What gpu coolers?

Al_CapownAl_Capown Indiana
edited July 2004 in Hardware
I have a radeon9700 np unlocked and i'm looking to replace the stock hs and fan with something that is gonna cool the thing nicely. Noise isn't too much of an issue.

Also what ramsinks are people recommending?

Comments

• Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited July 2003
    RAMsinks don't do much. My 8500 is capable of exactly the same oc with them as without them. What DID help was hooking up a 119cfm Vantec Tornado to blow across the card :D

If you insist on getting ramsinks (they won't HURT anything, and they're not expensive) I'd get either some of the Alpha wingfin heatsinks, or <a href="http://www.bestbyte.net/Product.cfm?ProductID=1314&CategoryID=6&Keyword=">these</a&gt; which appear to be sized for BGA RAM. I'd glue those on with Arctic Alumina adhesive tho, not the thermal tape. Aluminum/copper doesn't matter for RAMsinks. the most important thing is to get as much surface area as possible, and those are the 2 biggest heatsinks I've found.

For GPU cooling, a Zalman ZM80A-HP with a Zalman fan bracket and a good 120x25mm fan would be very good. The only other real contender for GPU cooling is gluing a 1u rackmount cpu hsf onto the card. How well that works compared to the zalman I don't know, but I know that the rackmount hsf on my 8500 lets me get it up to 320 core, from 275, with the back of the card above the gpu only getting lukewarm in the process...
  • JChretienJChretien Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited July 2004
    Go with the stock AMD barton cooler! =D go read geeky1's thread teaching you how ;p
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    vga silencer.
    The biggest asset to this cooler is that it exhaust heat from the case and sink to the outside of the case. The zalman just disipates the heat right back into the case.
    plus ...it comes with ramsinks!
    edited July 2004
    Holy thread revivals Batman! ;D

The best cooler is still a CPU hsf. :)
  • GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited July 2004
    Geeky you got a pic of your gpu setup? I to run an 8500 and am thinking of cooling it...

Gobbles..
    edited July 2004
    edited July 2004
    Yeah. If the pic of the 8500 in that thread isn't enough, let me know (either post here, there, IM me, PM me, e-mail me, whatever) and I'll yank it out of the IC7-G and take some more. :)

Oh, and JChretin... how the hell am I supposed to get any work done with pics like the one in your sig staring me in the face? ;D
    edited July 2004
    kekekeke =D would you rather i get rid of it or replace it? ;p
    edited July 2004
    Get rid of it? No, of course not, don't be silly. I can handle a bit of distraction. ;D