PSU problemo

WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
edited June 2003 in Hardware
yeah...for sum reason, when i shut the computer off, i cant put it back on immediatly. However, if i wait like 15 minutes...then it works like a charm... i can leave it on for days at a time...and thats totally fine...but when i shut it off...i gotta wait...why!!

Comments

• edited June 2003
    Give us some specifics on your setup, like psu brand and power rating, mobo and proc, if you are overclocked, hsf type, etc., so we can get a better guess at what might be your problem.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited June 2003
    You have a (weak) PSU that can't supply Starttup power for all of your components, but once the drives are spining (and using less power ie: a "warm boot") your PSU is capable of powering your system.

Upgrade your PSU
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2003
    If you're of a mind to fiddle around with it you might try disconnecting all drives (HD, Floppy & CD) except your boot drive. Unhook any extra fans (not CPU!). If it boots immediately then I would agree that your power supply is not doing what it should. Having the extra load off the system might leave enough juice to make things work. Obviously you'll want the other stuff back, but fortunately a power supply is very easy to replace. (Unless you've got an old emachine, in which case you'll spend $115 for a 150W proprietary form-factor replacement).

Prof

(Even if the stuff I suggested doesn't let you boot normally it could still be the power supply, unhooking the extra stuff just gives you a chance if the PS is right on the borderline between making it and not quite supplying enough juice. You might also want to check your temps).:)
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    im gonna try to unhook everything exceptr the necessary components...
    im currently using a 300w addtronics psu
    1.2ghz amd tbird
    512mb pc133 ram
    40gig maxtor hd
    4x (i think) samsung dvd drive
    2 extra fans (two exhaust...one directly next to the psu and one in the rear of the case)
    edited June 2003
    nope..that didnt help out at all....i guess the psu just has to be way too hot huh?
    edited June 2003
    its been doing it forever...(its a used psu...and its only used for a folding rig)
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited June 2003
    Looks like your psu is just about to flop out on you. From your specs it doesn't seem like you are stressing it to much, so I doubt that is a problem, might just be she's about to go on you.
    edited June 2003
    then shes been going out on people for like 2 or 3 years...which makes no sense...right?
    edited June 2003
    WuGgaRoO said
    then shes been going out on people for like 2 or 3 years...which makes no sense...right?

If it's been doing this for years it just might have a defect which is just not getting any worse. Like some of my relationships, it could have just settled in at a crummy, unsatisfactory level.:D

I would try another PS if possible. I don't want to uneccessarily alarm you, but there is a chance that it is the MB - it might just be ignoring the "start" signal. Trying a new PS should tell you in the unlikely event that it's the MB.

Prof
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited June 2003
    what's the 5v power rating?

Tbirds draw a lot of power and Old(er) socket A mobos power the CPU off of the 5v rail, If you 5v rating is 20A or less That's your Problem.

grab a PSU that has at least 30A on the 5v (and 18A on the 12v)
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited June 2003
    Omega65 said
    what's the 5v power rating?

Tbirds draw a lot of power and Old(er) socket A mobos power the CPU off of the 5v rail, If you 5v rating is 20A or less That's your Problem.

grab a PSU that has at least 30A on the 5v (and 18A on the 12v)

A good example of this is a Enermax, it has close to 32A on the 5v line
    edited June 2003
    its been like this with other motheboards...with a kr7a-raid and a xp 1900+ setup
  • edited June 2003
    If it's been doing this with other mobo's, then it is a weak psu and you just need to replace it. It's too wimpy for present systems, evidently. I would replace it pronto before something blows out internally and potentially fries your whole system. Hardocp had that happen to them on one of their killer gaming rig giveaway computers; an brand new Enermax psu smoked and fried a brand new mobo and Northwood P4 proc, and if I remember right, it might have got the vid card too.
  • ReignReign New York
    edited June 2003
    That's odd. It ran fine as a gaming rig for over 6 months and now it's running as a folding rig 24/7 for quite some time now. Only problem is that when you turn it off, it can't turn back on unless you wait some time.
    It can't be an issue of heat either. I was at WuG's house today and we had his room temp at 65F, so the PSU definately wasn't overheating, and it still wouldn't turn on after a shutdown. :(
    edited June 2003
    It could just be a flaky component. Like the starter in a car - once it has done its job its out of the picture, but when it doesn't you ain't going anywhere.

This might be interesting:

http://www.howstuffworks.com/power-supply.htm

Forgive me if this is old-hat for some of you.

Prof