Recipes: No-Knead Bread

GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz QueenMountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
edited January 2019 in Food & Drink

Hey y'all

This is the easiest bread ever. Here's the famous, original recipe:

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/11376-no-knead-bread

But there's a billion other versions out there. The original writer also did a book on the bread.

The basics of the recipe boil down to this:

3 cups of flour
3/4 tsp instant yeast
2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups water

Combine dry ingredients.
Add water.
Will form a shaggy, wet dough.
Cover dough, then let it sit for roughly 8-24 hours. Dough will rise and form bubbles.
Heat oven to 450 degrees. Stick dutch oven/ some sort of covered casserole dish into oven to get hot.
Cover hands/surface with flour. Turn dough over once or twice. Cover again and let sit for another half hour.
Once the half hour has passed/ the oven is hot, cover your hands in flour again, form the dough into a ball (if possible) and drop into the hot dish in the oven. Can cut slits in the top if you fancy.
Cook for 30 minutes with the lid on, then 15 minutes with the lid off.
Carefully remove from oven and when possible, tip the bread out. If it's done, will sound hollow when the bottom is tapped.

The neat thing about this recipe? You'll see a billion versions of it because it's super super forgiving. Less instant yeast? Sure! Oops, too much water? No problem!

You can also add more stuff to this. I've done:
Chocolate bread-- added 2 tbsps sugar, maybe a tbsp cocoa powder, and a cup of chocolate chips.
Wheat-- two cups wheat flour, one cup white flour, then I also threw in some chia seeds, sunflower seeds. etc.
Cheese-- I usually do a cup of shredded cheese, and then dial back the salt content. Also ends up needing more water. I think next time I'm gonna amp up the cheese, actually.
Cinnamon-- added 2 tbsps sugar, 1 tbsp cinnamon, and a cup of cinnamon chips. WAS CANDY BREAD.

Note: You can also use the instant pot to speed up the rising process! But I have only tried it with chocolate bread, which I do NOT recommend-- the heat melted the chocolate chips. Oops. Very very wet dough, made a very flat, dense bread. But you could probably do that with a normal white bread or a wheat bread no problem.

Show me your sexy bread pics!!

trooster89BuddyJGargSonorousGHoosdumgwenabeth

Comments

• trooster89trooster89 Are you from London? Icrontian
    edited January 2019

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited January 2019

It's a great recipe, I've been using it for years to make both bread and pizza, though I use a pizza stone (or more recently a pizza steel) in the oven instead of a casserole dish. Here are some of my examples.

GnomeQueen
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian

@GHoosdum said:
    It's a great recipe, I've been using it for years to make both bread and pizza, though I use a pizza stone (or more recently a pizza steel) in the oven instead of a casserole dish. Here are some of my examples.

Oooh, I never thought about it for pizza!

Such pretty breeeeads

GHoosdum