edited June 2011
    Welcome!!!
  • UPSHitmanUPSHitman The Big Nasty Indianapolis, Indiana
    edited June 2011
    Welcome JudahTC!!!
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA
    edited June 2011
    JudahTC wrote:
    The scotch has been known to play many tricks, but that was not one of them. I was there off and on for a while last night.

Now that's what I'm talking about! Jumping right into a MLP stream with us crazies takes guts.
  • QuadWhoreQuadWhore Toledo, Ohio, U.S.
    edited June 2011
    To everyone; welcome aboard.
  • edited June 2011
    Hey guys I'm Waba and I am an avid gamer. I play Starcraft and TF2 mainly with really awesome people like cola. :D
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep
    edited June 2011
    Yayz you found it alright :D
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN
    edited June 2011
    waba99 wrote:
    Hey guys I'm Waba and I am an avid gamer. I play Starcraft and TF2 mainly with really awesome people like cola. :D

Sweet, glad to have you on board! :D
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX
    edited June 2011
    Welcome Waba!

-Digi
  • KemicaKemica B.C Canada
    edited June 2011
    Welcome Judah and Waba. :D I'm new too, but figure it doesn't hurt to say hello!
  • JudahTCJudahTC Ballsdeep with Cola
    edited June 2011
    Bandrik wrote:
    So what were some of your favorite games growing up? Don't feel you have to pick just one or two. Feel that rush of nostalgia, take hold of it, what does it say? Haha

Hey Bandrik! Sorry it took me so long to reply. I just went through the moving process and haven't had internet. I still don't actually, but I decided the walk to the campus library wasn't so bad haha.

Anyways, the games I feel nostalgic about... The first game I remember playing was Lion King on the SNES. Except I never actually played it. I was probably about 3-5 years old and my brother just put a controller in my hands while he played it. :) Fun times. In the next few years I got the chance to play some more games here and there, mostly NES and SNES, some Genesis. Things like Mario, Sonic, Donkey Kong, Mortal Kombat are the most memorable for me.

The first console I ever owned was a Playstation. The first games I owned for it were Road Rage which I played the crap out of and a horrible racing game that I can't even remember the name of. I was still pretty young when I got that so new games were a rarity, but eventually I got the original Tony Hawk game and fell in love with that. I also ended up renting a lot of games and trying them out. I've forgotten most of them except for Megaman 3D. I think it was the first open world game I ever played (if you can even call it that). My Playstation broke one fateful day and I was left without the gift of game until I got a N64. I thought DK 64 was the bomb at that time along with Mario Party and Mario Kart. Sadly I never got a chance to play through Mario 64 or Zelda. I feel like I kind of missed out on those, but whatever. I eventually sold that and got another playstation.

It was about this time that I happened to see one of my friends playing Final Fantasy 8. I had never seen anything like it before. I was entranced. I eventually bought his copy of FF7 and started playing it. I got a strategy guide for it and went into completionist mode on it; I did pretty much everything : Ultimate Weapons, Gold Chocobo... everything. It's still one of my favorite games. That Playstation broke on me too before I got to play a lot of games I wanted to! Damnit Sony!

Eventually the PS2 came out and I ended up getting one at launch along with Gran Turismo and Final Fantasy X. I kid you not, that thing crapped out after like 5 months. I was needless to say not happy. My brother convinced me to get an Xbox soon after that so I did and thus began my descent into hours and hours of Halo, Shenmue 2 and Jet Set Radio Future which is one of the best games I've ever played. If they ever decide to make another game in that series I might die of happiness. Another one of my favorite Xbox games was Morrowind. I saw the Toonami review on it and it piqued my interest so I picked it up. I <3 that game. So once again with the broken consoles...

That crapped out and I got a PS2 slim which actually never broke until my brother took it to Iraq with him. Sadly it became another casualty of war. While i had that I got into playing really old RPGs. I played Xenogears, Threads of Fate, Final Fantasy 8 and 9, Vagrant Story and a lot of stuff like that. I also got through the GTA 3 games, San Andreas and Shadow of The Colossus along with a bunch of other obscure PS2 titles that were good but not worthy of mentioning here.

I'd launch into this console cycle but I suppose that wasn't long enough ago to be considered nostalgic and this is probably a big enough post lol. I hope that answers your question. If you have any more feel free to ask.
    edited June 2011
    Wow, Judah, that was one hell of a wall of text post. And I loved every bit of it. That's the kind of passion we need most at Icrontic. Speaking for myself, that's what I love the most about people around here.

You definitely ticked off several games that I too have played and loved. It pains me to hear about the pile of dead consoles you seemed to have collected there. Maybe I've been lucky, but mine are all still playing just fine - even my 1st-gen, opening-day PS2 is still playing PS2 games (though it does usually "disc read error" any non-DVD format, like blue PS2 games and PS1 games).

My story is somewhat similar. I started gaming on the Atari 2600 at a very early age. I was like... 3? Frogger and Pitfall were probably still being sold in stores. I remember my grandma getting me a new Atari game for my birthday. That was like, 1988?

I never owned a NES, but played on my friend's every time I could convince him to plug it in. Mario Bros 1, 2, and 3... Duck Hunt, Kirby, and a few others. Good times.

I then got a Commodore 64 for xmas or birthday. I played the hell out of it, even though load times could easily exceed 3 minutes per game. This was also the first system I played pirated games on, yarrr. Didn't even know it. My cousin gave my mom a bunch of copied 5 1/4" floppy disks for me to play. Donkey Kong, Time Tunnel, Double Dragon, Krakout, and a modded Super Mario Bros were my favorites.

Then came the holy grail. I got my SNES shortly after Nintendo released it. This is when I truly got into gaming. The SNES was and still is my favorite system, and that's not just nostalgia values. It was a time when developers had enough color, resolution, and audio fidelity to play with to make very good games... while still having to be very particular and careful with what they packed in due to limitations. They couldn't just splurge on pre-rendered 3D videos and hope they made the game cool like how later games became.

On the SNES, my list of favorites is just too long to go into. So many gems. But here are the ones that influenced me the most. Super Mario World (and Yoshi's Island), Mario Kart, Zelda: Link to the Past, and Illusion of Gaia were great action games. For RPGs, I loved Earthbound, Final Fantasy III (VI in Japan), Breath of Fire, Super Mario RPG, and of course Chrono Trigger.

My favorite game of all time, and deserving of its own paragraph, was Secret of Mana by Squaresoft. An action/RPG hybrid, it blew my socks off. It's just damned fun to play, and it's co-op multiplayer to boot. It looked great, it sounded great (one of my favorite soundtracks), and I've never played another single action RPG that felt as tightly controlled as this. I still play it with friends today.

While playing my SNES games, my family picked up an NES from a friend of the family. It came with some classic games of its own. I got my Mario Bros 1 and 2 (no 3, sadly), Castlevania... and the wonderful, wonderful Mega Man II. LOVE.

Then came the N64. Sony tried to tempt me, but I liked my SNES so much that I was too much of a Nintendo fan (at the time). The 64 actually kind of disappointed me. So many crap games that used 3D as a gimmick. But there were a few memories to be had. Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Zelda Ocarina of Time, Star Fox 64, and Smash Bros were a blast to have.

Eventually, a friend convinced me to pick up a PlayStation. It was Final Fantasy VII that did it (before 8 came out). I bought the PS just for VII. Loved it. This was Jr high, 7th grade. I then played through Final Fantasy Tactics, another fantastic game. After that, Xenogears, which was a total mindfuck of a game, but excellent. Next was Wild Arms, Breath of Fire III, Final Fantasy IX (my favorite FF to date, 2nd only to Tactics).

After that, yeah it's not so much nostalgia. But PS2 had Final Fantasy X, Dark Cloud, and Kingdom Hearts (before it started making the spin-offs). The GameCube brought Smash Bros Melee, Mario Sunshine, and Zelda Wind Waker.

Well that's my story. Hope you enjoyed it. I'm thinking about writing an article about this, focusing mostly on why 2D era games hold their charm, while 32 and 64-bit games started to blur and lose focus in our hearts. Yes, games like Ocarina of Time are immortalized, but the roots are stronger than the branches.
  • JudahTCJudahTC Ballsdeep with Cola
    edited June 2011
    Cool story, bro.
    edited June 2011
    JudahTC wrote:
    Cool story, bro.

Tch.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related
    edited June 2011
    JudahTC wrote:
    Cool story, bro.

130629714875.gif
  • FrenchieFrenchie Maryland
    edited July 2011
    Hey I'm Frenchie. I started working for a small tech support company about a month ago, and it was quiet in shop, so I stumbled upon this glorious website. I play a lot of League of Legends, Used to play TF2, Used to play WoW, and love online communities. Oh, I also CoFounded the website: http://MyLifeIsNerdy.co.cc. And am aspiring to be some sort of software engineer someday.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA
    edited July 2011
    Welcome to our Web home...
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego
    edited July 2011
    TF2, you say...? Methinks you might want to pick that back up and join us on our server...
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep
    edited July 2011
    QCH wrote:
    Welcome to your new Web home...

fixt.
    edited July 2011
    Welcome to Icrontic Frenchie!

TF2 is indeed a big part of our community here. If you have not played in a while then a lot has changed. I see you already found our TF2 forum, Feel free to ask any questions you may have on the new items there :D

-Digi
    edited July 2011
    cola wrote:
    fixt.

That's how I originally read it as well.
    edited July 2011
    BobbyDigi wrote:
    Welcome to Icrontic Frenchie!

TF2 is indeed a big part of our community here. If you have not played in a while then a lot has changed. I see you already found our TF2 forum, Feel free to ask any questions you may have on the new items there :D

-Digi

Indeed I noticed that, and I decided to reinstall it just for that reason. And these new items are odd. And I am so not used to playing FPSes on the PC, so I am very very rusty.
  • timuchantimuchan Fishers, IN
    edited July 2011
    Welcome to icrontic Frenchie. ^_^
    edited July 2011
    timuchan wrote:
    Welcome to icrontic Frenchie. ^_^

:D:D:D
  • edited July 2011
    Hello I'm new and glad to have a forum to write to and ask questions :bigggrin:
    -Suzanne
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA
    edited July 2011
    Welcome to your new Web home, Suzanne!
  • edited July 2011
    QCH wrote:
    Welcome to your new Web home, Suzanne!

Thank you!

I'm figuring out how to find comments and discussions I have started but I will figure it out -- a little confusing at first -- have a great day!
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA
    edited July 2011
    Thank you!

I'm figuring out how to find comments and discussions I have started but I will figure it out -- a little confusing at first -- have a great day!

for you directly

Found on your profile page (Click My Account in top right --> Click View near Edit Profile on the left)
    edited July 2011
    Welcome to Icrontic suzelectrowell!

-Digi
  • edited July 2011
    Hey my friend just sent me here and said i needed to say hi... well i play a lot of LoL and minecraft and i am a bronny... if you want to play some LoL with me my user name is pitchblackshadow
    edited July 2011
    Hey my friend just sent me here and said i needed to say hi... well i play a lot of LoL and minecraft and i am a bronny... if you want to play some LoL with me my user name is pitchblackshadow

Welcome to Icrontic!

You are going to fit in Just fine here:

LoL Thread

Minecraft Forum

Pony Thread - Warning: Scry Sht in HERRRR

-Digi