which PCI-E card is best for oc/unlock ?

edited December 2006 in Hardware
The last card I bought for a game computer was an AGP card, Leadtek 6800LE 128MB. By unlocking from 8/4 to 12/6 pipes and overclocking from 300/700 to 450/900, its performance had almost doubled. Since then, I could not follow the current models and it seems that I will need to buy a PCIE card in short term. It would be great help if you could point out the unlocking/overclocking cards that you know. ATI or Nvidia does not matter, but 256bit memory interface would be my preference. Would you guys help me a little here? Thanks

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Niether company has released a card that really have unlockable features recently.... the 7800 and 7900 series cards were all modable but no unlocks. Also the new 8800 series cards have no unlocks on them that are known yet.
  • edited November 2006
    Niether company has released a card that really have unlockable features recently.... the 7800 and 7900 series cards were all modable but no unlocks. Also the new 8800 series cards have no unlocks on them that are known yet.

Thanks for the feedback Sledge. I was hoping to find another champ :( , 6800LE/XT was a lot of fun to play with.
  • sim2340sim2340 Bisley,Woking,Surrey
    edited December 2006
    I have an 7900GTKO 256MB PCIE its core clock is 580MHZ
    and Memory is 790MHZ.

I can OC the core to 629MHZ

and the memory to 896MHZ

Pretty cool cos its allready KO Superclocked:rarr:

This card retails at about $250-$300
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    The big thing Miage was looking for is a lower end card built on a higher end PCB so he could unlock pixel pipes to make the card better than it really is. Nvidia and its partners loved to do this as overall it was cheaper to order all the same PCB's and just mod the chips they put on them.
  • edited December 2006
    The big thing Miage was looking for is a lower end card built on a higher end PCB so he could unlock pixel pipes to make the card better than it really is. Nvidia and its partners loved to do this as overall it was cheaper to order all the same PCB's and just mod the chips they put on them.

Sim, thanks for the feedback and Sledge, thanks for the clarification. Sledge is right, I was looking for a PCI-E card that I can both unlock and overclock like 6800LE/XT(AGP). Apparently there isn't anything like that with the latest chips now, although 6800XT-AGP is still available. Price/performance wise X1950Pro was the best option, imho, and I bought that for this time.