DVD Skipping Cant fix!!

SqueakSqueak School: Seaside Ca; Home: Victorville Ca
edited July 2004 in Hardware
I have a Samsung 352B combo drive, and all of a sudden one day it decided that after 45-60 min of playing an y dvd movie in any player, it would skip every 2-3 seconds and the audio would skip with it. It used to work fine until all of a sudden. Ive tried updating the drivers for my Soung blaster live 5.1 and my combo drive, but nothing seems to work. Ive also tried removing the drive then reinstalling it to see if by plug n play it would work. Could it be a heating issue?, if so then why now and not when i first built the computer? I can play Divx movies fine, its DVD's that skip and yes it is all DVD's ive also tried multiple players. It happened around the time i installed the SB live 5.1...could that be it? I turned off the onboard audio. I have a MSI neo 2 800mhz fsb MB, pent 4 2.4, 512 corsair ram, ati radeon 9600 128mb, any help is appreciated

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Don't post in two places at once. It's bad form.
  • SqueakSqueak School: Seaside Ca; Home: Victorville Ca
    edited July 2004
    I appologize for the double post, but it also shows my major frustration with this issue....*sad faces*
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2004
    Make sure DMA is enabled (and working) for the IDE channel the drive is on.

You might try using Task Manager to close any non-essential services and see if it makes a difference. Often something running in the background keeps butting in.

Since you said you have onboard audio, completely uninstall the SBLive! card and try that.

I really doubt it's heat, though it is not unusual to see temps rise over time due to dust, etc. A good cleaning never hurts.

And, it could be that the drive is screwed. Could you borrow one from a friend to see if that works?
  • SqueakSqueak School: Seaside Ca; Home: Victorville Ca
    edited July 2004
    I fear to replace the drive, ive only had it for about a year, that and $$ is low. I checked to see if DMA was enabled, and it was but ill check again maybe i confused myself.

The onboard audio is the ac97, and that was disabled and uninstalled, I bought the SBlive 5.1 for my 5.1 altec lansing speakers I got, but ill double check to see if the onboard is completley off.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2004
    Some systems have "issues" with the SBLive! series. I know, I've got five of the rascals sitting in a box on my parts shelf. (Only paid for two of them, thank goodness...) That's why I suggested trying it without the SB card.

Money is tight for me, too. That's why I'd recommend borrowing another DVD drive and trying it. If it doesn't help, you know that the problem lies elsewhere. If it works fine then you know your drive is toast. At least then you won't waste your time and effort trying to solve a problem which has only one solution - replacement. :cool:

PS - I just replaced a DVD drive with a BenQ drive from newegg - $30 shipped. (Temporarily out of stock, though... :rolleyes: )
  • pokesquid808pokesquid808 SO CAL
    edited July 2004
    profdlp wrote:
    Some systems have "issues" with the SBLive! series.

i agree with profdlp. sometimes sblive series cards have issues with certain mobos. if it's a via chipsit mobo make sure you update to the latest 4in1 drivers. i know i had to do that before until i upgraded :) . also i had a friend have that problem with her dvd player. i set her virtual memory and did a defrag and it started working again. maybe i just got lucky but it doesn't hurt to try. also have you tried a different player? my divx player sometimes craps out on me and i switch to windvd and it works perfectly. hope this helps