Wireless netowrking stuff: what to buy?

CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
edited March 2005 in Science & Tech
Ok people, please help me before I visit overclockers.co.uk and subject myself to their 'advice'...

My mum has acquired a second hand computer from her boss, and wants to share my internet connection. It's at the opposite end of the house, so I'd like to go wireless.

Can somebody tell me if the following will be ok, and what I need if not...

Asus Wireless WL-138G PCI Adapter @ £18.80 (top one on the page).

Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Broadband Router/4-Port Switch (NW-000-LS)
(22nd one down on page, just below half way down) @ £49.35. This has got a 4 port switch on too.

Basically, I'm thinking I should be able to put the router in my bedroom, link my ethernet cable to it, put the wireless network card into my mums computer and bobs you uncle, I only have to get one wireless network card.

Will it work ok, and will the network card be compatible with the router? I'm new to this so haven't a clue...

Cheers guys.

~Cyrix

Comments

• kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited March 2005
    Should work just fine. I have a Belkin router and a Linksys adapter connected to my Xbox and they work with each other. The only thing you should have to do is plug them in and turn them on, nothing fancy. Of course, you'll have to configure the router to work with your connection first, but I'm sure you knew that. You'll also have to setup wireless security, but all that is explained within the router instructions. It might seem strange at first, but you'll get it.