Deleted User Account?

NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
edited July 2004 in Hardware
My friend is using WinME (I know, I know) and has encountered an interesting problem. After years of using the "Default" name on the computer, it has apparently been deleted by ...the computer. When she tries to use it Windows goes on about registering and creating the new username, ultimately saying that she's never used it before. The problem is, if she creates a new name, she doesn't want all of the data on the other names to be deleted, because its her father's small business computer. The secretary of the business has her own username, but is on vacation at the moment and unreachable, her password is unknown. Is there a master account that would go over the secretary's to allow her to login? Is there any fear of dataloss in the first place? Is this even worth worrying about? Thanks for your time and patience again, guys.

Comments

• jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    ok let me take a stab,If for whatever reason she creates a new user, the old user (default) shouldnt be deleted. however before you do anything I would boot in safe mode and backup all the data that is important to you (C:\windows\profile stuff maybe?). Safe mode should let you by all the stuff and give you access to the stuff you need i think, its been awhile since i messed with a 9x/me profile and user stuff. Try that and let me know. just remember to backup as soon as possible in case worse turns in to worst ;). trust me it can happen hehe

cheers and good luck