CD RW not found

fmuellerfmueller Auckland, NZ Icrontian
edited July 2006 in Hardware
Over the last couple of weeks I have cleaned up my machine with the help of the good people on this forum (http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48005 and http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48125). Many thanks!

Currently I am at the stage where I have got rid of all detectable spyware and viruses, and am protected my Zone Alarm, AVG, and Ewido. I would now like to backup my system before using Partition Magic to resize the partitions on my HD, especially to create more space on the C: partition, which is currently has a capacity of 1.95GB with only 44MB of free space.

The problem is that after the virus/spyware removal and update to SP4 (I am running Windows 2000 Professional), my system can no longer find my DVD-RW drive. It's a NEC ND-1300A.

NEC says about the thing (http://www.de.nec.de/print_faq.php?id=1341):
The NEC CD/ DVD Burners are ATAPI-devices, there is no need for
special drivers when using operating systems like Linux, MacOS or
Windows 9x/ME/NT/2000 and XP, because the drivers are already
embedded there.

If a DvD burningsoftware does not recognize the drive as a
CD/ DvD-Burner or demands a driver, all you need to do is
to update this software, pls. contact in this case manufacturer
of burningsoftware for updates.

The problem is, however, that not only a particular burningsoftware does not see the thing, but Windows explorer does not see the drive either, and I can't even play an audio CD in it.

I used the add/remove hardware wizard to uninstall the thing, and windows immediately found and reinstalled it upon reboot, but the problems persist.

I also have an older CD drive (Liteon CD-ROM LTN 485), which I tried to connect instread, also without success.

When I troubleshoot either device using the hardware wizard it says:
This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device (Code 31).

Any suggestions what I could do?

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2006
    Uninstall the IDE Controller to which it is attached. Reboot, then see if it comes back. :)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Also try Method 1 found here.
  • fmuellerfmueller Auckland, NZ Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Prof - I would have tried your recommendation first, but had no idea how to uninstall an IDE controller :hiding:

Thrax - that worked! I had to remove both, the Lower Filters and Upper Filters entry, but now I can see the drive in Windows Explorer.

Many thanks to both of you!

Unfortunately my drive is still not recognized by my burning software (NTI CD & DVD maker), even after I upgraded to a newer version on the NTI web site. I also have an ancient version of Nero on my machine, which I haven't used in ages - probably since I swapped my old CD burner for the DVD burner some years back. It also does not recognize the drive. Any suggestions?
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited July 2006
    fmueller wrote:
    ...my drive is still not recognized by my burning software (NTI CD & DVD maker), even after I upgraded to a newer version on the NTI web site. I also have an ancient version of Nero on my machine, which I haven't used in ages - probably since I swapped my old CD burner for the DVD burner some years back. It also does not recognize the drive. Any suggestions?
    Hunt around in the Nero tools section for an update program. An older version may still be quite usable if you can get its drive database relatively current.

What version of Nero do you have?
  • fmuellerfmueller Auckland, NZ Icrontian
    edited July 2006
    Hi Guys,

Just wanted to say thanks again for your input! I managed to dig up the instalation disk for the NTI burn software, and re-installing it sorted the issue out. It's actually quite a nice burn software in my experience, so I won't need to bother with NERO at this stage, which might be god since I have version 5.0.3.8., and there site offers updates (free) only as far back as version 6xxx. Upgrades (eg from 5xxx to 6xxx or 7xxx) cost $$$.