What's your favourite brewery?

oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French CanadianMontréal, Québec.

So, i know there's a lot of beernerd here, and i was wondering this myself.
Which one is your favourite? And not, which bar, because i have a local pub i love that brew their own beer, but i love mostly the place and people.
I think my favourite, which is hard to choose but, the one i know i love ALL their beers is le Trou du Diable (which translate to "the Devil's hole")

So what's yours?

Comments

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX

Unibroue

Hands down.

Barring Quelque Chose, I've never had a Unibroue I didn't like.

Maudite and Blonde De Chambly are my favorites. Their annuals never cease to leave me wanting more.

-Digi

UPSLynxoni_dels
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA

I can't get it in DC unless a friend visits from TX, but Lakewood is one of my favorites. I have had beers I didn't like from them, but they do lots of weird experiments.

+1 for Unibroue. They put out some fantastic beers.

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA

I love this thread already.

Firestone Walker is my favorite brewery. Everything they make is gold - from their basic blonde, to their session IPA, to their double IPA, to their bourbon barrel everything. Firestone Walker's Parabola, their masterful bourbon barrel aged stout, is my #1 favorite beer of all time. It's a masterpiece.

Sam Adams is a reeeeaaallly close second. I love so many of their beers (Oktoberfest is still of top favorite beer of mine), and their stuff got me into beer, so that's worth something.

BobbyDigi

@BobbyDigi said:
    Unibroue
    Maudite and Blonde De Chambly are my favorites. Their annuals never cease to leave me wanting more.

-Digi

My dude. Maudite was one of the first beers that I ever had that really made me "get it". I had no idea beer could have so much flavor, and that beer blew my away. Still one of my favorites.

BobbyDigi
  • KarmaKarma Likes yoga

That's like asking a mother to choose her favorite child.

GnomeQueenoni_delsCliff_Forsterdrasnor
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario
    edited December 2015

Wychwood Only beer of theirs I've ever disliked is Scarecrow (Little hoppy for my tastes)

Other than that nothing beats a Hobgoblin (Except maybe King Goblin, I've had 12 total since I learned about them. They're pretty rare over here and I try to buy them by the case when the do show up)

My father and I have a plan to order one case of their beer per month, each month having a different kind (They've got some amazing seasonals) hopefully we can start in January and keep it going all year. It would be a real treat to get my hands on some Pumpking.

As far as labelling goes I've yet to encounter another brewery with as cool and creative looking logos. (Angry Orchard's trees are pretty damned good though, same with the drink itself.)

UPSLynx

@UPSLynx said:
    Sam Adams is a reeeeaaallly close second. I love so many of their beers (Oktoberfest is still of top favorite beer of mine), and their stuff got me into beer, so that's worth something.

Sam Adams is a very close 2nd for me also. Oktoberfest being my #2 beer behind Maudite. Boston Lager is my go-to 12 pack. I even enjoy Sam Adam's Light.

-Digi

oni_dels
  • DontCallMeKelsoDontCallMeKelso Kelso 'The Great Asshole' San Jose, CA

Thanks to @UPSLynx my favorites have to be Anchor Brewing and Firestone Walker. FW is thanks to Lynx.

Too lazy to write anything else.

• MrTRiotMrTRiot Living in the North

My favorites would have to be Waterloo brewing and Sleeping Giant Brewery.

Waterloo Dark is a pretty awesome beer and Skullrock Stout from Sleeping Giant is to die for. Literally you won't want to have another Stout after you've had a Skullrock.

throws down gauntlet

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan

I seriously couldn't pick just one, so here's a list of some of my favorites with my favorite product from them:

Bell's - Oberon is always a classic and will forever be in my stable for go-to
    Atwater - Vanilla Java Porter (and its Imperial Stout variant VJ Black) is just... can't even.
    Dark Horse - Plead the 5th is a killer Imperial Stout
    Unibroue - La Fin du Monde or Terrible
    Goose Island - Bourbon County Brand anything
    Dragonmead - Final Absolution is a master-class in Tripel
    Samuel Adams - Classic Boston Lager will never be refused
    Firestone-Walker - Parabola simply cannot be beat
    Founders - Breakfast Stout and Kentucky Breakfast Stout
    New Holland - Dragon's Milk
    North Coast - Old Rasputin

i'll think of more later.

MiracleManSMAGICUPSLynx
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf-

I don't much drink things that come out of breweries, but I like Cooper Hawk winery and Valley Vineyards meadery.

• Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 Victorian Scoundrel Indianapolis, IN

SunKing, excellent cream ale that one

UPSLynx
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan
    edited December 2015

Oddside Ales Grand Haven, MI
    Founder's Brewing Grand Rapids, MI
    Saugatuck Brewing Saugatuck, MI
    Brewery Vivant Grand Rapids, MI
    Dark Horse Brewing Marshal, MI

My five favorites, I'm a big barrel aged beer fan and most everything they do in a barrel is great. There are a lot of out of MI greats, but I'm spoiled with locals so I stick with them. If I had to pick a favorite, I'd say Founders as they have great food, regular brewery exclusive beer, and awesome taproom atmosphere.

UPSLynx
  • oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French Canadian Montréal, Québec.

@BobbyDigi said:
    Unibroue

Hands down.

-Digi

You don't like Quelque chose? Blasphemy!

Seeing all the love for Unibroue is kinda weird: here most people treat it like a " normal" beer. Since it's super cheap to buy and availlable everywhere, you often get tired of it. I've had so many Fin du Monde in my life...

BobbyDigi
  • edited December 2015

@Karma said:
    That's like asking a mother to choose her favorite child.

I'm with you, this is actually requiring some serious consideration.

I'm partial to some of the finer regional brewers we have in the Mid Atlantic. Heavy Seas, Flying Dog, Dogfish Head, Fordham and Dominion, Union Craft Brewing, Full Tilt, Oliver Ales, DuClaw - Other than the hipsters in the Pacific Northwest I don't know a region that is doing more craft beer right now.

If I were to select one based on their range, I'd have an impossible time selecting. Everyone has something unique in their lineup that I find indispensable. Flying Dog has my favorite Imperial IPA, Union Craft has my favorite session IPA, Heavy Seas has my favorite blonde Ale, Full Tilt makes a Chocolate Stout flavored with Baltimore's berger cookies... How do you pick one?

If forced to say what is the finest brew I have ever had? At DuClaw in Maryland we have a seasonal Barleywine they brand as "Devil's Milk" - Bourbon barrel aged it changes a little from year to year. The best way to drink it is to go to the bar and have them draw if for you from the keg there and serve it in a snifter glass. It's like warm velvet. It's more akin to a fine cognac than a beer.... It's a tad sweet but not overly so with balanced earthy hops to balance a mildly bitter finish. It smells divine but more than anything it's velvet mouth feel and warmth is unlike anything I can really describe. It tastes like mature drinking.... Classy, dignified, beautiful. Love it.

http://duclaw.com/beer/devils-milk/

@oni_dels said:

@BobbyDigi said:
    -Digi

I'm not a huge fruity beer fan in general and I had a bad experience drinking a 750 of Quelque Chose. It was a long time ago. If I remember correctly, it was not to bad tasting but made me sick. So my opinion on it may be a bit skewed. I know Unibroue knows how to do fruit beer because the Ephemere Pear is really tasty. Maybe I'll give it another go some day.

-Digi

• Most brew that uses some kind of sweet fruit in the adjunct is miserable.

When I think of fruit notes in beer, complements might be something like lemon, orange or grapefruit notes. Citrus often works, especially paired with a more bitter blend a citrus note can be nice. Flying Dog as an Imperial IPA called "The Truth" and it's phenomenal. I don't know if they use any actual grapefruit in the process but I assume the hop notes are largely grapefruit in nature. Grapefruit works, citrus in general does for me...

Now.... If I see strawberry or peaches or grape must, blueberry, or melon of any variety I'm usually pretty turned off by that. It just doesn't work for me. Abita makes this strawberry beer, good brewer on many levels, but that beer is an abomination. Also Dogfish Head, phenomenal brewer in DE, they make a beer with grape must, imagine stale cheap wine, then dip a lit cigarette in it and drink it... No thank you... Probably the worst beer I have ever tasted.

I appreciate weirdness and experimentation in beer but not everything pans out, and that's part of the adventure. You go to the store, pick up a six, try it out, occasionally you get a dud, but when you discover something new that you adore it's rewarding. Life is too short to drink the same brew over and over.

oni_dels

@BobbyDigi said:

@oni_dels said:

@BobbyDigi said:
    -Digi

I'm not a huge fruity beer fan in general and I had a bad experience drinking a 750 of Quelque Chose. It was a long time ago. If I remember correctly, it was not to bad tasting but made me sick. So my opinion on it may be a bit skewed. I know Unibroue knows how to do fruit beer because the Ephemere Pear is really tasty. Maybe I'll give it another go some day.

-Digi

Last time i saw a bottle of Quelque chose was 10 years ago. They're not planning to brew it soon...

• UPSHitmanUPSHitman The Big Nasty Indianapolis, Indiana

New Holland- Dragon's Milk
    Barley Island- Count Hopula

UPSLynx

Hey @Cliff_Forster here's one of those hipster hoppy west coast beers. Pliny the Elder.

oni_dels

I had a westcoastdouble ipa beer today. From a brewery that's east of mr (you do the math)
    These are the best style of beer. (From the new continent)

• Oh, I like hoppy west coast beer, but it has become a "me too" scene. Get a kid with a dream, develop a bitter heavily hopped IPA with a reasonably high ABV, give it a cute name then market it for $8.50 a pint and you have the thriving west coast brew scene. It's fascinating that so many small brewers can do pretty much the same thing and thrive. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, it's just interesting how big a boom business it has been there, especially in parts of the Pacific Northwest where craft beer is huge. I'm saying everyone knows it's big business there, what might surprise people is how big it has become in the Mid Atlantic the past several years.

@DontCallMeKelso - that is actually incredibly rude.

edited December 2015

@Cliff_Forster said:
    @DontCallMeKelso - that is actually incredibly rude.

Naw it wasn't rude, it was tasty as all hell. What was rude was them tapping out of a beer I had never tried before, some dark ale called "Confirm Nor Deny" like who wouldn't want a beer named that. Granted I did get to have their aptly named Defenestration, which was delicious and lived up to my personal hype over the name.

I mean you did call us hipsters because we like a certain type of beer over here:

@Cliff_Forster said:
    Other than the hipsters in the Pacific Northwest I don't know a region that is doing more craft beer right now.

UPSLynxIlriyas
  • edited December 2015

@DontCallMeKelso -

What would you like me to describe it as so you wouldn't feel so sensitive as to have to respond in such a vile way as giving me the finger?

Very rude. I'm not kidding. Just vile.

@Cliff_Forster said:
    buncha BS

Seriously, can you not? You just couldn't resist.

One more thread, now on death row due to nonsense.

DontCallMeKelso
  • edited December 2015

meh

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan

It's rude, yes. But this is Icrontic. Context is everything.

Anyway, on to beer.

I haven't been a huge fan of Lagunitas, but I may have found something to put them on my list:

https://lagunitas.com/beers/cappuccino-stout

• MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan
    edited December 2015

TIL liking craft beer is hipster. Is it hipster to not understand what hipster even means anymore?

• GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth

@Cliff_Forster THERE'S A BERGER COOKIES BEER?!?!! DOES IT TASTE LIKE NIRVANA

• @GnomeQueen said:
    @Cliff_Forster THERE'S A BERGER COOKIES BEER?!?!! DOES IT TASTE LIKE NIRVANA

If you enjoy stout as a rule, but in this case with a buttery velvet sweetness and slightly denser mouth-feel that chocolate cookies add takes it over the edge of indulgence. Not something you want to knock a sixer out on because it is so sweet and rich, but as a beer to taste and enjoy after dinner, Nirvana is fairly accurate.

GnomeQueen