UHG...overclocking

NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
edited March 2006 in Hardware
So i just got some new ram. And i went and started to mess around with my bios. And i wondered how far I could oc my cpu. So i put it at 220 mhz, and that was as far as it would let me. Anything after 220 and my pc would hybernate. Anyone know why this is and how i can change it?

Running
2 X 512 Kingston Hyperx pc3200 at 2-3-2-6-2T
MSI K8nf4
AMD 3000+ Winchester

Stock cooling and 4 case fans.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    What power supply are you using?
    What CPU heatsink, and have you replaced with stock thermal interface paste with quality stuff?

What are your CPU and system temperatures (Celsius, please) under load and under idle?

What are the indicated voltage readings of your PSU. Use Asus Probe or Motherboard Monitor 5 for temperature and voltage readings.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    probably because of your timings being too tight (2-3-2-6-2T)...just a guess.

try 3-3-3-8-2t and see if you get higher.

How much voltage are you giving the ram?
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited February 2006
    http://www.logisyscomputer.com/viewsku.asp?SKUID=PS550A_BK&DID=POWERSUPPLY I'm using this power supply.

I'm using stock heatsink and have replaced the stock thermal pad with some silver thermal.

Under load i run about 41*C and idle about 36*C

I havn't changed the voltages i'm giving to my ram. Its still getting the normal 2.6V.

edit/
    I installed motherboard monitor and booted it up. A box came up that said my CPU temp was at 127*C....??? so i restarted my pc uninstalled it and my mobo monitor said it was normal.
    edited February 2006
    Using the MSI core center program that came with the mobo. Here are my Voltage readings.

Vcore - 1.38 - 1.40 Volts

3.3V - 3.30 Volts

+5 - 5.08 - 5.11 Volts

+12 - 11.90 - 12.02 Volts
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited March 2006
    Hey Nightwolf, (I know you posted this three weeks ago) just wondering if you had any luck breaking past the 220MHz barrier?

If you havent already tried, reduce your 'HTT or LDT Multiplier' to 4x instead of 5x. (The option is sometimes listed as 1600MHz vs. 2000MHz in some bioses).
    edited March 2006
    Nope, havn't had any luck yet. I will try what you said.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Nightwof
    lemonlime is right, you need to chane the LDT multiplier before it will go any farther. You can also change the memory divider to something lower so you aren't overclocking your memory as much. Slowly increase your bus speed in increments of 5 till you have problems getting into Windows or other instablity then slowly increase your core volts. But I don't think you will be able to increase the core voltage very far as your stock HSF will hold you back on temps.
    edited March 2006
    Still having no luck.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited March 2006
    Nightwolf wrote:
    Still having no luck.

Have you tried using a memory divider, Nightwolf? Try the 5/6 (166MHz divider) it could be your memory hitting a wall before your chip does.
    edited March 2006
    Whats a memory divider? and where do i find it?

Is there anything in my BIOS i might need to disable/enable that could be keeping my pc from oc'ing?
  • FlashesFlashes Sweden
    edited March 2006
    You will find that option in Your bios, look in the manual for your MB.

A memory divider makes Your RAM work with a divider (fraction) of the FSB.
    CPU 220*12=2640 MHz (FSB* Multipler)
    memory (220*(5/6))*2=367 MHz (FSB*divider*2)
    Without divider Your Ram had worked with 220*2=440 MHz

Forgot
    Read lemonlimes guide for overclocking, the link in his sign
    edited March 2006
    I'm not seeing the memory divider in my BIOS or manual. Does it have any other names?
  • FlashesFlashes Sweden
    edited March 2006
    In my bios I find it under
    Genie Bios/DRAM configuration/DRAM settings
    Where I can choose 200/180/160Mhz etc. Or 1/1, 9/10,5/6 etc depending on what it says in Yours.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    My mem divider is very well disguised. It looks like this:

memclock mode b]auto[/b [limit]

Then when I set it to limit (manual) it looks like this with these options:

memclock mode b]limit[/b
    memclock value [200 mhz] [183 mhz] [166 mhz] [133 mhz] [100 mhz]

memclock value b]200 mhz[/b = 1:1
    memclock value b]183 mhz[/b = .915:1
    memclock value b]166 mhz[/b = .83:1
    memclock value b]133 mhz[/b = .665:1
    memclock value b]100 mhz[/b = .5:1

It doesn't actually give me the ratios I had to figure them out on my own ...like 166/200=.83

Yours may be different ...this asus/ati chipset uses ami bios.
    edited March 2006
    I tried the memory divider, still can't get past 220. Anyone else have this much trouble their first time oc'ing?
    edited March 2006
    Have any of you heard of any problems with MSI bios that aren't letting people OC? Is there a diff BIOS version i should be using? I'm using Pheonix v. 6.0PG
    edited March 2006
    My experience with MSI motherboards is limited. But from my experience and from many sources in the online computer tech community, it would appear the the engineering behind MSI motherboards is for features and stability, not overlcocking. Sure they will overclock, but they are not in the "enthusiast" category with Abit, Asus, and DFI. Concerning you BIOS question: I don't know if it's a BIOS limitation or not. I do know though, that with both MSI boards I've used - 945P Neo-F, I could get considerably better overclcocking through the software overcocking utility, Core Cell, than through BIOS settings. Bass ackwards if you ask me. To MSI's credit though, their boards are high quality and rock stable.
  • edited March 2006
    Heh, I was wondering how long it would take someone to pick up on the LDT multi :D
    edited March 2006
    What is an "LDT multi"?
  • edited March 2006
    the LDT multiplier is how the hypertransport is equal to 2000mhz (1000x2 at least)
    So, normally an A64 is 200x5=1000x2=2000HTT (200fsb is stock as you may know) and if you go too far over that, say 220x5=1100x2=2200HTT and then you will hit instablility problems, so then you drop the LDT multi to something that will make the HTT most equal to 1000 (2000 effective)
    220x4=880x2=1760HTT - You will probably not notice the performance drop unless you're a superPI whore though

so a good goal would be 250x4=1000x2=2000HTT again.

That help out anything that mighta been foggy?