XP1700+ JIUHB disappointment

edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
edited June 2003 in Hardware
I got my 1700 yesterday, ran downstairs and slapped it into a KT7A that was running a 1600 (that wouldn't OC worth a damn).
I booted in default, went into the BIOS and set for the standard settings for a 1700 and then ..... nothing. Cleared BIOS, still nothing.
IT IS DEAD. Well, it is on it's way back to Newegg and we will try again.
I can wait, I am not in a rush, I just want it NOW.:bawling:

Comments

• LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited June 2003
    How'd you know it was a jiuhb coming from newegg? Or didn't you until you got it?
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    I didn't know until I got it.
    date: 0312WPMW

Probably not the strongest date code, but should do fine. Will sure run a lot cooler at 1.6 than a TBird.
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited June 2003
    edcentric said
    I didn't know until I got it.
    date: 0312WPMW

Probably not the strongest date code, but should do fine. Will sure run a lot cooler at 1.6 than a TBird.

1.6? That thing outta go up over 2.0...
    edited June 2003
    if I got a new mobo I could.
    right now I will be happy with a cool runing 1.8 or so.
    These are all old KT7A v1 boards so 13x is my to multi and FSB over 140 gets real touchy for folding.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited June 2003
    LawnMM said
    How'd you know it was a jiuhb coming from newegg? Or didn't you until you got it?

I think Newegg is shipping JIUHB's now, I just got mine in yesterday from newegg.
  • hprhpr :o hi o:
    edited June 2003
    if i remember correctly the v1 kt7a boards DONT support tbreds :x
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2003
    hpr said
    if i remember correctly the v1 kt7a boards DONT support tbreds :x

I have heard that with the V1 KT7A running a T-Bred is sometimes possible, but seems to be a very hit-or-miss thing. My main rig is on one of these (with a T-Bird 1200 @ 1400) and I plan to try it out myself when I get a chance.

Anyone here have an opinion on that?

Sorry to hear about your problem, edcentric. I have ordered enough stuff from Newegg since December for two complete systems and have been very impressed with their service. (Fortunately, in my case everything has worked OK). Hope you get your replacement soon.

Prof
    edited June 2003
    hpr and prof:
    I use another cpu to check it out. One of mine will run and hte other won't. The one with the old bios will, figure that.
  • edited June 2003
    If it turns out that those old KT7A boards won't run a Tbred, you can get a MSI K7T Turbo2 KT133A mobo from Newegg for $55 and they will run all 266 fsb Tbreds with no problems with the latest bios. That way you can reuse your ram and everything in those old rigs and still use a modern proc and the price is pretty cheap. I have 1 of these running a Tbred B 1700 at 2000 MHz. They don't have an ISA slot though, so if you are using an ISA card in your present rig you would have to replace it with a PCI card.
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited June 2003
    Clutch said
    LawnMM said

I think Newegg is shipping JIUHB's now, I just got mine in yesterday from newegg.

No guarantees...its hit or miss.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited June 2003
    It seems like newegg is always getting the good batches of cpu's though, with stepping wise. I guess I got a hit with mine, I got a JIUHB from newegg last week.
  • LawnMMLawnMM Colorado
    edited June 2003
    Clutch said
    It seems like newegg is always getting the good batches of cpu's though, with stepping wise. I guess I got a hit with mine, I got a JIUHB from newegg last week.

I asked em about it, they wouldn't say what steppings they were shipping. So its luck of the draw...I think I'll spend the extra 20 and go for a sure thing ;)