eVGA nForce 680i error code 26

edited January 2010 in Hardware
Hello, I had recently recieved new computer equipment from Newegg. I was putting everything together and much to my dismay, I got a lovely error code 26 and all I get is a black screen on my monitor. Here are my system specs...

Motherboard: eVGA nForce 680i
CPU: Intel Core 2 duo E6600
RAM: OCZ Titanium 2GB DDR2 800 (2x1GB sticks)
GPU: 3D Fuzion Geforce 7600 GS
Powersupply: Hiper 580W

I called technical support for eVGA and the man I talked to said to try and clear the CMOS (which I did, didn't work). I asked him exactly what error code 26 meant and he didn't know the exact answer. But, I think I have narrowed it down to my video card. If I remove the video card entirely from my system, I can go through a full boot (starting with FF, pressing F1 at F7, and ending with FF). Also, if I put my video card in one of the other PCI-E slots on my m/b, it displays the BIOS start-up screen but tells me I must move my card back to Slot-1. If I do that, I don't get any picture at all and my computer is hung up on error code 26. WTF?

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    I think, unfortunately, that you're the only one with a 680i board on the whole forum. :\ I'd love to help you, but I just don't know.
  • edited November 2006
    It's great to be on the cutting edge of technology. :(
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited November 2006
    Does the Motherboard have onboard graphics? If so try disabling them. Also is the Mobo running the newest bios updates from EVGA? they love to slip in new updates after the units ship.

//EDIT:// I see it does not have onboard graphics... what about the Bios update?
  • edited November 2006
    I don't believe my motherboard has onboard graphics.
    edited November 2006
    From a little looking around I think I found your issue: This is from the Motherboards Manual...

Code(hex): 26
    Name: Clock
    Description: Gen Init onboard clock generator and sensor

http://www.evga.com/products/pdf/680i%20manual.pdf (page 113)

Looks like you have a faulty Motherboard. Call EVGA and see what they can do about this error if anything... If they can't do anything call Newegg and have them replace it.

I have now looked even further to find a few other users with the issues on Foxconn and EVGA boards and the answer was to replace the mobo, in the 3 cases I have found thus far.

The funny thing is EVGA's Tech guy couldn't look that up? "Maybe I should apply" What the heck are they doing over there using the motherboard manuals for toilet paper?
  • edited November 2006
    Aww man! 250 dollar motherbaord and I gotta send it back. How do ya like that? :( Thank you so much Sledgehammer for your effort. You responded faster than eVGA's technical support.
    edited November 2006
    I don't know if it's been answered, but can you get the system to boot AT ALL to update the BIOS? Earlier revisions of the 680i's BIOS (frankly) sucked.
  • edited November 2006
    Booting doesn't do much good if you can't see anything. lol
    edited November 2006
    Have an old PCI video card?
  • edited November 2006
    Mmm... I think we just might. Why?
    edited November 2006
    Give the PCI card a try, but the error you are getting has nothing to do with the Graphics card or Graphics card slot. It is all about the Mobo.

But to sooth your mind you can try that GPU in another PC to see if it works, if you have another PC that can support it.

**Note: back when the ASUS A8N-SLI Del's came out I got to bad board before I got a good working one, and to be honest that board has died on my again with 2 dimm slots going bad. Its what we get for getting the best of the best the week they come out :)
  • edited November 2006
    Well, I don't think that will be neccessary Sledge. But thanks for the input. She's all packaged up and ready to head out to the RMA department.
  • edited December 2006
    Dodger wrote:
    Well, I don't think that will be neccessary Sledge. But thanks for the input. She's all packaged up and ready to head out to the RMA department.

Hi Dodger,

Did you get your issue resolved with your replacement? I got the exact same problem too and will need to RMA as well. Must be bad luck on my part. Evga tech support had told me the same thing by clearing the cmos. Your thread really helped narrow down the issue. The Evga tech support guy had told me it was a video problem and could be a faulty slot.
  • MadballMadball Fort Benton, MT
    edited December 2006
    This board seems to be very hit and miss in the quality department. I seem to be a lucky one and got a good one. But many people haven't been so lucky. It doesn't seem to be just this evga board, but the nvidia 680i chipset. If anyone is interested in getting a board with this chipset, I would suggest waiting for a newer revision.

When they do work good, it is an outstanding chipset. The best I have ever used. Overclocking is incredibly simple.
  • edited December 2006
    O. M. F. G.

I just got a new board today and guess what... IT'S THE SAME FREAKEN PROBLEM! I'm ready to rip my hair out. This is ridiculous! Please tell me there as been a little progession as far as a solution is concerned. I can't believe I got a bad board TWICE.

EDIT: Well, according to a customer review on Newegg.com, the 3D Fuzion 7600 GS (my exact card, btw) is NOT compatible with my motherboard. This is what he had to say exactly...

"Pros: This board has it all. Overclock E6600 to 3.6 easily.

Cons: Beware. Beware. This mother board is not compatible with the 3D Fusion 7600 GS. It wont post and will give error code 26 on the mobo. It will post in PCIe 2 but it only post the error that it must be in PCIe 1. I swap the video card with my old HIS X800XL and it works fine.

Other Thoughts: For this price, the heat pipes could be copper."

That's exactly what my problem is.
  • MadballMadball Fort Benton, MT
    edited December 2006
    Damn, that sucks. There is a beta bios avail if your interested. ftp://ftp.evga.com/BIOS/nf68_p23beta.exe

I hope it helps. The many problems with this board is very disapointing. I am VERY relieved I haven't had any issues with mine.

I currently have my 6300 @ 2.87ghz. That's a bus speed of 410 and a 1ghz overclock and running very cool and completely stable.
  • edited December 2007
    I am having the same issue... did you ever resolve this?

I was using the pc fine and i think it "overheated" No overclocking here... anyways... pc then wouldn't boot with this 26 error code... I am going to try a different power supply as I think the problem may lie there.

Did you resolve this? what was your issue?
  • edited December 2007
    Just for future reference... changed the power supply and it worked just as i had suspected.
  • edited June 2008
    Yea, i'm getting this same problem...
    I've switched out my power supply 3 times... and I'd rather hope that's not the issue. I don't have a higher wattage PS laying around. Mines about 650.

Intel 3.0 dual core
    2x Maxtor 300g HD
    NVidia 6800 series GeForce
    2x 1 gig OCZ ram
    Sony 52x/32x/52x/16x DVDR/CDRW

I'm not sure if I should try a bigger PS or what.

Any ideas?

*I'm obviously not very tech savvy... I knew enough to put my system together and really the only trouble i've had with it is my power supplies... but before I'd never recieved an error code, it just would never start. Now it starts, does the error code but won't display anything.
  • TrumpTrump Northern MN
    edited January 2010
    I have the EVGA X58 SLI LE Motherboard. Upon booting I get the same Code 26. But if I reboot the system comes up and runs fine. If I do a restart it works everytime. The issue only happens after the PC has been off for over 1 hour. A warm boot works everytime. I have been trying to find a solution but for now I have been living with this for the past few months.