Help MP3 player can't install software

EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
edited August 2005 in Hardware
My creative muvo tx fm simply can't find the needed software even though it should in win xp. What am i doing wrong. It has worked before but i haven't connected it to the computer since my reinstall.

creatives site said to check chipset and bios drivers and i did, they're all new. I've tried several different ports but non seem to work. The install guide starts and i press look for software automatacly but it never finds any.

Strangely though while helping my brother with his computer as in the "will i need chaasifans" thread i connected the player to test the front usbports and it worked without problems. Why there and not here. All my ports are in the back.

Perhaps worth claryfiing that i have no problems with any usb devices other than this one.

Comments

• EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Have you plugged it in the front ports before and installed the software for it? Remember that plugging devices into different USB ports makes Windows assume that it is a different device and install an entirely new set of drivers (which is why it is good to always remember what port you plug things into).

Do you have a driver disc/k for the Muvo or is it supposed to use the "Mass Storage Device" driver?
  • EyesOnlyEyesOnly Sweden New
    edited August 2005
    I don't remember which port i used to plug it into since it was so long ago. I guess i could just try them all but it doesn't show up in device manager so therefor it shouldn't be installed right, or is it listed as something else.

It does have i cd but the only drivers for it is for win 98se not xp, you're just supposed to plug it in. It does say something about a storage when plugged in so i guess that's the driver in use.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    The Muvo TX FM is a mass storage device. You drag and drop MP3s onto via windows explorer, so I can imagine that actually removing the device via the device manager, shutting the PC down, and then starting it back up with the device plugged in might help.
    edited August 2005
    I'll try that thrax. BTW while trying to find help i noticed that my helpcenter wasn't working. It said that helpctr.exe was missing. I think that my problems might have something to do with sp2 even though i had no problems with it before. I unstalled it and are now waiting for the computer to redownload it. After it's installed i'll post back.
    edited August 2005
    It still isn't finished downloading. May those ms bastards burn in hell for this. :rant::rant: :banghead: :mean:
  • EnverexEnverex
    strokes his Linux desktop in a non-sexually arousing fashion

:rolleyes2:
    Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    strokes his Linux desktop in a non-sexually arousing fashion

:rolleyes2:
    edited August 2005
    Ok i've reinstalled sp2 but of the 2 problems noted in post 5 both remain. HELP.

All this time to no good use. :bawling: :mad: :shakehead
    edited August 2005
    I tried doing a repair install of windows but then it crashed all together. Whenever i booted it said something about a failed boot and wanted to know if it should boot normaly or in failsafe. After selecting normal boot it just rebooted. By the sixt time it had done this i understood that i wasn't going back to windows.

Luckely i was prepaired. Before i did any installation i had backuped c: on anything nececcary, therefor it was easy to just format c and start over. Not that i like installing windows. I HATE IT. And just thinking about the apps i still have left to install really buggers me but most of all i hate the freaking low speed of ms servers. Can someone please explain to me why it took about a minute to download the newest catalyst drivers, yet 4 or so hours for that sp2!! :mean::scratch::rolleyes:

That file was at 33 or so megs while the sp2 file was at 100 megs. How can it go so slow.

BTW my problems are fixed :thumbsup: even though i had hoped that it wouldn't have come to this. :rolleyes: :bawling:

If only i could use all my apps and games on linux without trouble, i'd switch in a heartbeat. :cool: