nVidia 7800 GT hits the streets

Comments

• leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    here is my thought

$$$
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    So is there anything ATI has that will even compete with the GTX in performance? Damned the price?
  • edited August 2005
    RWB wrote:
    So is there anything ATI has that will even compete with the GTX in performance? Damned the price?

My bet is that they will release something in the next few weeks.

But regardless the 7800 Ultra is in the works, as is the card that will follow that, so I mean nVidia has been on top for almost 2 months now.

Personally I hope ATi bests nVidia with a better card, but how much better could another 24 pipeline card be??

The only way ATi could take the crown, if for a short amount of time even, is if they came out with a card that was lower in price and faster than any current nvidia card.

Meh I'm just talking for the sake of typing now.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Last I heard ATI was having trouble with their competitor to the 7800. I can't remember where I read that, but it might have been Maximum PC. I hope they get a card out and it's good. Competition is great for us consumers.
  • edited August 2005
    Preacher wrote:
    Last I heard ATI was having trouble with their competitor to the 7800. I can't remember where I read that, but it might have been Maximum PC. I hope they get a card out and it's good. Competition is great for us consumers.

I agree.

I've never purchased an ATi card, but that may change with time.

Although I am quite satisfied with my newest card.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited August 2005
    I recently switched from a 6800 ultra to an x800 xl, and I like my x800 better. I think i made the right move to ATI, and hopefully they will be able to beat nvidia. I mean whats scarier looking, a mermaid on your heatsink, or a monster thing?
  • edited August 2005
    tmh88 wrote:
    I recently switched from a 6800 ultra to an x800 xl, and I like my x800 better. I think i made the right move to ATI, and hopefully they will be able to beat nvidia. I mean whats scarier looking, a mermaid on your heatsink, or a monster thing?

The 6800 Ultra is overall a better card.

Not quite sure why you made the switch.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Remember when the 9700pro came out? It COMPLETELY shattered the bar, blew away the competition, and the whole community was kinda like, "huh? Where did that come from?" It put ATI on the map. Not saying that's gonna happen with this "round" but it could happen again....
  • edited August 2005
    Ati was already on the map when they released the Radeon 8500. They were tanking after nVidia's Geforce 3, but the 9700 brought them right back again.
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited August 2005
    The problem ATI is going to have now is that Nvidia currently has the market for the high end cards. Confidence in ATI is low because they had to take their GPU back to the bench and delay release. I know usually that means its going to be a better chip then the competitor, but as comsumers we dont like waiting.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    The press these days is going to SLI. Crossfire had better be good, and priced right.
    The new x200 mobos look nice, but they are way behind.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    these things seem to take turns,nvidia will come out with a better card than ati, the ati will trump nvidia and the cycle goes on. the good thing about this is competition, cause without it where would the push be to make faster video cards with more bandwidth and power.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited August 2005
    I don't know. I used to be an ATi fanboy, but then nVidia came out with the 6800 series and ATi was nowhere to be seen. They sort of caught up with their x800/50 series, but not really. nVidia still had SLi on their side.

They sort of pulled that out of nowhere, too, so ATi was caught way off guard. I'm sure they might've had some inside info, but not much. No one did. And their Crossfire still isn't out.

I have a feeling 2 x850XTs will just barely trump a single 7800gtx, and will be nowhere close to 7800gtx in SLi.

ATi, you better have something bloody wicked that you've been keeping secret, and I don't mean Crossfire.
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited August 2005
  • OrianeOriane Turn around.
    edited August 2005
    leishi85 wrote:
    here is my thought

$$$

Bottom line for me. I can't eat fps, pay tuition, or buy books with it. :(

I read that Crossfire will be able to pair up ATI cards with different speeds- but the slower one will set the pace for both. They may be trying to fix that- (?)