Reliable 2-story Wireless Solution

CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
edited October 2006 in Science & Tech
Alright, here's the deal. My experience with wireless has been less than enjoyable. I've been battling with a wireless network at my parent's house for a couple years now. I'm still unable to provide any sort of reliability. All my computers at home are wired. The only reason I have a WAP is for visitors and when I need my work laptop at home.

Now, on to the reason for this post:

A coworker approached me today saying they have 2-story house and just picked up a second computer that came with "one of those wireless box thingies." She called her cable modem the "little black box." This shows her competency in anything networking related, let alone computer-oriented.

Their wireless router is upstairs. The best I could get from her is that it's Linksys brand. The connection downstairs is hit-or-miss, which I would expect.

I suggested she have her husband run a cable downstairs, and she says the house "may already be wired, because there are a bunch of funny connections all over." I'm hoping this is the case, but if not, I'm hoping I can get a preliminary plan together for possibly getting a more reliable wireless solution going.

Do you guys have any recommendations for setting up a decent wireless setup that can span two stories and have a considerable amount of reliability. She didn't flinch when I was mentioning prices for better equipment, and based on her description of the house, they have money. Although, I'd like to keep this cost-effective as well. Especially if this comes back to bite me by not working so well, I may have to incur some of the costs.

So, as I've said, I hate wireless with a passion. At least the typical consumer devices. What would you guys recommend?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Linksys SRX400 series 802.11G equipment with a wireless signal booster or two.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Cold air returns are your friends.... Wireless router downstairs/ basement carrying the DSL/ cable Modem signal... run network cable up the cold air return (Drop from upstairs) and connect to another wireless router in the second story. Set one to channel 1 and the other channel 6. The downstairs gives out DHCP... up stairs just acts as a repeater. Then every inch of the house is covered...
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Without knowing their floor plan - radio wave barriers and such, it's hard to comment. I know that in our three story home wireless has worked very well, and quite dependably. The second floor has the DSL modem and wireless router, which is a Linksys 54~ 201.11g. Two computers upstairs access the network via Linksys 11g internal card or Linksys 11g USB external wireless unit. First floor online XBox is connected through a wireless adaptor (forgot the brand and model). Even though the first and third floors 'line of sight' to the router on the second floor is blocked by stairs, floors, and doors, throughput has been excellent.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    All great suggestions, guys. Thanks.
    Thrax wrote:
    Linksys SRX400 series 802.11G equipment with a wireless signal booster or two.

Is there any advantage to using the SRX400 router with a standard wireless card? I'd grab them the SRX400 PCI card with it, but I'm thinking in case they get something in the future and try to set it up themselves.

//Edit: Thrax answered my question. It's a "no" for anyone who's interested. :)
    edited October 2006
    802.11G equipment with a wireless signal booster or two.
    Do those aftermarket large router antennae accomplish anything better than the stock router antennae?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    I don't mean antennae. I mean a WiFi repeater that plugs into a wall, but depending on the application, yes they do. Stock antennae are generally awful.
    edited October 2006
    Yeah, sorry about my cryptic post. I should have written: Repeaters are a bit pricey. What would you estimate the benefit of a repeater to be as compared to larger than stock router or wireless card antennae?
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited October 2006
    Cyclonite wrote:
    Is there any advantage to using the SRX400 router with a standard wireless card? I'd grab them the SRX400 PCI card with it, but I'm thinking in case they get something in the future and try to set it up themselves.

Every review I've read says you need the same speed booster thing on both ends to get the real results. But in reviews I've read like this one, there are even gains in speed and range if you have a standard wireless NIC on the other end...esp from the SRX400 router.

I put an SRX400 in a client's house. It's in the basement, old house, lots of lathe and plaster walls. I put the matching SRX400 PCI card in the desktop on the second floor (two floors above the router) and it gets an "excellent" signal. My ThinkPad's built in wireless gets a "very good" on the second floor through all that plaster.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Nice! Good to know. I'll probably be suggesting this to them, then.