HD recognized in bios & Device Manager but not My Computer - huh??

ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
edited October 2006 in Hardware
OK I'm new to nforce4 but this is a wierd one. I had to unplug a PATA Maxtor 120GB HD to install WinXP Pro on my new A8N-E mobo//2@ Raptors in RAID0. Windows is installed and patched up to SP2, chipset and all other hw drivers loaded fine, system is working 100% and not overclocked.

I powered down and plugged the Maxtor back in. It is found in the bios as IDE master, alone on its own cable, Windows showed the new hardware was recognized. It is there in the Device Manager, shown as working. But it's not in 'My Computer', ie, I can't access the drive to use it for storage. Multiple reboots and leaving the computer off overnight have changed nothing.

I'm probably missing something simple - what is it? Do I need to go somewhere in Windows and uhhh enable it or something? :confused2

PS - I did some searching around and found nforce4 has some compatibility issues with Maxtor but this seems to apply to SATA/SATAII drives only and is fixed with new firmware from Maxtor.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Start -> run -> "diskmgmt.msc"

Do you see your drive in the list? If so, you'll need to assign it a letter or hit "Initialize disk."
  • EssoEsso Stockholm, Sweden
    edited October 2006
    Yep,
    I got the same problem with my DFI and SATA / PATA drives.
    Must disconnect the PATA drive when installing the XP on the SATA drive.
    I have now replaced the PATA drive with another SATA drive. :tongue:

If the Maxtor HDD is new you have to initialized it.

Control panel --> Administrative Tools --> Computer Management --> Disk Management.

There you will find the Maxtor HDD, select it and ....
    http://www.aria.co.uk/initialize-Windows-XP.htm

Edit,
    Thrax is just to fast for me :wave:
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Bingo. Thankyew, gentlemen.