July 2008
    kryyst wrote:
    Joker, was originally setup to continue on as a villain and they have been talking about recasts for him. Heath set the bar, but in a year or two from now they only need to get an equally good joker and not a direct replacement.

I just had a thought on this: Mark Hamill. Why not?
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC
    edited July 2008
    Hamill could do it, but he seems content in his voice-acting career.

I'd hope the next movie features Mr. Freeze or The Riddler. The current rumours point to The Riddler, with David Tennant (Dr. Who) being tossed around as somebody who wants to do it. The character's background surely fits in to this darker Batman world, but I don't know if Tennant can be so serious. He is doing Hamlet, so who knows.

I didn't come away from DK as impressed as some of you. The depth of Ledger's performance as The Joker overshadows so much in the film. Maybe it's because of the direction or the script, but I didn't see Batman grow as a character at all, and that left me disappointed.
    The overlying question of "Will Batman kill?" was beat to death. You know he wont kill The Joker from the get-go. It's not enough of a plot device to base the movie on. It's like making a movie about the Titanic and then spending 2 hours alluding to the boat possibly not sinking. I didn't buy it.
  • edited July 2008
    I'd think that the Riddler would be a more suitable main villain. At the root, Mr. Freeze has too much good in him in his current incarnation.
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN
    edited July 2008
    too... many... spoilers... can't... stop... self... from looking...
    edited July 2008
    It's like a minefield mrite?
  • LincLinc Bard Detroit
    edited July 2008
    If David Tenant plays the Riddler in the next one I'll need to sit in the back row. Alone.
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX
    edited July 2008
    Just sayin'... When I read "David Tenant," there were awful thoughts about awful thoughts about Keebler. :horrified:
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh
    edited July 2008
    Buddy J wrote:
    .... I'd hope the next movie features Mr. Freeze or The Riddler. The current rumours point to The Riddler, with David Tennant (Dr. Who) being tossed around as somebody who wants to do it....

What? Maybe I'm out of touch. Is Jim Carrey a little too long-in-the-tooth to reprise his role?
  • LincLinc Bard Detroit
    edited July 2008
    Qeldroma wrote:
    What? Maybe I'm out of touch. Is Jim Carrey a little too long-in-the-tooth to reprise his role?
    I wouldn't know why they'd want a reprise. The entire point of the series is expunging the memory of the first.