New Memory

NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
edited February 2006 in Hardware
Hey guys, I just bought some new memory.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820134028

I'm just wondering what i should set the timings too to get the best performance?

When i got it and put it in the timmings were as follows:
Cas - 2
Ras to Cas - 3
Ras Precharge - 3
Cycle time - 8
Bank cycle time - 12
DRAM idle timer - 16

I've changed it so it now reads:
Cas - 2
Ras to Cas - 3
Ras Precharge - 2
Cycle time - 6
Bank cycle time - 12
DRAM idle timer - 16

I've got everything set to the correct timmings except i don't know what the Bank/DRAM are supposed to be set at. Tell me what you guys think and what you think i should be running to get my best performance.

Thanks!

edit/
Running in an MSI k8n nforce4, 3000+ winchester.

Comments

• NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited February 2006
    Anyone?
  • edited February 2006
    You might want to play with the cycle time, I've read that the nF4 can sometimes work better with it set at 7 rather than 5, you might try benching it at different settings and see how it does.
    edited February 2006
    What benchmarks would you recomend for my memory?
  • edited February 2006
    memtest86 for testing stability and sandra is good for checking memory bandwidth. Everest Home Edition was a good way to check memory but the bastiches dropped it and are selling the pro version or something like that. It is a good program but not good enough for me to fork out money for it. :D
    edited February 2006
    What kind of memory bandwidth should i be looking for?
    edited February 2006
    anyone..anyone...Bueller...Bueller..anyone?
  • SmiGDigSmiGDig Albany, NY
    edited February 2006
    The RAM is rated at your current settings, 2-3-2-6 2.6v.

If you're not overclocking you can probably get it down lower, 2-2-2-5, but that won't make an earth shattering difference you may be looking for.

You can continue to bring the numbers down and test as you go running memtest86 as muddocktor suggested. Once you see how far you can get it, that's the most bandwidth you'll pull out of it without overclocking it.

SiSoftware Sandra comes with built in benchmarks on other systems so you can pick a system with a similar setup to get an idea of the bandwidth it can get, especially since you're not overclocking.
    edited February 2006
    Running 2-3-2-7, gettin 4820 bandwidth. I was running F@H when benchmarking..would that mess it up any?
  • edited February 2006
    Yes, it will negatively impact the bench.