Sata Problems

edited July 2004 in Hardware
Ok i just installed two 80 gig sata hd's. I have an msi k8 neo and im using the promise drivers. when i start up the compter it reads both of the harddrives. but when i go to my computer it only reads the main one. :confused: did i do somthing wrong?

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited July 2004
    Are they both formatted?
  • edited July 2004
    first one is but i cant format the second one until i see it in windows right?
  • floppybootstompfloppybootstomp Greenwich New
    edited July 2004
    What make are the drives? If they're Western Digital you'll need to set jumpers correctly, they're the only make of SATA drive that need jumpers setting, AFAIK.

Other than that, you'll need some kind of boot disk program, I think, to format the drive. I'm wondering whether you can use a WIN 98 boot floppy and use fdisk?
  • FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited July 2004
    I don't think you'll "see" it in Windows until it's formatted. It will be visable in "disk management" via the control panel for you to format and partition the disk. After that is done, it'll show up in "my computer" as another storage device or disk and in "Windows Explorer" as a new volume unless you gave the volume a label when you formatted it.

I could be wrong, but I think that's the way it goes. I have never gone looking for a freshly installed disk in Windows until I formatted it the way I described above and so have never run across this "problem". But this holds true for all of the PATA, SATA, and SCSI disks that i have installed after the original OS install before (unless they had another OS on them and hung the system completely!).

Good Luck,
    Flint
  • edited July 2004
    hey thanks flintstone worked fine!
  • FlintstoneFlintstone SE Florida
    edited July 2004
    Glad I could Help!