If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Icrontic Expo 2014: The gaming & general geekery event you don't want to miss. Read about what's new this year and then buy tickets here.

Extending scsi Dynamic disk

Buddha16Buddha16 Austin, Tx
edited Mar 2006 in Technology
So i'm in a pickle and i don't know what to do.........:werr:. My machine is running with 5 scsi hd's and this is how they are laid out.....

Drive 0-16.95g Seagate (c drive on 4g partition)+begining of (D: 13g) drive spanned to Drive 1
DYNAMIC
Drive 1-16.95g Seagate (d drive spanned from c)
DYNAMIC

Drive 2-73g Maxtor 73g Mirrored with Drive 3
DYNAMIC
Drive 3-73g Maxtor 73g Mirrored with Drive 2
DYNAMIC

Drive 4- 36g Hitachi Simple drive
BASIC

I have windows server 2000, and what I want to happen is to move the info on the D: drive (0+1 spanned) to my Hitachi Drive 4, and extend my c: drive to the whole 16g instead of it just being 4g. So the data transfer was just peachy thats done. Now i'm trying to extend the c: drive to the rest of the disk, but i can't because its dynamic and not basic, so i try some software. Well first thing i do is backup. Then i get the idea of making a clone of my c: drive and then extending it, well both acronis and partition magic don't work because it’s a dynamic drive and partition magic doesn't work on servers. So i'm just at a point where I can't think and my brain is fried after waiting for hours for all the backups and restore attempts. So if anyone has any tips i would appreciate it.:nudge:

Comments

• ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited Jan 2006
    Dynamic disks are done way and once they are setup, they are a bitch to change :(

Best plan honestly...? If the data is all backed up (check it first, really check it first), then nuke the disks & partitions.. revert back to basic & rebuild :)
  • Buddha16Buddha16 Austin, Tx
    edited Mar 2006
    //UPDATE//

Well i finally figured it out. I took shorty’s advice and did the following::aol:

After a long search for software that would work on the server platform and with dynamic disks, i came upon ghost 2003. :banghead: First I performed a backup to the tape drive, then it was pretty easy from there.

I formatted my second drive (Drive 1) and then removed all the other drives from the system (just in case). I told ghost to clone drive 0 (c: drive) to drive 1 (freshly formatted no partitions on it). Rebooted and it took over. Loaded dos and ghost and after a couple of hours it said it was done.:D

I took my original drive 0 out and moved drive 1 to that spot and rebooted. Seeing that server 2000 screen was great.:hair: I made sure everything went good with the cloning and it did. It even extended the partition for me AND now I have a basic disk. I performed a quick backup again, and after a couple of days running good, I formatted my original drive 0 and spanned it to the new drive 0.

So not to bad, very simple. Thanks again for your help shorty!!:respect:
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited Mar 2006
    Excellent news.. another satisfied customer :D