Wireless

NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
edited July 2006 in Science & Tech
Since i'm tired of going threw network cables because of dogs chewing on them I decided to run wireless. Well, for the first two days it ran fine, and now it wont stay connected and when I am connected it will tell me that i'm not. I don't know if someone in the house messed with the router settings but it worked flawlessly for the first two days.

What should I do or look for to make it stay connected longer than three minutes.

I'm running a D-Link DWL-G510 card, and this router http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833122022

Comments

• Park_7677Park_7677 Missouri Member
    edited July 2006
    You might try the wireless client that comes with your wireless card. I've noticed that using the Windows wireless client with my Intel B/G card it will disconnect or report its connection status incorrectly.

I switched to the Intel client and even though I dislike it very much functionality wise it does stay connected with no drops (as long as I'm in range).
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Park, I'm going to piggy back on this thread, as I sometimes have a similar problem. Concerning running the the wireless card's client versus Windows': if I were to do that with one of the cards (four computers on wireless LAN), would I then have to run cards' clients on all the machines. In other words, can you mix and match clients in a WLAN?
  • Park_7677Park_7677 Missouri Member
    edited July 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    In other words, can you mix and match clients in a WLAN?
    Yes, you will be able to use any number of different clients in a WLAN. Not saying the different client would work but it's definitely worth a shot.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    I personally preferr the windows client vs the software that comes with the wireless cards. I have to deal with so many guests with wireless that most of the time when I switch them over to using the windows utility they all of a sudden connect just fine. Not to mention all these STUPID clients are so different it's hard as hell to memorize how to get someone connected for each one. And just to vent, I HATE CISCO AIRONET... WTF were they thinking!?

OK sorry for the small crap, but I had to. :P
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Not saying the different client would work but it's definitely worth a shot.
    For the fun of it, I played with the configuration software of the Belkin wireless card in one of my computers. Long story short, I had to uninstall the card and it's drivers from Windows, and reinstall to get the network connection back. I didn't bother reinstalling all the Belkin junk software. Windows configuration utility is much easier. In all fairness, I could be that I didn't get all the settings right with the Belkin software, but why bother, Windows is so much easier.