Theme of the Week: Star Wars

Comments

• pseudonympseudonym Michigan
    edited February 2010
    Youngling Shaking.
  • edited February 2010
    Tycho Celchu.... I mean come on, the guy survived being a TIE fighter pilot only to defect to the Alliance and join Rogue Squadron. Anyone with the balls to pilot a starfighter without shields and the skill to survive it is pretty badass in my book.
  • edited February 2010
    Dengar http://www.starwars.com/databank/character/dengar/

250px-Dengar2.JPG

Not only is he a very skilled bounty hunter, he has a very interesting backstory. He is also not nearly as well known as Boba Fett and many of the other bounty hunters that people talk about. He has strong ties to Han Solo linking him into the main story of the star wars movies, makes a brief appearance in episode V The Empire Strikes Back. He saved Boba Fett's life at one point, teamed up with him and even got himself a girl!

Dengar is one of a kind, a killing machine without any feelings that could hold him back, as his brain was torn apart by the imperials after his "accident" with Han Solo. This accident was a swoop race where Solo flew down in front of him roasting Dengar with his engines, thus why dengar now wears the giant white "bandaids" of headgear. In this process of the imperial surgery, they removed all "positive" emotions and augmented him with increased strength allowing him to hold a blaster rifle in each hand (normally it takes two). Dengar is unable to feel love, compassion, or regret in order to make him the perfect assassin. His girl, Manaroo who was a Jabba's palace dancer, allows him to "feel" via a bracelet with special attributes associated with her species.

His story has many interesting facets, filled with all genres of interest. Dengar is a character who has the complete package to make a fictional character interesting.

On a side note: buy me one of the mini busts please??
    dengar.jpgyhst-51568362379717_2094_55352039.jpg
  • KetherKether Topanga Ca
    edited February 2010
    Yoda had to be the coolest muppet ever made, especially the little yoda backback Luke had to wear while training, and twileks are hot because they are.
  • edited February 2010
    Jake Sully. Easily. He was such an empty character, that I felt as though my will could just make him into whatever it wished him to be... wait, wrong movie, right?
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI
    edited February 2010
    0/10. Try harder.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK
    edited February 2010
    Wedge Antilles.

he is the single greatest unsung hero of the Rebel alliance.

That is all.

I concur with this. His continued capability for staying alive, shooting empire dogs and generally being useful... but yet so unsung.
  • PinkInDetroitPinkInDetroit Brian's (actual) Waifu Detroit, MI
    edited February 2010
    I wholeheartedly agree... Wraith Squadron kicks my ass. Not only are they a bunch of screw ups...they are the BEST darn screws ups ever...and are they freaking hilarious? Oh hells yes... does Wedge have to deal with them? Hells yes... Do they kick ass? ...oh HELLS YES. My fav character duo ever? Phanan and Face. They were the Hawkeye and BJ to SW. Did SW need something like that? I beleive so (dont kill me!) Did I cry like a b!tch when Allston killed Phanan? You bet your sweet titties I did.

Go about your business. *lurks again*

Wraith Squadron

I mean, their frigging motto is "Pretty. What do we blow up first?"

Also happen to be the stars of the best Star Wars books: Aaron Allston's X-Wing novels.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited February 2010
    Does anyone remember the cartoon based on the ewoks? I remeber seeing this as a kid (so best part of 20 plus years ago) before I saw return of the jedi.
  • edited February 2010
    RichD wrote:
    Does anyone remember the cartoon based on the ewoks? I remeber seeing this as a kid (so best part of 20 plus years ago) before I saw return of the jedi.

I will admit, I have a few of those on VHS *cringe*
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf-
    edited February 2010
    I like Kyle Katarn because he had to learn to be a Jedi three times.

I also really like Revan's story, because I'ma sucker for good-guy-turned-bad-guy-turned-good-guy stories.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff
    edited February 2010
    But Revan's story can also be good-guy-turned-bad-guy-turned-bad-guy-again. I like Bastila Shan, she's hawt.
    edited February 2010
    In the game, Revan could also be a woman, or even an Ewok or some shit, but the official canon, at least according to wookiepedia.org, is the male, human, good-guy version.
  • lersheelershee Keeper of J Sterling Heights, MI
    edited February 2010
    I guess I'll be the typical girl and say that I like Princess Leia. If I could find a photo of it, it would show me when I was about 5 or 6 years old, wearing my hair in pigtails, wrapped and pinned up in the twirly Princess Leia style. I know what you're thinking: Hot.

Oh, and best line: Will someone get this big walking carpet out of my way?
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX
    edited February 2010
    Many people have expected me to come into this thread with a mega-long essay describing my favorite character. I've thought about that character for days, but the longer I've done so, the more I've realized that I don't have a favorite character in the Star Wars universe.

I've found that I altogether enjoy the universe, the plots, the themes, the characters and the technology, but not one specific character.

There are, however, a few standouts for me...

<h3>Ood Bnar</h3>
    A Jedi Master of the Old Republic (4000 years before the battle at Yavin IV), Master Bnar was of the Neti race, which can slumber for several millennia as an organism akin to a tree. They morph into this state to weather conflict, disaster, drought, famine and so on, and they leech their nutrients from the earth itself.

He used this ability to protect dozens of critically important artifacts from Exar Kun and the Sith, who had begun an assault on the Jedi world of Ossus, first with the murder of its Head Librarian Odan-Urr, and finally by triggering a supernova of the nearby Cron Cluster, which would practically annihilate the planet. This conflict was known as the Great Sith War.

In morphing into a tree, Ood Bnar not only survived the shockwave of the star cluster going supernova, but he protected the artifacts of the Jedi from Exar Kun and helped to prevent the Sith from ending the Jedi by systematically exterminating its disciples and its knowledge.

Additional reading: Ood Bnar

<h3>Gar Stazi</h3>
    A character in the Legacy series of comics by Dark Horse, which dispenses with the clutter of most Star Wars EU material by jumping from ~50 years after Yavin IV to the year 127, Gar Stazi becomes a legend in Republic Naval history.

As an Admiral of the Galactic Alliance Defense Fleet, his Core Fleet was responsible for protecting the Core Worlds (like Coruscant) during the Sith-Imperial war of 127-130 ABY. He rose to fame after surviving the Battle of Caamas with enough personnel and ships to continue the Galactic Federation of Free Alliance's fight against the Sith and the new Empire.

As the eventual leader of the Galactic Alliance Remnant, he went on to execute decisive and improbable victories in the Battle of Mon Calamari and various sorties throughout the galaxy. He was renowned for his tactical brilliance, his expertise at harassing opponents, and his ability to keep recruitment and supply lines on the level in troublesome times.

His story is unfinished, as the Legacy comics are still in production.

Additional reading: Supreme Commander Gar Stazi

These are just two of the characters I have enjoyed reading about over the years. They're not my favorite, but they do stand out for the quality of their writing and the excellent story arcs in which they are found.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL
    edited February 2010
    Not on topic, but I just picked up this T-Shirt on Clearence at Walmart for $5.
    tumblr_kuvq98rtug1qzfpevo1_500.jpg

I LOL'd.
  • edited February 2010
    I am strongly swayed by your post about Wedge, Brian... especially after reading some of the expanded universe novels.

However, a long time ago I read Brian Daley's The Han Solo Adventures trilogy and since then I consider Han Solo to be my absolute favorite character. He's a complete badass.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO
    edited February 2010
    Brian forgot to mention all of Wedge's and Bigg's amusing cameos in the FF series.
    edited February 2010
    Koreish wrote:
    Brian forgot to mention all of Wedge's and Bigg's amusing cameos in the FF series.

I don't think those are Star Wars canon.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA
    edited February 2010
    I too have been struggling to narrow down my favorite from Star Wars. Wedge definitely deserves more recognition. He had some solid scenes that really built his character that were cut from A New Hope. He was a great weapon against the Empire. The guy was awesome.

I definitely have to mention Boba Fett. He was such an untouchable bounty hunter. The first time you ever see him, as Vader instructs him to use no disintegrations, his whole demeanor and unflinching stance just bleeds of awesomeness. It's really too bad that his death was so 'meh'.

Chewbacca. Seriously. Chewy doesn't even talk in a way that we can understand, yet his persona is developed so well. A huge being, tough to the core, but still has a great soft side to him. He might be able to rip your arms from your sockets, but he can also hug you and give you the worst noogie you'll ever experience. The perfect balance of comic relief and awesomesauce.

My favorite name from the universe? Panaka. I've used Panaka as my name in JRPGs for years.
    edited February 2010
    My favorite name from the universe is Salacious Crumb. <i>CANNOT BE BEATEN.</i>
  • edited February 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    My favorite name from the universe is Salacious Crumb. <i>CANNOT BE BEATEN.</i>

I agree. Before the expanded universe was as big as its become, I used to say this was the true litmus test for how true a Star Wars fan you were. If you knew who the heck Salacious Crumb was, you were alright with me.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff
    edited February 2010
    If you know *what* Salacious Crumb is, you're King Star Wars.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI
    edited February 2010
    As far as characters with personality, I really enjoyed General Grievous as well. The whole foreshadowing of man/machine cyborg with flawed technology pre-Vader is a cool touch. the only parts that are left of him are a few organs, and he wheezes and gasps and limps. It's freaking cool.
    edited February 2010
    I can't stand General Grievous. He's a CG robo-Count Chocula. It's dumb as fuck.
  • edited February 2010
    Thrax wrote:
    I can't stand General Grievous. He's a CG robo-Count Chocula. It's dumb as fuck.

Grievous is a neat trick, but I always felt like we were missing something in Episode III, and the cartoons really have not done that great of a job of explaining who he is or what he is all about either. I like mysterious in the case of a character like Boba Fett, but Grievous is leading the droid army, you figure they would offer some disposition as to who the heck he is, but they never do.
  • GrimnocGrimnoc Marion, IN
    edited February 2010
    Let's be honest. Every villian, every villian, from the new trilogy is completely uninspired.
  • edited February 2010
    Grimnoc wrote:
    Let's be honest. Every villian, every villian, from the new trilogy is completely uninspired.

I don't know, there are moments where I really hated Palpatine. I thought that fleshed out well over the three films. Darth Maul was bad ass, and that saber duel is the best in the whole series. He is more of a physical villain. Doku, I don't know, he was another one of those characters I just felt required more disposition, Christopher Lee is a damn fine actor, he deserved better.
  • GrimnocGrimnoc Marion, IN
    edited February 2010
    Christopher Lee is a damn fine actor, he deserved better.

I 100% agree with this bit.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO
    edited February 2010
    As are Ewan McGregor and Liam Neson and they got boned too.