Joining a windows workgroup

DonutDonut Maine New
edited November 2006 in Science & Tech
I've just installed Ubuntu on one of my folding boxes, how would I go about joining my Windows workgroup and enable filesharing? I'd also like to be able to monitor my folding progress if possible.

As of right now I've got 3 XP rigs on the network.

Is there an app similar to realVNC where I can run the Ubuntu rig from my main XP rig?

I'm sorry if these are very noob questions, but if my folding ppd. wasn't sucking wind....

Thanks

Comments

• drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    You need a Samba or CIFS server/client on your Ubuntu machine in order to do Windows File & Printer Sharing. There is an excellent HOWTO available over at the Ubuntu forums that walks you through the process. If you have any questions you can ask them here; I'm moderately familiar with the process. As far as monitoring goes, you can make a symbolic link to your FAH directory or whichever files your monitoring software needs and put the link in your shared folder.

Aside: symbolic links in Linux are similar to shortcuts under Windows with the difference being that most operations performed on the symbolic link are referred to the original file instead of just the run operation. This means that if you 'cat' the symlink you'll 'cat' the original file etc.

Most Linux distros have TightVNC in their package repositories. Try 'sudo apt-get install tightvnc' and see if you can get it. You may have to enable Ubuntu's default-disabled repositories to get it though. I haven't had any trouble connecting to RealVNC servers using TightVNC.

-drasnor :fold:
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited November 2006
    Thanks, I'll give it a shot.