I need a Cable TV booster

CaffeineMeCaffeineMe Cedar Rapids, IA
edited November 2004 in Science & Tech
Having recently moved, I've found that my cable TV distribution leaves a little to be desired. I've got 7 cable drops wired throughout the house, all leading back to a single 8 port splitter.

The cable guy came in, took one look at that and said that my reception on all those ports would be miserable, so he unplugged all that I needed, and just hooked up 2 TV's and 1 connection for cable modem to a different 3 way splitter. FWIW, the cable modem drop is labeled 3.5db, and the TV's are 7db.

Right now, I'd like to be able to run 3 TV's upstairs, and not have signal degradation (it's OK right now as is, but I need to look forward). I know I need a signal booster, but I've got NO experience with such things. Where do I go, what do I look for? Cable guy said my internet connection would be better if the cable modem was on the 3.5 db connection, and not a 7 db connection, not the first time I've been told that either.

So, can someone recommend a decent CATV signal booster, and where to buy it?

Bill

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited November 2004
    I had a similar problem a few years back and solved it with a cheapo amplifier from Radio Shack. I'm sure there are much better devices available, but as I recall, that particular one only cost about thirty bucks.

It only had four ports, but if you just amplify the ones at the end of the run (or use a splitter after the amp) it should work.