AMD & ATI may merge ??

MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
edited June 2006 in Hardware
Did you all see this ?

http://today.reuters.com/business/newsArticle.aspx?type=technology&storyID=nN31230925

Sounds like a strong maybe. I don't know if this would be all that good for us the consumer. All though it could make for some kickass setups :scratch:

Comments

• V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited May 2006
    Missileman wrote:
    Did you all see this ?

http://today.reuters.com/business/newsArticle.aspx?type=technology&storyID=nN31230925

Sounds like a strong maybe. I don't know if this would be all that good for us the consumer. All though it could make for some kickass setups :scratch:
    I prefer AMD over iNtel.
    I Prefer ATI over nVidia.

Putting them together? AWESOME!!!!!! Although it could be more expensive. But then again, it could be cheaper also... :range:
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    It depends how it goes. I could see this going well, but I could see this as a bad deal for the consumers also.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    This rumor was shoot down at Tomshardware the other day, with the VP saying ATI isn't for sale.

Also I see a red flag with this as AMD is buddy Buddy with Nvidia. Unless AMD is buying ATI to elminate the Graphic Card side of things... and just keep the cell phone growth which ATI is doing very good at :)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    You know, if I were a VP and my company was entering supar sekrat negotiations for the sale of my firm, I'd say it was BS too.. Even if it wasn't.
  • McBainMcBain San Clemente, CA New
    edited June 2006
    Shaddup and write your bitter bisquit article! FASTER!!!!
    edited June 2006
    It's in production. I've been sick and busy. SHUT THE HELL UP. :rant:
  • edited June 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    It's in production. I've been sick and busy. SHUT THE HELL UP. :rant:

Busy being sick or sick of being busy?

This came up over at TG and I'm of the opinion that with AMD having *just* thrown $2.5 billion into a new fab that their investors would most likely be very skeptical about sinking god knows how much into buying ATI.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Once again isn't AMD buddy buddy with Nvidia?
  • edited June 2006
    Once again isn't AMD buddy buddy with Nvidia?

AMD is buddy-buddy with anyone that makes them money actually. They used to be distributors for Intel back in the day.
  • edited June 2006
    I couldnt really think of any reason to do this until I saw the bottom paragraph:-
    Walia said he did not think Intel should consider buying a graphics company but should focus on communications instead. ATI's chief competitor is Nvidia Corp. (NVDA.O: Quote, Profile, Research).

Do Intel not still have the biggest share when it comes to graphics chipsets in desktop computers? Could see ATI going back to the bad old onboard Rage days.

They'd be better picking up someone like Matrox instead...
    edited June 2006
    Yes, Intel is #1 in the graphics market due to integrated garbage.