Finding my load temp

KyleKyle Lafayette, LA New
edited August 2006 in Hardware
I just started OCing my 4200+ socket AM2. I was running Prime95 to check for stability but I noticed my CPU usage was only around 50%. I'd like a tool that I can run forever (with 100% CPU usage) and interrupt when I want so that I can find my load temp. Can anyone recommend one?

Comments

• WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    awwww cmon
    http://folding.stanford.edu

team:93

you might as well help us out while you are testing your load temp
  • KyleKyle Lafayette, LA New
    edited August 2006
    hmmm I can't believe I didn't think of folding. I used to fold for 93 (or was it team icrontic?) a few years ago. I guess I'll give it a shot, but I don't plan on running it much longer than to find out what my load temp is and OC'ing more.
  • KyleKyle Lafayette, LA New
    edited August 2006
    Well... I just installed F@H and I have the same "problem" I had with Prime95: it's only 50% CPU Usage. Both cores are being used and at varying levels, but the average (the CPU Usage meter) stays at almost exactly 50%. What gives?

Is there another program that will be aware of my dual cores and use both at 100%?

EDIT: Ok so stupid me just found the Burn-In tool in SiSoft Sandra (it's been a while). This is just what I was looking for and it uses 100% of both cores.
    edited August 2006
    ooo u needed two occurances of [email]f@h...and[/email] i guess the same went for prime 95
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited August 2006
    The easiest thing is to make two folders, and copy PRIME95.exe to each. You simply need to launch two copies of PRIME95 to utilize both cores. I would actually recommend SP2004 by Johnny Lee. Do a google search, you'll find it. It provides some built in support to select core affinity, and you can select which core you'd like to run it on. The benefit of selecting core affinity for each copy of SP2004 is that you can identify exactly which core is failing. If you do not do that, the load will be split across the two processors evenly (in most situations). You can do the same with Prime95 manually, but you'll have to do it from the task manager (right click each one and select 'Set Affinity').

Hope that helps!

Btw, for F@H, you should check out the following link: http://www.short-media.com/review.php?r=293

drasnor wrote it a while back, and it will explain everything you need to know about running F@H on two cores/cpus.

Also, as much as I love F@H, Prime95 and SP2004 will heat your CPU up more than F@H. For me it is usually 3-5'C more. We'd love to have you back on the folding team! even if it is just part-time. Every bit counts! :cheers:
    edited August 2006
    this is the same problem i have with SLI...cpus should NOT be doing this whole "let me run one program while the other cpu does the other" there is no full out integration...we really need to figure out a way to make the two cpus act together as 1... i mean there are some benefits of this....for instance u could do some hardcore media watcha ma huzit with one cpu...while u surf the web with the other..and thats kinda cool..but cmon!!! we need more integration...its kinda like psuedo multitasking..but im just talking out my butt right now..its 9am..i studied all of yesterday and today for a physics final which i had to comprehend relativity in less than 3 hours
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    That's the value of having SMP, because one full CPU is enough to handle large tasks; however, with single CPUs, we just don't know what it's like, because the single CPU has to handle everything! Having a pristine, unclaimed CPU is a major boon to intensive applications.

To get what you want, which CAN help in certain situations (media encoding, think any application that the Pentium 4 really excelled in), is technically very challenging; keeping both cores synchronized, for starters, is a big problem. Secondly, applications need to be written to feed to SMP CPUs in a synchronous manner, with threads being launched to each core in the right order. It's a two-fold problem.