Upgrade Questions

Yayo01Yayo01 Member
edited May 2006 in Hardware
Is fixing/upgrading/whatever my 5 y/o pc is even worth it?

The Specs that i know:

Intel P4 1.7GHZ
Geforce 4 MX/MX 400 128MB
Memory: 96+MB (unsure)
Matrox 40GB HDD
Fujitsu 4.01GB HDD (a pretty old and still fuctioning one, its 9+ y/o)
Floppy Drive (doh)

I use this pc for gaming and my mom use it for her office.

thnx in advance. :rockon:

Comments

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Are you asking about the value of upgrading, or about the possibility of aquireing new components to use with some of these old components?
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    Sorry to say but that comp has no hope to play future games... and I would be suprised if it played todays new games.

As I know the Geforce 4 MX/MX 400 128MB isn't supported for most new games...
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    I think that's why he wants to look at his options for upgrading it...:scratch:
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    I wouldn't bother. It seems senseless to plunk good cash into an old system for which new parts would be a total waste to try and transition at a later date. I would bear with that system till I could get the cash to completely replace it with something new.
  • Yayo01Yayo01 Member
    edited April 2006
    mtgoat wrote:
    I wouldn't bother. It seems senseless to plunk good cash into an old system for which new parts would be a total waste to try and transition at a later date. I would bear with that system till I could get the cash to completely replace it with something new.

So..I should Give my PC to my 8 y/o brother? and ask my mom to get me a new Pc?
    edited April 2006
    Yayo01 wrote:
    So..I should Give my PC to my 8 y/o brother? and ask my mom to get me a new Pc?
    If you could swing that deal I would say yes!!! :hitit2:
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited April 2006
    You could add memory (as long as it isn't RDRAM), stuff a new video card into it, and put a faster/larger hard drive in....the your brother would have an OK machine.
    You need something newer. Heck, even my used boxes are newer.
    You don't have to go leading edge to get a good machine.
    We can help guide you.
  • Yayo01Yayo01 Member
    edited April 2006
    ok...my bro (he's 14) has a pc he rarely use because i jacked it from him (but i still share the pc to him) after my pc got reformat...so....is his pc worth upgrading? xD

specs that i know xD

Intel P4 2.4GHZ
    256MB Memory
    GeForce 2 MX/MX 400 64MB
    the Harddrive is the same as mine but without a secondary.
    A nice Fan on the Side

thats all i know...maybe..WE could switch pc's? :scratch: and all i have to do is jack my GF4 Card and give him the Geforce 2

and jack the new modem i putted on my old pc and give him the old one from his pc?!?!?!!!

my mom is also interested in my old pc....since sometimes she gets bored using a laptop.
  • jradminjradmin North Kackalaki
    edited April 2006
    Tha computer needs more RAM. You need 1 gig at the least and a much better graphics card.

A gforce 4 card is like playing todays game with an etch-a-sketch.
  • Yayo01Yayo01 Member
    edited April 2006
    i asked my mom to get me a new pc and...she somewhat agree

so...what pc u recommend? i want to run Generals/Generals ZH/BFME/BF2 smooth :D
    edited April 2006
    Do you have any computer skills?

Where do you live?

I ask because the best is to do it yourself. Second best is to have a small local shop build one. And if you can, try avoid buying an OEM (in a box like Dell, Gateway or HP etc).

This could possibly be the hard part for your mom to understand.
  • Yayo01Yayo01 Member
    edited April 2006
    Do you have any computer skills?

All i know is clean the inside (as in just brush it) and Spyware removal and game modding.
    Where do you live?
    Philippines.
    I ask because the best is to do it yourself. Second best is to have a small local shop build one. And if you can, try avoid buying an OEM (in a box like Dell, Gateway or HP etc).

This could possibly be the hard part for your mom to understand.

I COULD..buy the needed hardware for my pc and...ask my mom to contact a PC Tech that she knows and ask him to built it for me??

since i cant make pc's and my mom wont allow me xD

EDIT: I forgot to mention....PC hardware here is expensive :S
    edited April 2006
    Let me put a few ideas together and get back here later as I have stuff to do right now. Let see what others might suggest too.

Together we will get you a new machine! :D
  • Yayo01Yayo01 Member
    edited April 2006
    Should i get a AMD or Intel Processor? and should i get 128 RAM? or 256MB? (i cant afford a 1GB or 512MB)

Thanks
  • V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited April 2006
    Try MonarchPc.com THey build a customized system for you. It may be a bit more expensice then if you would have done it youreself, but you would have to pay that labor anywhere, so it's all good. And it would be way better than a Dell, while still way cheaper than Alienware. Also, since they won't let you put together two parts that do not go together, you can;t really make a mistake, and I'm pretty sure they come with good warranties. If you decide to do it, let us know and we'll tell you what parts are good!
  • Yayo01Yayo01 Member
    edited April 2006
    SCAR wrote:
    Try MonarchPc.com THey build a customized system for you. It may be a bit more expensice then if you would have done it youreself, but you would have to pay that labor anywhere, so it's all good. And it would be way better than a Dell, while still way cheaper than Alienware. Also, since they won't let you put together two parts that do not go together, you can;t really make a mistake, and I'm pretty sure they come with good warranties.

Hmmm question...do i have pay the hardware needed? beside the labor cost?
    If you decide to do it, let us know and we'll tell you what parts are good!

Sure go ahead...tell the good stuff since im canvassing for the price :D
    edited April 2006
    SCAR
    Yayo01 lives in the Philippines so Monarch Computer is out of the question.

Yayo01
    An AMD 64 Venice core would be your best bet for performance but it is also possible to get a better price on an Intel LGA775 CPU. I am not familiar with the differences in availability and pricing where you live. I will come right out and say that 512 mb is the bare minimum for any modern machine with 1 GB being prefered and 2 GB optimal. Your idea of your mom's friend building with parts you aquire is an excellent plan as long as they know what they are doing.
  • Yayo01Yayo01 Member
    edited April 2006
    mtgoat wrote:
    SCAR
    Yayo01 lives in the Philippines so Monarch Computer is out of the question.

Yayo01
    An AMD 64 Venice core would be your best bet for performance but it is also possible to get a better price on an Intel LGA775 CPU. I am not familiar with the differences in availability and pricing where you live. I will come right out and say that 512 mb is the bare minimum for any modern machine with 1 GB being prefered and 2 GB optimal.

I'll ask him how much is a AMD 64 Venice core Mobo (processor) ...and ill ask how much is a 1GB ram
    Your idea of your mom's friend building with parts you aquire is an excellent plan as long as they know what they are doing.

I *could* contact him (if he's not busy) and ask him if he can come with me and buy parts for the pc.
  • Yayo01Yayo01 Member
    edited April 2006
    btw whats the recommended GFX card for a gamer like me? :)
    edited April 2006
    Yayo01 wrote:
    btw whats the recommended GFX card for a gamer like me? :)
    It depends on your budget.
  • Yayo01Yayo01 Member
    edited April 2006
    my budget would $87.15 something

Btw 3 years ago i bought a GeForce 4 card for around $79.79 :D , I guess..hardware here is somewhat cheaper
  • Yayo01Yayo01 Member
    edited April 2006
    hello...im back...

My mom is buying me a pc (good :D) but she need a specs for the PC i want...so can anyone tell whats the best specs for me? I want to run old and new games (2007 games EG: CnC III)and Adobe Photoshop smooth :)

Needed specs asked by my mom:

Processor Speed:
    Motherboard:
    Ram:
    HDD:
    CD-Rom Drive:
    Monitor:
    Fans:
    Case:
    Modem:
    Speakers (i could spare my old speakers tho):

Thnx in advance

PS:she needs the specs tommorow so she can order it tommorow, so this is kinda urgent.
    edited April 2006
    I have a perfect thread for you and I also listed below some basics.... http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=303

Processor Speed: AMD Athlon 64 1.8ghz or higher or Intel Pentium 4 3.0Ghz or better Intel Duo 1.8Ghz or better

Graphics Card: Nvidia 6600 or better ATI X600 or better!
    Look at this chart to see performance! and names of cards....
    http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43899

Motherboard: if you get a brand name like Dell or HP this won't matter

Ram: 1 Gig or more

HDD:120GB + bigger is always better, especially with new games being 6.7GB

CD-Rom Drive: try to get a CD/ DVD burner most new PC's come with these standard

Monitor: LCD's are the in thing so 15" or better, once again most new PC's will come with 17" LCD or better.

Fans: most OEM fans will do...

Case: OEM Case is good

Modem: Ethernet! or modem this depends on your internet connection. most new PC's have Ethernet, if you are using dialup or DSL make sure you get one with a Regular Modem
  • Yayo01Yayo01 Member
    edited April 2006
    I have a perfect thread for you and I also listed below some basics.... http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=303

Processor Speed: AMD Athlon 64 1.8ghz or higher or Intel Pentium 4 3.0Ghz or better Intel Duo 1.8Ghz or better

Graphics Card: Nvidia 6600 or better ATI X600 or better!
    Look at this chart to see performance! and names of cards....
    http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43899

Motherboard: if you get a brand name like Dell or HP this won't matter

Ram: 1 Gig or more

HDD:120GB + bigger is always better, especially with new games being 6.7GB

CD-Rom Drive: try to get a CD/ DVD burner most new PC's come with these standard

Monitor: LCD's are the in thing so 15" or better, once again most new PC's will come with 17" LCD or better.

Fans: most OEM fans will do...

Case: OEM Case is good

Modem: Ethernet! or modem this depends on your internet connection. most new PC's have Ethernet, if you are using dialup or DSL make sure you get one with a Regular Modem

Thanks for the Thread Sledge :D btw...what OEM stands for? xD

btw can u specify a manufacturer or other stuff ? :) xD btw i was asing because my mom is going to order a custom built PC
  • edited April 2006
    OEM=Original Equipment Manufacturer - parts that don't come in the pretty retail box, but rather will most likely be shipped in an antistatic bag wrapped with bubblewrap. They are the same equipment as the retail box version most times, but dispense with the packaging to save some costs. Also, with processors, you don't get the retail heatsink and fan, or the 3 year warrantee. But a lot of oem stuff like optical drives and hard drives come with the same warrantee as the retail packaged versions.

For manufacturers, I think that Asus and MSI are 2 good motherboard manufacturers with good solid mobos.

For video cards, there are several to choose from that make very good cards; it just depends on if you prefer ATI or Nvidia based cards. MSI makes video cards that use both company's gpu's.

For power supplies, I generally look at name brand companies that are known for their quality power suplies such as Antec, Enermax, OCZ, Fortron Source, Sparkle, PC Power and Cooling (very expensive, but the best on the market, IMO), and I've also heard good things about Seasonic and Superflower.

For memory, also stick with a known memory manufacturer such as OCZ, Corsair, Crucial Technologies, Patriot, G. Skil and PQI.

For your hard drives, Western Digital, Seagate and Maxtor are good choices. You might be able to get a good deal on Maxtor drives too, since they have been bought out by Seagate.

For optical drives I usually look at NEC or Lite on.
    edited April 2006
    Ask her what company she is thinking of ordering the computer from, "Dell, HP, Gateway, ACER etc..." we might be able to point you in the right direction. If she even lets us know the series she is looking at we could give you a few setup options that could be ideal :)
  • Yayo01Yayo01 Member
    edited April 2006
    Ask her what company she is thinking of ordering the computer from, "Dell, HP, Gateway, ACER etc..." we might be able to point you in the right direction. If she even lets us know the series she is looking at we could give you a few setup options that could be ideal :)

She's not ordering a branded OEM...She's ordering from a PC Tech thats why shes asking the specs i want because the PC Tech will build the *custom* pc.

you guys could email my mom :P so u can help me! since i suck at PC specs xD

:bigggrin:
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Do you have an actual budget number? That would make it considerably easier to find things to fit the total rather than guessing...
    edited May 2006
    Enverex wrote:
    Do you have an actual budget number? That would make it considerably easier to find things to fit the total rather than guessing...
    Since Yayo01 lives in the Philippines our prices won't really help. I already tried looking on local sites for that area and it is very difficult as their pricing doesn't follow the same trends and such. It would just be better to list the parts like we would for someone here on an average budget. That way it would serve as a good guide on what to look for.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Your prices aren't relative to mine anyway due to the UK being different from anywhere else too. I asked because I was going to see if I could get a list of components from somewhere that he could actually order from.