My new computer temps

EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
edited June 2004 in Hardware
Well i had planned a thread about all of my new rig but as time went by i felt less willing to write one and didn't know what to put in it.

Always interesting though are temperatures and fan noice. I've got an zalman zm mfc1 fancontroller so i can rev up the fans when i want to. My brother said that i don't really need the front chassifan nor vgafan (card has heatpipe) when i'm not playing so i disconnected those fans. Of course i have to turn the computer off everytime i want to do it and that isn't very fun to do often so i got a fan controller.

I had planned for a cheaper version for 3,5 bays but the guys at the computer store told me that they had tested one that pretty much burned up so i got the zalman instead. I also got an weird power adapter that didn't work so i returned it and got to work on the wires directly. After many hours it was installed and cabling redone. i didn't like how i had routed wires when i first built the rig so i reconnected everything.

It didn't really get that much better since i still have an enourmous heap of wires undeneath the dvd burner behind the fan controller. At least the airflow for the fans isn't restricted and that's what counts. If i ever switch chassi i'm definitly going for fulltower or just standard miditower as long as it's bigger than this one.

Below you'll find 3 images showing screen caps from asus pc probe. The first is from when all fans are running at 5 volt or whateever the lowest setting is except the vgafan that's off. The second show a screen from when all fans had been running at full strength. Both are with fah running at 100% with a room temperature at around 23c.

Some will prolly tell me that i should run mbm but this app came with the mobo and is showing me temps that look ok from what i've read in posts so i feel no need to switch.

Anyone that feels like saying that the sonata is loud when fans are turned down shouldn't say so so if can see it or they should be prepaired to run quickly. :rarr: It's not load at all. The cpufan at lowest with fanmate1 which it used before fancontroller keeps it cool and quiet. :) The rear fan run from a fan only connector is bareble and the front chassifan isn't needed so how could this chassi be loud. The only times i consider it loud is when i try to sleep but it's still no problem doing so.

The highest temps measured before i redid cabling was 56c at cpu and 36 at mobo but that was with room temps around 28C. The temps seen in the first pic is common, it doesn't change much from that.

Btw there is a page with thresholds that seem high. It's the third pic. Do i need to change them and if so to what.

Comments

• MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited June 2004
    Nice temps. :thumbsup: With case temps like that my cpu would stay under 100*F all day! :)
    As long as your temps don't wander too far from where they are in those pics, it doesn't really matter what you have the threshold set to. I have my cpu threshold set to 129*F, I think that's 53 or 54*C, and the lowest threshold it will allow for the cpu, but I've got a nice heatsink on mine so it never gets that hot. My case temp threshold is 49*C/120*F. It hangs around ~98-100*F all day though so it never gets that high. Even IF my temps hit the thresholds set in asus probe they won't really hurt anything, I just want to know if my temps are anything BUT normal.
  • EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited June 2004
    Thanks for that gr. Looks like i have nothing to worry about. I'll set the thresholds about 10*C over what they are now. That should be enough. It should be noted that my rig is very quiet so i did reach my goal at designing a quiet modern gaming computer. :D Pffffft at anyone that didn't think it could be done. :rarr:

An axp 2800+ cpu isn't exactly the coolest kind of cpu yet it can be cooled properly and quietly. Sure i had to use an aftermarket heatsink but that wasn't really such a big problem. Just a nice proof of what can be done if you give it some effort. :)