One more non-64 mobo

edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
edited July 2004 in Hardware
OK, I have decided htat I need to start retiering my KT7As. I am going to build one more non-64 bit system.
Is there any reason not to use a NF7-S?
Is there any other socket A mobo that I need to use?

I would love to build a Dothan system, but there are no mobos with the 855 chipset I guess I am stuck. I am not building a P4 on ethical grounds (they suck).

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    NF7S == pretty much the ultimate socket A board.....
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    How heavy into OC'ing are you?

I'll give you a few reasons to choose Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe over NF7-S
    1. Dual LAN
    2. GbE
    3. Passive cooling on the NB; no fan that will die
    4. Better location for the power connector
    5. Better RMA department 'just in case'
    6. All 4 rear USB ports are on the I/O section on the A7N8X, on the NF7-S you need to put a big ol' bracket into a PCI slot to get 2 USB ports.

The two boards OC pretty much equally up to about 210 FSB, after that is where the NF7-S really shines, and that's why it's generally recommended more around here. I don't OC above 200 FSB typically, that's why I feel just fine and dandy converting every PC I've built in the past 2 years over to the Asus A7N8X series.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    NF7-S ed ...not NF7-S2 or NF7-S2G if you plan on overclocking.
  • edited July 2004
    The NF7-S 2.0 is a very good board, Ed. Be sure you buy that and not the newest socket A releases from Abit; they suck worse than a P4 though. ;D No multi adjustment and no Soundstorm.

I used to feel like you about the P4 until I tried out the Northwood procs, they are actually pretty damn nice. I definitely wouldn't go with a HT Presshot though; puts too much strain on everything. The IC7-G I have is a real nice board and uses the i875 chipset, which is a very high performance chipset.

Another cheap nf2 board that seems to be a nice board in my experience is the Shuttle AN35N Ultra, which a friend of mine has. Like the NF7-S, it can adjust the multi's across the full range without mods and has plenty of tweaking options in bios. I don't know how high a fsb it will run stable though as my buddy has crap Geil ram that maxes out at around 204-205 fsb. I'm sure it's the ram as it did the same in a Biostar board also.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    Ed i will be selling a AMD A64 3000+ with a msi board soon as i get the msi board back from RMA pm me if ur intersested
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    NO, I will not go to 64 yet. I am trying to resist, don't tempt me.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    well a 3000+ and board will be around 3