Recommended Hard Disk Backup Software

floppybootstompfloppybootstomp Greenwich New
edited August 2004 in Science & Tech
So what's good and what works?

I had previously used Powerquest's Drive Image 2002 and it worked well. It doesn't work in win XP, I had to use the two floppy disk setup to backup.

I hadn't done a full image backup since March so yesterday I deleted that and attempted another one. I tried three times and on each occasion the thing crashed on 98% copy.

On reading reviews of Drive Image 7.0, the latest version which is supposed to work within Win XP, I noted that a lot of customers said it wouldn't work well with SATA drives or HDD's connected to IDE three or four.

I'm using a RAID 0 setup on the SATA controller so maybe that's my problem, previously I was using a single HDD on IDE 1.

So, I don't fancy forking out hard earned wonga for Drive Image 7.0 if there's a question mark on that one.

Is Norton's Ghost any good? Any other alternatives that work well?

I have half an 80Gb seperate IDE HDD set aside as a partition to do the backup. I have around 42Gb on main disk atm but I figure that will go on OK with compression or I could make the partition 45Gb instead of it's current 40Gb size.

Comments

• ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Acronis True Image 8 :)

All ya need.

Does perfect images IN Windows, has multiple ways to restore, can mount the images and can do incremental backups on your assigned schedule :)
  • floppybootstompfloppybootstomp Greenwich New
    edited August 2004
    Shorty:

Purchased TI online last night, dead easy to use, have backed up using no compression.

You weren't the only one to recommend this software. And it works out cheaper than Drive Image or Ghost. Thanks for reply :)
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    It's a top piece of backup software. I backup my raptors nightly with it.

Apparently the new version of Ghost will support incremental backups & backup in Windows.. funny that ?

Id still recommend this over Ghost anytime. So much more intuitive and has saved my ass on more than one occasion! :D
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited August 2004
    Norton Ghost 9 implements features from Drive Image 7. Symantec bought lots of technology from PowerQuest, essentially swallowed PowerQuest whole (acquired it). So if the feature set of Ghost 9 seems to look a lot like the old Ghost plus Drive Image, one might say that this is NOT a coincidence. The one thing to be aware of about Ghost 9 is that it requires Microsoft.NET. I still like TrueImage best, myself.

ADDED: The new Ghost distribution will come with older software also, that will work on older machines with older Windows on them, and a bootable recovery CD. Symantec is also saying that a recovery CD will also be coming with SOME other products, but will not yet say which products. Note that Ghost is available in three forms now, Enterprise Ghost, Ghost Pro as standaalone, and consumer retail Ghost. I do not yet know if all three subversions of Ghost 9 will have all these features fully implemented, and the release date for Ghost 9 is stated as being Late August. Ghost 9 needs to be run on XP or 2000 for making backups. RECOVERY from a Ghost image can be from a Symantec Recovery CD boot, effective with Ghost 9.
  • mostlycloudymostlycloudy third floor
    edited August 2004
    either a *recent* Ghost or Acronis Image
  • edited August 2004
    Shorty wrote:
    Acronis True Image 8 :)

All ya need.

Does perfect images IN Windows, has multiple ways to restore, can mount the images and can do incremental backups on your assigned schedule :)

I have heard nothing but good things about acronis-true image. I am just getting into buying actual imaging backup software and was leaning towards true image except that I also read that the true image software did not support hard drive to hard drive imaging. Is that true and did did true image 8 address that?
    Thanks, in advance, for your input
    Xenon
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited August 2004
    In case you want to check this link, it MAY answer your question. Acronis FAQ.

Jon

http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/faq.html
  • floppybootstompfloppybootstomp Greenwich New
    edited August 2004
    Yes you can do disk to disk in V8.0. See attached images.