Need help with X800XL AGP

edited August 2006 in Hardware
This graphics card, X800XL-256MB-GDDR3-AGP is creating trouble in my last build (#5 below). It is okay when I run any 3DMark benchmark but when my son wants to play Halo computer reboots randomly, usually after 15 minutes. I tested with Battlefield 2, it freezes the computer after about 5-10 minutes. I eliminated RAM and CPU as they are completely stable since several days, folding 100% on both cores. Also tested with Prime95 and Memtest, both passed.

I am not overclocking the graphics card and its cooler is still the stock cooler. I have used a dedicated power cable for the graphics card from the PSU (which is a 450W Rosewill from Newegg). I suspect the problem is heat but Catalyst Control center (driver version 6.6) is not reporting any temperature. I found that ATItool was able give me temperature measurements. During its maximum core frequency tests temperature is given as 61C max, which is not too bad. When I checked the temperature by touching the heatsink with my finger, i was NOT able to keep my finger on it, it was that hot. I think ATItool is not reporting the correct temperature, is there anyone who knows a reliable temperature monitoring tool for this graphics card? I am planning to order Arctic Cooling ATI Silencer 5, my experience with NV silencer 5 was phenomenal with 3 different 6800LE/XTs. Do you know any bad experience with ATI Silencer 5? Everyone, please let me know your comments.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• edited August 2006
    If I change the cooler I will void the warranty, is there any other suggestion before doing this? Should I RMA the card instead of cooler change?
  • edited August 2006
    Resolved. The problem was not the graphics card, I had to disable the Performance Memory Access in BIOS (P5P800-SE). Additionally, I have a better video cooler now.

Thanks anyway