My Walk Down the Tracks

KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired)By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
edited May 2016 in The Pub
Today I walked along the freight train tracks near my apartment with my faithful companion Bronson. I remembered I had my phone in my pocket, so I decided to snap a few shots. As I walked I wondered what the neighborhood looked like 50 years ago when manufacturing in New York flourished and trains were the dominant form of freight transport.

While the tracks are still used, the garbage has piled up, the sidings are ripped up, or grown over with weeds, and many of the buildings lining the tracks stand vacant. It's a sign of the times, unfortunately.

Sorry for the craptacular images. I was using my cellphone.

IMAG0001.jpg
Apparently taggers have good taste in music

IMAG0002.jpg
The tagger homage to MJ

IMAG0003.jpg
Cryptic message. Is this old factory haunted?

IMAG0004.jpg
View of the Manhattan Beer Company and their chiller car. One of the few successful commercial businesses in the area. That car is full of beer. Do want.

IMAG0005.jpg
Typical abandoned siding. The factory is abandoned as well. We humans may encroach on nature, but she takes everything back.

IMAG0006.jpg
There are scores of homeless people who have taken up residence along the right of way.

IMAG0007.jpg
Homemade tent. I didn't dare get close enough to see if it was occupied. Most likely the cart from above belongs to this intrepid soul.

IMAG0008.jpg
Typical site along the tracks. Overgrown brush, knocked down fences, graffiti everywhere.

IMAG0009.jpg
The tracks are a popular place to offer up your car to the insurance gods. The freight company doesn't dispose of 'em, they just get 'em out of the way.

IMAG0010.jpg
"I'M HIGH!" Get it?

IMAG0012.jpg
Old school manual switches.

IMAG0013.jpg
A view eastward as the single track winds its way through the buildings.

IMAG0014.jpg
Sunset over shit.

IMAG0015.jpg
Another pile of garbage. It was much easier to drive over here and chuck the tree than to take it outside and put it on the sidewalk in front of your house.

IMAG0016.jpg
Old electrical box losing its war with nature.

IMAG0017.jpg
It's been a pleasure.

IMAG0018.jpg
My trusty companion.

IMAG0020.jpg
Looking east as the track passes through some buildings.

IMAG0021.jpg
Somebody threw out a perfectly good Lou Rawls record!

IMAG0022.jpg
A tree. Seriously. WTF.

IMAG0024.jpg
I befriended a homeless woman named Tina who lives here with her dog along the tracks. She collects bottles and cans for money. She has four children, none of which have any contact with her.

IMAG0028.jpg
40 points if you can tell me what model of truck this came from.

IMAG0030.jpg
Tina, her dog, and her friend Phil. They sleep in a small abandoned doorway that used to lead up to street level. The railroad comes by once a week on a vagrant sweep and takes all of their belongings away. They travel light now, taking everything with them. They used to sleep along the adjacent track. Tina had a mattress with 20 blankets for the wintertime. Her clothes were in garbage bags. There were piles of clothes everywhere that people gave them or they grabbed from donation bins.

I hoped you enjoyed my tour.

Comments

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    Fascinating, thanks Kwitko.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    I'm probably way off the mark here, but that headlamp looks like a piece of an International Harvester for some reason.

I really enjoyed your photo series. And your pup reminds me of Spuds Mckenize.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    Awesome photo series, Seth :)
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    GHoosdum wrote:
    I'm probably way off the mark here, but that headlamp looks like a piece of an International Harvester for some reason.

I was thinking the same thing. IH trucks had very square designs.

Spuds McKenzie, the Target dog, Patton's dog, Chico from the movie Friday. I've heard them all. Someone even told me he looks like a pig.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    GHoosdum wrote:

That was my guess too. Looks like it's off a Scout.

+rep to Seth for the sweet photoessay.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited April 2010
    That was a neat tour, I enjoyed it. I feel bad for Tina though. So were you scared at any point that someone may jump you?
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    There's always a risk, but my dog is a pretty effective deterrent.
  • jokerz4funjokerz4fun Michigan Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    Great job Seth,
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited April 2010
    Kwitko wrote:
    Someone even told me he looks like a pig.

"Pig Ferret"

Anyone remember "The Young Ones" Bambi?