Modem not tested. Can i use it?

EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
edited April 2004 in Science & Tech
Well i've been thinking about getting a hardware firewall. After checking brands and stuff i think i've found a good one: Netgear DG834GSWE. I need a new modem too as my current one is a usb one not ethernet. Tobad since it's given me no probs but usb-ethernet adapters are just to expensive.

My isp has a list of tested modems and splitters but that one isn't on it. Can i still use it without getting in trouble or what should i do. I can't find one that's on the list except my current modem: Topcom webracer 850, but that's not a firewall/router you name it. :)

At the moment only my next rig will be on it. This rig will be sold and forgotten and i might one day get more rigs or at least my mom might get one. She isn't interested now. Running xp but that's beside that point. Oh and what kind of cable should i get. Crossover or regular. The nic manual said regular for comp to comp and cross if using a hub. It this correct. Not that i need a cable now but it's good to know. :)

EO :rarr:

Comments

• ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited April 2004
    Does your isp use static or dynamic ip addresses? We give our customers static ip addresses and we have a modem we can program to use dhcp or just be a briged modem.
  • EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited April 2004
    No i don't think i have static. I use dc++ and entered my ip in the config in it once. Next time i couldn't connect so removed it and wrote down the adress on 2 occasions. Both were different. Is there some foolproof way to test this. I'm not kidding when i say that i'll order today so can someone think of a reason i shouldn't get that modem say so quickly please.
    edited April 2004
    Without knowing more about your isp and all, I'm afraid I couldn't be much help. I guess order the netgear and if it doesn't work then I guess you have to go with on your isp has tested.
    edited April 2004
    Order is placed. Thanks clutch let's hope it works. As you could see netgear is on the list just not that perticilar item. I doubt that all modems available has been tested yet all or most should work. I'll know in a week or 2. BTW can this be seen as a breach of contract or something like that or am i free to choose what modem i want.
    edited April 2004
    I was thinking the same thing, since they have tested a netgear it should work, maybe they just didn't have that model to test. As far as the contract thing. Did you sign a contract with your isp? If you decide to go with something other than what they have tested, I see nothing wrong with it actually. But lets say you have a problem down the road and they find out you aren't using their tested stuff, they might question if it is the hardware or the service. But I'm sure you will be fine, as long as it works.
    edited April 2004
    Thanks clutch. Well since i'm ordering from 3 places chances are that i'll have the router before i have all new parts therefor i should be able to test it with this rig. If it works with this it'll work with the new one. :thumbsup:

As for signing a contract i did order the modem with the internet service but i'm not sure if it's really that kind of contract. I'll have i look in the legal stuff and see if i can make sence of it.
    edited April 2004
    Well yesterday wasn't such a good day for me since i spent 5 or so hours setting up the modem but still couldn't connect. This morning out of pure rage i reinstalled my old modem. It worked. Later i discovered that the thing that would Netgear routers so easy to install, something called the smart wizard.

I thought that i only had to select country and language and then move on to typing in my login info but on the first page was a button called next. After clicking it i noticed that the wizard tried to find the settings, claimed that it had and then windows messenger tried to connect and succeded. :eek: I have checked every damn setting relating to networks but couldn't for the life of me figure out what was wrong and then it was so simple. :banghead: :banghead: :):mean::rant:

I ran shieldsup which couldn't connect :) but then i ran leaktest that could connect. :eek2: Then i left for work. I asked around on what to do but didn't get any conclusive answers so i went to grc.com to see what steve thought. There was a guide about leaktest where it was recommended to install zone alarm to protect against extrusions so i'll do that. I'm gald everything is working i only wish that it would have gone smother.
    edited April 2004
    I'm glad that you got everything working. And nothing really goes smooth when you actually need, and would like them to, haha.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited April 2004
    EyesOnly wrote:
    Order is placed. Thanks clutch let's hope it works. As you could see netgear is on the list just not that perticilar item. I doubt that all modems available has been tested yet all or most should work. I'll know in a week or 2. BTW can this be seen as a breach of contract or something like that or am i free to choose what modem i want.

Technically, ISPs need to let you use what works with their setup-- whether or not you buy it from them or not. That is so in North America, unless you find an unusual contract. I have my own supplied-by-me modem here, it works better than anything the ISP supplied. Also have my own supplied router, though tech support at the gateway support did set up their end (IE, ISP knows about it and will not help with router's setup but will allow it). Trick is to get beyond first layer tech support, then tell them what is not working if they supplied it, and then what DOES work. If what they supplied is non-working then they should let you return it as defective-- and if that is the case, tell them you have a working setup now so the defective one should be accepted back and credited against your account or refunded.

John D.-- Who will also add: generally, if an ISP client gets his own gear set up and ISP cannot prove it is not compatible, they will leave it in place. VERY RARELY do ISPs force certain gear only to be used, but the support for your own gear needs to come from mfr and not ISP. So, from ISP, which is providing bandwidth for you to surf, should be bandwidth support and bandwidth provision. If your gear meets the standards their equipment uses, their gear should be compatible with yours.