Replacement heatsink for an Aeroflow

mcwcmcwc Vancouver, BC Member
edited July 2004 in Hardware
Currently, I'm using a Vantec Aeroflow on my brother's rig. It's not doing a good job at cooling the XP-M 2500+ o/c'ed in the summer heat. Now, I'm considering a Thermalright ALX-800 from NCIX.com but they may not have it in stock. It was out of stock when I bought the parts for my brother's rig and it still may be out of stock, considering there's a thread about it. So, if the ALX-800 is not in stock, what is a good heatsink from Thermaltake or any other brand? I am only buying it locally from NCIX.com (http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?majorcatid=100&minorcatid=1023). I would like to keep the price around $50CAD.

I really want to get my brother's rig back up to 2.4-2.5GHz.

Comments

• GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    slk-947
  • JChretienJChretien Vancouver, BC, Canada
    edited July 2004
    Want my stock barton cooler? ;p
  • edited July 2004
    you might consider this Zalman CNPS7000A-ALCU from them. They are supposed to be decent performers and are pretty quiet. Plus, it's still barely within your price range you quoted, if you don't include shipping. One thing you might want to check with that monster though is to see if the mobo you plan to mount it on will work with it, with no interference problems.
  • mcwcmcwc Vancouver, BC Member
    edited July 2004
    NCIX.com is a local store, so no shipping here.
    It's going on an Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe, specs in sig. Now, is the Zalman be able to cool an XP-M 2500+ @ 2.5GHz? At that speed with the Aeroflow and the summer heat, it runs at 58C full load and likes to kill WU. It's working just fine @ 2.2GHz, 54C

//Edit: Just checked, the Zalman will not fit inside the case, not enough space inbetween the PSU and mobo.

slk-947
    Too Pricey. $76CAD, OUCH!
    JChretien wrote:
    Want my stock barton cooler? ;p
    ;D
  • edited July 2004
    The only other heatsinks I think that's worth a **** there are the other Thermalright products and it looks like they have to special order them. Besides, all the other Thermalright heatsinks except the SLK700 are too high in price, besides the availability question. It's too bad you don't have enough clearance with that Zalman because I'm sure it would cool better than the Aerocool you have now. One other option to consider is if you can somehow mount an 80mm fan on the Aerocool and put a SmartFan2 on it.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited July 2004
    The Volcano 11 and 12 should work; the Globalwin CAK-38 and 38II are good heatsinks, although they're not as good as today's performance heatsinks. They may handle a 2500m overclocked, though, as long as you can deal with the noise of a 7000rpm 60mm delta.

The Thermaltake Silent Tower will work (if it'll fit) although it's a tib more than you wanted to spend.

//EDIT
    Love the avatar Mudd. ;):D;D
    edited July 2004
    Apparently, from their forums, the reps said there's a shortage of Thermalrights in Canada and that the warehouse has it in backorder. They are also out of SLK-700. I originally ordered a few weeks back but NCIX didn't have any, so I went with a Aeroflow. Not a great choice.

Which Volcano should I pick? The 12 looks mighty heavy, and what's the weight of a 11?
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited July 2004
    The 12 and 11 are the same thing, except for the fan, and they both weigh no more than an SLK-800 or 900.
    edited July 2004
    Hmm...the 11 is 476g and the 12 is 732g. I think I'll go with the 11. A-power has it for $45CAD.