edited July 2003
    great guide, keep it up
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited July 2003
    Wow, very informative.

Thanks dude! :D
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2003
    Great, not can it be burned? I see you set it to 1400mb: 700*2?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    It can be split, but none of the programs listed can split it. I can add a little to it and include the instructions to split it, but not really necessary as it's hard to properly split DiVX files.
  • dodododo Landisville, PA
    edited July 2003
    "Of all of these methods, reducing the sound quality to 128kbps and reducing the resolution to another integer with the same aspect ratio (The Matrix is 2.04:1, so 720x352 could be reduced to 512x256).

Whats the end of this thought?

~dodo
    edited July 2003
    are the best options."

Edited it.
    edited July 2003
    OK how about a DIVx guide to burning AVI files. I could use some of my ~50gb of movies back.
    edited July 2003
    It's actually just as easy as using a program called AVI chopper, and setting the breakpoint of the file at a certain size. However AVI files use something called keyframes which are used to fast-forward through the picture. If you cut an AVI in half, it cuts at the keyframe and usually you get one file that fits on a CD, and another that doesn't.

If you make the file 1300MB (2 x 650), you can alleviate this, but the quality would suffer.
    edited July 2003
    You have encode them anyway so they would play as a DVD.
    edited July 2003
    Right. Unless you own one of the DiVX-capable KiSS players, you'd need to reencode the DiVX as an xVCD-Compliant MPEG2 file.....Which is another tutorial I plan on doing.
    edited July 2003
    OK thats what I would like. There are ones out there but are not that good to complete n00bs like myself.:)
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Good guide, Thrax.

What about hosting this off the Short-Media site as an article?

And could you link some places to get the needed programs? Sure, we can track them down, but that'd take effort :D.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Nice, Thrax. I'm looking forward to the follow-on tutorial now.
    edited July 2003
    I will pass a revision of the article (Program links) + DVD2DVD-R before 9 PM EDT on July 23rd.
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited July 2003
    Thrax....

Great guide! 2 questions....

1) Is the AC3 track the full Dolby Digital 5.1 audio track or just the 2.0 Dolby Surround track? The reason I ask is that I know you can rip the 2.0 Dolby Surround track with the video but 5.1, in some cases, has to be ripped separately then merried back to a video rip.

2) Can I post these guides? :)
    edited July 2003
    From what I can TELL with my own ears, it seems to be full 5.1, HOWEVER I'm not quite certain if that's true. According to the program it IS ripping 6 channel AC3, and AC3 DOES support 6 individual channels...So it's possible, but I'm technically uncertain.

When I'm done with all three guides (revised, etc) you can post them.

//EDIT:

Program links added, the DVD2DiVX is finalised.
    edited July 2003
    Thrax,
    what would you recommend for a multi-episode DVD like Rurouni Kenshin, Friends, etc... which have several episodes on a single DVD as opposed to a single movie DVD?
    edited July 2003
    I'll pop in one of the DVDs from The Prisoner DVD collection and see how DVD Decrypter handles multiple-episode discs.

give me some time.
    edited July 2003
    Dude,
    beggars like myself can't be choosy, thanks for the advice.
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited July 2003
    That's great. I'd like the raw HTML and pics emailed to me please. Of course I'd like you to disclaimer each and every article that this is to "back up your original store bought copies of DVDs"

heheheh.
    edited July 2003
    Hey Preacher;

I updated the document to include information on ripping DVDs with multiple episodes on it.

This guide is done, I'll be sending it out to you tomorrow, MM.
    edited July 2003
    Yet again, I and my Anime monkey (who usually rests on my back) thank you!

It may just be me, Thrax, but the picture attached after this phrase "Ripping the DVD (Multiple movie track discs):" doesn't download. All I see is a placeholder X. Anybody else?
  • TiribulusTiribulus HOCKEYTOWN USA
    edited August 2003
    Great guide dude,
    I've been wrestling with digital video for a little while now myself. What an adventure. I gotta tell ya though, the thing that impressed me most was the disclaimer. I mean that without slighting your guide at all. I pride myself on having a strong command of the language and enjoy strutting my stuff on occasion (an example ) and in that spirit would like to express my appreciation for a fellow student of proper elocution. Mediaman and I had this discourse a while ago as well. Sorry for the aside.
    >>>--Tiribulus-->:D
    edited August 2003
    I'm a fan of using what I know when apt.

Thank you for the kind words.