Networking Project

NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
edited October 2006 in Science & Tech
So heres the DL, i've been given a project in my networking class to design a network for a company. Its a small company with one floor, I need 20 nodes on the network, and all new equipment.

I need all of the following:
A server, 15 workstations, All the software, cable infrastructure equipment (i.e. punch through's/mounting.

Now heres where you (the crew of SM) come in. I really don't know a whole lot about servers and routers. I would like to know what you guys would feel would be a good reliable server/router for this company. There is no price limit but I want this to be cost effective. Best bang for the buck. I don't want to just pick out the most expensive cisco router and the most expensive blade server and call it a day. I want to pick out a server/router that will have the longest life for this company.

So, what are you guys' opinions on routers/servers?

Comments

• Park_7677Park_7677 Missouri Member
    edited October 2006
    I had to do a similar project while in Cisco Networking Academy. Just a thought: pick something out that works and be done with it.

Pick a server from Dell or HP with nice hardware. Justify it with warranty and the equipment and company is trusted to stand behind their product.

For the router, if you have to pick Cisco (if in CNA too), then simply go to Cisco's website and browse around. Unless you're required to include some advanced features like PoE, VoIP, etc then any router will do. Just make sure the WAN type is matched with your WAN and the LAN connection matches your LAN.

I designed mine in Viso with significant justification for each piece of hardware but in the end none of that mattered. What counted was I matched Ethernet with Ethernet, WAN type with WAN type, correct number of ports, hardware types, etc.

If you want opinions between a few different routers that seem similar then post them and we can help pick the best one.
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited October 2006
    for the router, just a basic easy work setup, id use a Cisco 2600 series router and a Cisco 2900 series switch.

simple, basic and it works, you could buy that for like $200, lol

the 2600 has awesome expansion bays to support all sorts of stuff, AUX, COM, ISDN units, fibre channle cards, 10/100's you name it.

the 2900 is a managed 16 port switch i think, it MIGHT be a 24. supports VPN and everything.

dont forget a firewall. a Cisco PIX for sure ;)

if you wanna go crazy they we use Csico 6500's and 8500's at work, lol ive never gotten to see the crazy routers they use but i know they are cisco, and theres no expense spared.

//edit//

cisco also makes switched routers, but i dont know much about them, might be worth reading up on.