Suggestions for the best price/performance for some NEW gear!

McBainMcBain San Clemente, CA New
edited January 2005 in Hardware
Like the title says, some suggestions for the best performance/price gear is needed.

I want a dvd burner, dual layer, dual format, and fast

I want a LCD, <20ms response time, and 19"...I'm leaning towards the Benq

I want a wireless router....range and format is all adjustable.

Thanks Guys

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    NEC ND-3500A for the burner. Can't go wrong.. Fastest, most reliable and compatible burner in existence.

I can't suggest an LCD, but here's a great roundup on a bunch of brands over at XBit Labs.

And lastly, I'm going to tow my wireless favorite and suggest Linksys; 802.11G is cheap, but has trouble with walls. 802.11B is slow, but doesn't have as much trouble. 802.11A has a shorter range than B/G, costs more, but has no trouble with walls and is quite fast. Linksys, I believe, offers a WAP that does all three as well as a PC card that does the same thing -- you could cycle the bands and see which one works best for your living arrangement.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited January 2005
    I am surprised you didnt suggest the a08.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    It's not better than the NEC. I buy and suggest what's best.

/me shrugs
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    Burner - Pioneer, I love mine and recommend them always.

LCD - Never had one, so cant help ya out here, but I would try for 16ms response time if possible.

Router - I just got a Netgear WGR614 and WG511 PC Card and have been happy with them. The WGR614 does 802.11g/b. I have it located in the basement and my wife always gets 48-54Mbps where ever she takes the laptop upstairs.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited January 2005
    The Pioneer does the same things he asked for. I thought I remember you suggesting the Pioneers because they were the most reliable? Did NEC pass them regarding quality burns? It would be nice since NECs are cheaper.