Minor Possible Problem on X2 Core

ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
edited October 2006 in Folding@Home
Set up 2 folders 'Folding1' and 'Folding2' directly on my C: drive. Put a console of F@H 5.02 in each. Started the first one, set it as service, at the bottom of advanced set it as machine 1 (in Folding1). Did the same in Folding2 except calling it machine 2 at the bottom of advanced.

Rebooted. Task manager only shows one version of FahCore_78.exe running, using 50%. Should I be showing 2? Assuming 2 @ 50% ea, based on earlier reading, right?

4600+ X2 on A8N-E mobo fwiw. XP Pro up to SP2.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Did you set the CPU affinity (CPU0, CPU1) in the advanced setup of the console clients for each?
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Dammit im getting my new box all screwed up just trying to get folding running

1. I still have a service for the 5.05 beta console I tried and didn't work. I dont know how to delete this service. I disabled it for now. I tried to change the name and or executable path but tho they highlight in blue, I cant delete or change them.

2. I set up 5.02 console to be services and for different machines. Neither one started on reboot.

I need a full, end to end step by step guide to doing this, touching on the points above if possible.

I also need to go take my blood pressure medication.
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    keto wrote:
    Dammit im getting my new box all screwed up just trying to get folding running

1. I still have a service for the 5.05 beta console I tried and didn't work. I dont know how to delete this service. I disabled it for now. I tried to change the name and or executable path but tho they highlight in blue, I cant delete or change them.

2. I set up 5.02 console to be services and for different machines. Neither one started on reboot.

I need a full, end to end step by step guide to doing this, touching on the points above if possible.

I also need to go take my blood pressure medication.

sounds like you want to start over. The bluetentacle app makes all of this very easy, so check this out:

1. stop the service(s) (start > run > services.msc)
    2. on a command prompt, type: sc delete <servicename> for each service that is there. For me, this would be: sc delete fah1
    3. Delete the installation folders you have.
    4. Go download bluetentacle's service install app (check out the zip I have attached)
    5. Go download the latest stable console client of FAH (also included in the zip)
    6. Extract all the files and put them in a folder. Make a shortcut to the FAH console app. Modify the shortcut target (right-click the shortcut > properties) and add a -configonly switch on the end. Save.
    7. double-click the shortcut. this will guide you through the setup, and make a client.cfg file for you. (or you can use mine :P)
    8. open a command prompt. Go to the bluetentacle app's readme page on the web (address is in readme.txt). Figure out what wswitches you want to use for a two-processor install. My command was this:
    C:\install-fah\service.exe -cpu=2 -dir="c:\fah" -sn="fah" -params="-local" -clientexe="FAH502-Console.exe" -noconfig -downloadclient="FAH502-Console.exe" -startservices

9. Fold on! You have two instances of FAH on your machine, set to run whenever the machine is on, even if you're not logged in. Feel free to open up task manager and set the affinity of the two processes to different cores.
    10. Feel free to delete the temp folder you've been using.

Note:
    I accomplished most of this (not the downloading) via a batch file. if you want, you can too. just make a batch file called FAH-install.bat or something and put the following inside. Put it in the same folder as the bluetentacle and FAH apps. Run it AFTER you make your client.cfg. I recommend making your client.cfg read-only before you run it as well. I've added a lot of pauses so you can watch and make sure everything is OK.

fah-install.bat:
    net stop (servicename)
    PAUSE
    sc delete (servicename)
    PAUSE
    rmdir C:\(old install path) /S /Q
    PAUSE
    C:\install-fah\service.exe -cpu=2 -dir="c:\fah" -sn="fah" -params="-local" -clientexe="FAH502-Console.exe" -noconfig -downloadclient="C:\install-fah\FAH502-Console.exe" -startservices
    PAUSE
    rmdir C:\install-fah /S /Q
    PAUSE

Here's the files I've mentioned. Good luck!
    easyFAH.zip

EDIT: sorry, I fixed the code above. The WYSIWYG editor took out some of my formatting.
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    so...did it work?