Just installed a 750W supply. power in short supply :)

MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
edited December 2006 in Hardware
I just put this supply in last night : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817153036

Was really torn about getting it, but I had a CompUsa credit from their networking business program that had to be used by Dec 30. Figured this would be a good step toward my core2duo/8800GT-sli system.

It has a host of power connectors. First PSU I didn't need splitters for. (6 SATA, 2 PATA, CD, DVD, 2 PCI-E). Hehe as you can see I used most of them, but actually had a few left.

Is very quiet. The voltage control is very precise. All the voltages from the PSU never ever move. Not even a hundreth of a volt. At 85%+ efficiency it might even help the power bill a bit.

Hopefully it will give me enough juice when I need it.

Here's a shot of the voltages.

Comments

• edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    Looks hot.
    What power level is the eff rated at?
    I just wish that Newegg had enough strock to force PSU companies to list spec to the required standards and not leave so much info out.
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited December 2006
    You're right about some info being hard to find.

The thermaltake site is pretty much useless for info too.

I remember reading somewhere that the efficiency ratings were for the 50%-80% load range. (Don't remember where - old age brain fart).

This article seems to correlate that info : http://pcper.com/article.php?aid=266

I just remember when I was researching it that since my system draws about 450-485 watts that I fell into the right place on the curve for it and would have some "growth" room.

Water cooling is quiet, but bumps up power load a bit more than a heatsink/fan. I always like to have a good stable supply with a lot of excess capability cause when I'm testing a new system configuration I don't want to worry about a lack of power issue being involved. I just hate those guys who jump up and say "What power supply are you running?" It is a valid concern, but being an old school engineer and experiencing many power related issues with things other than computers I like to take weak power out of the equation before it even gets started. :)

If this supply keeps running smooth like it has been I think it'll fall into the "worth its cost" category :ninja:
  • edited December 2006
    Looks to be a really good psu, Missileman. Here's a review of that psu at the jonnyGURU website and he also highly rated this psu. In the review, he say's that it is a Channel Well built psu.